British Speedway Forum
Paul

Kent 2013

So its Raiders at Sittingbourne Central Park in 2013, 6.30pm start on Monday nights! Interesting to see how that one goes!

• Like 1

Team to be called Kent with nickname to be decided, two-years in NL and then if successful PL application! Sounds good.

http://www.hertfords...nt-29112012.htm

How about the Kent Curfews?

Not surprised that the Raiders aren't running next year. It was a nightmare fitting in the fixtures after the shocking weather... Really hope the venture succeeds, but I have my reservations about the 6.30pm start time.

Doubt I'll be able to attend any of the Monday evening meetings, but may pop along to a Bank Holiday fixture if it doesn't clash with a Rockets meeting

Edited by Shadders

Great thet this news is finally out! Good luck to this venture, certainly hope to make a couple of visits during 2013

• Like 1

6.30 start time on a Monday night??? I hope they get plenty of home support, cause I can't see many away fans getting there for that time.

Yeah, its part of the planning permission which was granted, now if they could have made it an hour later...however, i doubt 1 hour here or there will make that much difference to travelling Heathens fans, but remember it will mean we should get home 1 hour earlier. :wink: Good luck to everyone at Central Park it may not be another Team, but it is another Track.

Edited by greyhoundp

Great that the news is now out and I am sure more details will come out over the coming days/weeks including why the team will be known as Kent (nickname to be announced) etc.

I appreciate people will see possible problems with start time and curfew but it was part of the planning permission and I'm sure it can be turned to an advantage if marketed correctly ie use the early finish as a positive to get families and kids there.

Neil "Nikko" Day

Great thet this news is finally out! Good luck to this venture, certainly hope to make a couple of visits during 2013

Be great to see you and some of the other great Fen Tigers fans there mate

• Like 3

Remember that it is only us old fans who see the start time as strange, if they aim for a new market - then the time might make sense, as said very child friendly - I know at some home meetings we don't get away until after 930 which is not great for any family.

• Like 1

Good news about Sittingbourne, pity it is the Raiders that are going there BUT it is another stand alone team in the NL, now are there anymore surprises to be sprung before the AGM in January?????

Taken from the BSPA website -

Rye House has announced that there will not be a Raiders team entered in the National League for 2013. Instead, the whole operation will move to Central Park Stadium, Sittingbourne, where the team of Rye House contracted riders will operate as "Kent".

As Rye promoter Len Silver explains, "This is a better opportunity for far more meetings for our riders, who will make better progress as a result. We will still stage a few meetings with them at Hoddesdon during the season on dates when our senior team are racing away from home at Workington and Berwick.

“It was always difficult to fit in all the league commitments, and this plan provides the best of both worlds, with our riders getting better training and not quite such a hectic programme at Hoddesdon."

As previously announced, the opening meeting at Rye House in 2013 will be slightly later than in previous years, with Easter Monday (April 1st @ 2pm) named as the scheduled date. Ipswich will provide the Rockets’ opposition in an official Premier Trophy match.

Please also find below additional information on the new Kent venture, which is contained in this separate release:

Roger Cearns, who is the Chief Executive Officer at Central Park Stadium in Sittingbourne, Kent, and already responsible for the very successful Greyhound Racing operation there, has applied to the BSPA for a licence to run Speedway in his stadium.

Although Roger has some personal history in the sport having been involved

at Hackney during its latter years, he is being assisted in this new venture by Len Silver of Rye House.

It is planned to run a team in the National League for 2013 operating on Monday evenings, with Bank Holiday Monday , May 6th, penciled in as the opening date. Apart from Bank Holidays (when meetings will start at 3pm), normal Mondays will see a 6.30pm start with a Council imposed curfew of 8.30.

20 meetings are scheduled for 2013. If the venture is reasonably successful, as expected, the probability is that the team, known as "Kent" will race two seasons at National League level and then apply to move into the Premier league.

The track, currently under construction, will measure 264 meters, with wide corners to encourage plenty of passing manoeuvres. The stadium itself will be one of, if not the, finest in the sport with over 2000 seats plus a fine restaurant and corporate entertainment suites, and licenced bars and fast food outlets in addition. All spectators will have a superb view of the racing from high level accommodation.

Initially the riders for the team will come from those at Rye House and the Raiders will not be league members for 2013. However, a number of National League standard matches will remain part of the Rye House programme, albeit less than in the past.

Roger is delighted to be back involved in the sport and commented, "My family has a long tradition in Speedway and was very much involved with stadium building in the early days, particularly in London. This project at Sittingbourne has taken many years to get off the ground and it is very gratifying that we are at last under way. I am pleased to have Len (Silver) alongside to help me and I am very confident that together we can make it a success."

The team name "Kent" will dictates that the team logo will be a red rampant horse which is the Kent County emblem. No nickname has been decided and the public will be asked to submit their ideas with a prize for the person selecting the name chosen. Some of the names suggested so far have been Spitfires, Hurricanes, Invicta, Crusaders (the old Canterbury title), Bishops and Pilgrims. All have Kent connections and persons wishing to enter the competition should send their entries to "Speedway", Central Park Stadium, Church Rd., Sittingbourne, ME10 3SB.

This is also the address for those interested in becoming track staff.

Would it be possible to change the title of this thread to Kent Speedway 2013 as this venture does not own the name Sittingbourne as this is owned by the setup at Iwade and it's unfair on them.

I have known the guys at Iwade for years and the great work they do for the sport but Kent is a new venture and to avoid confusion should be referred to as Kent.

If you have ideas for a nickname for the new club, let us know.

• Like 2