British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
racers and royals

Stockholm Gp September 21st

They wont have a larger attendance next year, The novelty of a new stadium always attracts a good crowd.

What did Birmingham get on their opening night?

The first year of Cardiff the attendance was 38000 in 2010 it was 45000, I am not sure how reliable these figures are but there certainly wasn't a significant drop. I think there's more to it than the novelty of a new stadium, like the quality of entertainment on offer.

I think the heat 2 crash and seeing Gollob laying there motionless took the shine off the meeting for me. That and the constant banging on about Tai from the commentary duo.

Personally, I don't think any of the temp tracks make for good meetings and last nights was anything but a "thiller". People rave about Cardiff, but it's the atmosphere not the actual racing that's good. The racing at Stockholm last night was better than that served up at Cardiff this year, but IMO not a patch on the majority of the GP's this season.

Really hope the news on Gollob is more positive than some reports are suggesting. Whilst 2013 hasn't been a vintage year for him, he's still brings a lot to the GP's. Hopefully he'll be fit enough to accept a WC next year.

It was not the best GP but it was still way better then GPs like Prague, Krsko and Daugavpils.

The most recent years I think the quality of the temporary tracks have improved (except for Cardiff this year) and I think that they provide pretty good racing.

This was also the first GP at this stadium which is less then one year old so I would guess that they for each year would be better creating and grading the track.

I also think that the first year is (obviously) very crucial. Its a new stadium and nobody really knows what to expect and therefore stayed at home.

It isn't always only the racing itself that is the only factor, for a stadium like this which is some distance outside the most central parts of the city,

transportation is also important to some extent and so far its more then a km to nearest commuter train station (Solna station).

However the station is currently undergoing construction and from next summer a new station house will have been built with a new pedestrian bridge over the tracks.

I'm not sure much this really improves the situation since it still seems to be around 1000m from the station to the arena.

Edited by Ghostwalker

PLUS the police closed off the roads in the immediate area until 11pm which meant a long walk to the nearest taxi point. Transport to and from the stadium is the only issue we had especially as there is little car parking available.

But there is a lot more space at the Friends Arena than either the Millennium or Parken and the pits area for the riders was superb. The stadium authorities are keen to build on this opener (BSI have a five year contract).

Hope Gollob is okay... that's a pretty bad injury on a big vertebrae. The central nervous system runs all the way down the middle of the spine, any movement in there isn't good at all, fingers crossed that he gets sorted out and makes a full recovery.

Fingers crossed for Tai also, the last thing he will have wanted was to collide with Gollob, he is leading the title race and simply needs steady points on the board.

Sad to see these injuries, these temporary indoor tracks, although a source of good 'hemmed in volume' for atmosphere, don't appear to be safe one bit. Rain-proof, yes, but after the Cardiff "will it - won't it?" farce, I'd rather see us have an alternative venue where you can actually get real racing on a real track.

• Like 1

It seems that he will recover, no surgery was needed and as soon as he feels a little better he will be moved from the hospital in Stockholm to a hospital in Bydgoszcz.

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=sv&sl=pl&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.espeedway.pl%2Fnews%2Ctomasz_gollob_nie_musi_byc_operowany%2C65256%2C12.html

• Like 2

Hope Gollob is okay... that's a pretty bad injury on a big vertebrae. The central nervous system runs all the way down the middle of the spine, any movement in there isn't good at all, fingers crossed that he gets sorted out and makes a full recovery.

Fingers crossed for Tai also, the last thing he will have wanted was to collide with Gollob, he is leading the title race and simply needs steady points on the board.

Sad to see these injuries, these temporary indoor tracks, although a source of good 'hemmed in volume' for atmosphere, don't appear to be safe one bit. Rain-proof, yes, but after the Cardiff "will it - won't it?" farce, I'd rather see us have an alternative venue where you can actually get real racing on a real track.

I see your point about the temporary tracks but the truth of it is we are ging to have to get used to more arenas as and when they are built. Surely the organisers would be happy if every round were indoor, guaranteed racing etc etc, yes I know about Cardiff but in general indoor tracks have improved big time over the years and with controlled environments will only get better still, arenas are 100% the future of GP speedway

Perhaps when the GP series is virtually all indoors, say within 4 or 5 yrs, the European Championships can then have the pick of the proper tracks and push itself into the picture.

It seems that he will recover, no surgery was needed and as soon as he feels a little better he will be moved from the hospital in Stockholm to a hospital in Bydgoszcz.

http://translate.goo...y,65256,12.html

That's fantastic news, thanks for keeping us updated Ghostwalker, much appreciated. I know things can change with situations like this but it's still heartening to learn they are considering such a move.

These men, Gollob, Tai, Emil, Holder et al, they really are made of stern stuff, to keep coming back after these sort of crashes is mindblowing to a mere mortal like myself, such bravery.

http://translate.goo...y,65256,12.html

Positive news to a point. Still bad though.

I had the misfortune of attending a hospital in Bydgoszcz when i broke my leg before the gp in 06 after a vodka related incident, and it's not a pleasant place - hope Mr Gollob is going private.

If you mean the university hospital next to the speedway track? things have changed a bit. I worked there for a spring few years ago. It seemed to be a very nice hospital with pretty good equipment.

Not related to master Gollob..but a few years agao we had a young lady watching the pre-meeting fireworks...Got a hot particle in her eye..taken immediately to this very modern Bydgoszcz hospital A & E...seen in 10 minutes..sorted..back in the stadium by heat 8...I defy anyone in UK to get such superb attention & treatment.

DON'T know of anyone who was there who thought the track contributed to Tai/Tomasz crash ...

I don't get the criticism either. That crash was something you CANNOT legislate for. Better tracks, air fence, air jackets, indicators. Until someone invents the human protector bubble that crash sort of proves, you'll always get injuries.

Well my first gp in a while. Must say was very good. I found the transport to and from the staduim via train was excellent and to the airport. Only 100 mtr from hotel to station and centre of town. Staduim was very nice like a mini cardiff and the vip food was great. Thought the track held up well and produced good racing all night. ( hope Mr G is fine ) Would def go again to this one. Nice to meet up with all old BSI friends and phil and dave at the hotel. Overall very good trip and big thanks to bsi for sorting it all for us, top job.

DON'T know of anyone who was there who thought the track contributed to Tai/Tomasz crash ...

Track had nothing to do with crash, Tai lifted a bit and hit Gollob who then highsided. Very nasty crash and lets hope all will be ok for both riders.

Well my first gp in a while. Must say was very good. I found the transport to and from the staduim via train was excellent and to the airport. Only 100 mtr from hotel to station and centre of town. Staduim was very nice like a mini cardiff and the vip food was great. Thought the track held up well and produced good racing all night. ( hope Mr G is fine ) Would def go again to this one. Nice to meet up with all old BSI friends and phil and dave at the hotel. Overall very good trip and big thanks to bsi for sorting it all for us, top job.

Track had nothing to do with crash, Tai lifted a bit and hit Gollob who then highsided. Very nasty crash and lets hope all will be ok for both riders.

I NEED to go for a lie down! Good to see you, too

Staduim was very nice like a mini cardiff and the vip food was great.

Well as long as the VIP food is acceptable all seems well with speedway.

:blink:

I NEED to go for a lie down! Good to see you, too

Would have thought you'd hacked his account... :lol:
  • Like 1