British Speedway Forum
Paul

Kent 2013

Yeah totally agree aj! We've got good crowds now with a team that's struggling? If u put a decent team 2gether and higher quality racing then will surely attract more people. Ud also have the attraction of a different team each week which wud also in sure increase interest

Steve will be in the Premier League next year,no doubt.After rekindling his interest in Speedway,it would be nice if he stayed with Kent on the journey up? :t:

Exactly why i think the move up to the PL is even more tempting? I think if we go up he will stay with us as he seems to b getting a lot out of everything at the mo? Helping with track etc?

Steve will be in the Premier League next year,no doubt.After rekindling his interest in Speedway,it would be nice if he stayed with Kent on the journey up? :t:

Exactly why i think the move up to the PL is even more tempting? I think if we go up he will stay with us as he seems to b getting a lot out of everything at the mo? Helping with track etc?

No doubt about it. Steve Boxall is doing well wit Kent Kings but let's put his vast experience into perspective. He's not exactly a newcomer to the sport is he? Boxall is doing what a rider of his experience should be doing in a competition like the National League.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Boxall

If all goes well i did hear somewhere( and dont take this as gospel ) That the plan was 2yrs National league then move up to the premier,,with efforts to raise the curfew as time goes on, as they prove to the council that Kent Kings are good neighbours .. All this will no doubt come down to the financial implications which tend to change on a yearly basis Speculation about Steve Boxall at this stage, is just that speculation...

Boxhall is riding at Ipswich tonight in a select side at the John Berry memorial meeting. Should be interesting to see how he goes

Message for gustix....

I can GUARANTEE to you that it will NOT be the Sittingbourne Rockets in 2014.

Edited by Nikko

Message for gustix....

I long ago ceased making guarantees about anything that involves speedway. But each to his own opinion.

Edited by Guest

Great to see Steve top scoring last nite for the select team! Looked like there was some good riders there too so more than held his own. With regard to Gustix's post about Steve, yes we know he should be riding and performing like he is with his experience etc but there was always gonna b that little bit of worry as to whether he came back so good after the time out he had? But was certainly no need to worry with the performances he's putting in? Also waco if that is the plan then seems a very sensible one to me? My only worry is keeping the crowds going with another year of NL racing unless we can put a good strong side together?

Also does anyone know whats happening regarding the air fence for next season? Notice a few of the teams are doing fund raising stuff already to help towards paying for it? Didnt know if the promotion were gonna be doing a similar thing or if theyve got it in hand already? Totally agree with all tracks having it but its a lot of money to find in such a short space of time? Perhaps Nikko could fill us in if there's anything planned as im sure most of us would be happy to do our bit if needed?

Yeah totally agree aj! We've got good crowds now with a team that's struggling? If u put a decent team 2gether and higher quality racing then will surely attract more people. Ud also have the attraction of a different team each week which wud also in sure increase interest

Given the difference between Premier League & National League costs in terms of points money, travel expenses (there are currently 6 PL teams much further north than anywhere Kent visit in the NL) and signing-on fees, you'd probably need to be confident of attracting around an extra 300 fans to every home meeting despite bumping up the admission prices (or an extra £50,000 a year in sponsorship) to even start thinking about moving up to the PL.

It's easy to think you can achieve those extra targets ... much, much harder to actually do them successfully.

You'll find plenty of fans (and companies) along the way who talk enthusiastically about supporting a move up but drift away remarkably quickly when it doesn't quite turn out as they'd hoped, leaving those in charge still facing all the increased costs without as much revenue as they reckoned had been promised.

Kent Kings will benefit much better from a year or two more becoming more successful in the NL while building awareness in the local area of their existence before tackling anything more ambitious ... look at how carefully Dudley have been building themselves in the NL without rushing up to the PL despite starting with a fanbase already existing from the fabled history of the Heathens at Cradley Heath and the ability to have a normal weekday start-time at Wolverhampton each Tuesday.

