Beat the Bookie GP prize competition 2024 Read more... ×
British Speedway Forum
Paul

Kent 2013

Seeing as how the horse is the logo, i dont see how you can have Kestrals or Hurricanes or Bishops

Kent Carthorses

Edited by Shadders

Seeing as how the horse is the logo, i dont see how you can have Kestrals or Hurricanes or Bishops .. .Kent Colts would be a great name and fits ideally with the logo and young riders....Looking forward to the new season and wish the promotion and the team every success.....

Fair point about the horse - the county symbol of course.

Colts is good - a previous name for Iwade (the 'other' Sittingbournbe club) though.

The symbol (a rampant white horse) is known in heraldry as Invicta and, in truth, if the decision's been made to use this symbol then it really forces the hands and the club name should surely be that: Kent Invicta...

There has been in relatively recent times a senior sporting side in the county with this name, the short-lived Rugby League side which played at the old Maidstone United ground. Ironically Maidstone's misfortunes financially saw them lose that ground and until the end of last season were ground sharing at Sittingbourne's ground right next to Central Park.

The other use of the name Invicta is in a Step 6 division below the Kent Football League - contains among its 16 clubs, Lydd United! This is a very new football league only in its second season.

Invicta FM was also the name of the Kent county commercial radio station (and they did for a while, give quite good coverage to Sittingbourne Crusaders) but now that's called Heart FM - so can't see any obstacles really to using the splendid Invicta name.

I hope Connor coles is part of the team, looked realy good when I saw him this season.

Any ideas on the team.

Supposedly based on this years Rye House team. I don't know if any of the old Sittingbourne riders would return, Mark Baseby perhaps and what's Harland Cook doing now?

what's Harland Cook doing now?

Mentioned in the grasstrack section of the Speedway Star

Edited by Shadders

Supposedly based on this years Rye House team. I don't know if any of the old Sittingbourne riders would return, Mark Baseby perhaps and what's Harland Cook doing now?

Hope it is stronger and more competative than the Raiders team.

I think it is important to have a team that can do well to keep crowds up.

Fair point about the horse - the county symbol of course.

Colts is good - a previous name for Iwade (the 'other' Sittingbournbe club) though.

The symbol (a rampant white horse) is known in heraldry as Invicta and, in truth, if the decision's been made to use this symbol then it really forces the hands and the club name should surely be that: Kent Invicta...

There has been in relatively recent times a senior sporting side in the county with this name, the short-lived Rugby League side which played at the old Maidstone United ground. Ironically Maidstone's misfortunes financially saw them lose that ground and until the end of last season were ground sharing at Sittingbourne's ground right next to Central Park.

The other use of the name Invicta is in a Step 6 division below the Kent Football League - contains among its 16 clubs, Lydd United! This is a very new football league only in its second season.

Invicta FM was also the name of the Kent county commercial radio station (and they did for a while, give quite good coverage to Sittingbourne Crusaders) but now that's called Heart FM - so can't see any obstacles really to using the splendid Invicta name.

The 3 ice hockey teams based at Gillingham are known as the Invicta Dynamos, Mustangs and Dynamics. I tend to think that a team name nickname needs to be plural, if that makes sense. "Come on you Invicta" doesn't have the same ring about it as "Come on you Dons" - oops, couldn't resist that!

I suggested once before that the Sittingbourne Stadium website has the perfect name for the new team on its home page - Sittingbourne Greyhounds - with the No. 1 greyhound symbol above it a ready made race jacket design. Accepting that the team name will be Kent, why not the Kent Greyhounds? Or do you think some would turn up to watch the Greyhounds expecting to see doggies instead of the bikes?

I'll be there to watch whatever the name - although I might think twice if its the 'awks or the 'ammers!!!

You could call them 'Kent Supermen' after Clark.

You might have stumbled on something here... How about the Kent Kryptons?!

Good Call. And you could rename the road leading up to the stadium to Lois Lane.

• Like 1

Good Call. And you could rename the road leading up to the stadium to Lois Lane.

............thats only because you can say to everybody i'm been up Lois Lane.......................................i'll get my coat

• Like 2

Was a Canterbury supporter from start to finish ,and as there is no chance of the Kent team being the Crusaders, I will suggest the old Crayford name of Highwaymen.