By the way, if one of the biggest reasons for moving up to the PL is that it's the only way to keep Steve Boxall in the side, then you're much better off staying in the NL and letting him nosedive again elsewhere in the PL ... he's undoubtedly one of the greatest examples this country's ever had of a rider who's great when he's at the top-end of the riders he's racing against (or his confidence is high) but who tails off dreadfully when he's faced with tougher opposition (or his confidence takes the very slightest of dents).

I wouldn't get too excited either about him top-scoring for the visitors in last night's John Berry Memorial at Ipswich because a quick look at the scorecard shows 7 of his 9 points came from beating 5 reserves, 1 retirement and 1 absent rider (caused by using rules from John Berry's era) so he beat just 2 finishers from the main body of the home side (Leigh Lanham in heat-4 & Alex Davies in heat-6) ... then in the individual races that rounded off the meeting, he didn't appear in his qualifying heat because the updater noted "No Boxall Bike Nackered".

Edited by arthur cross

Happy to post some comments on the previous few posts.

Gustix - its not my opinion, its a fact.

Gammy73 - yes indeed we are working on looking at sponsorship for the air fence, early indications are that we will be able to sell "panels" to local companies and some have already taken us up on the offer. We are also looking for some fund raising ideas over the rest of this season.

With regards to when/if the Kings go into the PL there is a business plan in place, and this is reviewed periodicially.

There are a number of factors to consider, some mentioned already, some not, but this will be decided by Mr Cearns.

Hope that helps.

Regards

Nikko

By the way, if one of the biggest reasons for moving up to the PL is that it's the only way to keep Steve Boxall in the side, then you're much better off staying in the NL and letting him nosedive again elsewhere in the PL ... he's undoubtedly one of the greatest examples this country's ever had of a rider who's great when he's at the top-end of the riders he's racing against (or his confidence is high) but who tails off dreadfully when he's faced with tougher opposition (or his confidence takes the very slightest of dents).

I wouldn't get too excited either about him top-scoring for the visitors in last night's John Berry Memorial at Ipswich because a quick look at the scorecard shows 7 of his 9 points came from beating 5 reserves, 1 retirement and 1 absent rider (caused by using rules from John Berry's era) so he beat just 2 finishers from the main body of the home side (Leigh Lanham in heat-4 & Alex Davies in heat-6) ... then in the individual races that rounded off the meeting, he didn't appear in his qualifying heat because the updater noted "No Boxall Bike Nackered".

When I was a boy we described this as "taking candy from the kids!"

In a similar vein to the current team not being the Sittingbourne Raiders? I realise that the recent history of the co-promoter, team manager and four riders is purely coincidental.

Thanks for the update Nikko. Much appriciated. As i said when i first put the subject of moving up to PL was only a discussion topic? Just interested to see peoples views etc? I for one am behind whatever you guys decide. Good to hear about the sponsorship plans for the air fence too? I see other tracks are doing lots of bits to help raise the money, im sure any ideas to help would be supported by us the supporters to do our bit to help too?

in last nights RH programme Len referred to Kent as their 'sister track'....wonder if the potential air fence probs at the launchpad are making Len think..or am i making 2+2=5?

Sittingbourne Rockets 2014? Joke of course!

Isn't Steve Boxall a Rye House asset? As earlier posted - see quotes - but Sittingbourne Rockets 2014. It would be nice to see Shadders views?

If all goes well i did hear somewhere( and dont take this as gospel ) That the plan was 2yrs National league then move up to the premier,,with efforts to raise the curfew as time goes on, as they prove to the council that Kent Kings are good neighbours .. All this will no doubt come down to the financial implications which tend to change on a yearly basis Speculation about Steve Boxall at this stage, is just that speculation...

Message for gustix....

I long ago ceased making guarantees about anything that involves speedway. But each to his own opinion.

In a similar vein to the current team not being the Sittingbourne Raiders? I realise that the recent history of the co-promoter, team manager and four riders is purely coincidental.

Strange things happen in speedway's close season. Things CAN change dramatically. I I guess at the end of the day it's a case of "wait and see?"