British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
number6

250 Grasstrack Bike

Can anyone help me please as to where i might find regs for a grasstrack bike. I am wanting to race grasstrack next season. I have got my dads old bike which i am going to rebuild. Which engines are ideal and allowed to race in 250 upright catagory? I saw a pic of who I believed to be lee street using an upright 250 anyone have any idea what engine he uses?

Thanks

have a look at grasstrack.net and grasstrack gb both will have regs when the clubs make them available. As for an engine 250 2 or 4 stroke motocross engine is fine although all the top riders use jawa lay down. cheapest way would be a 2 stroke from a 90s motocross bike should be able to pick one up for around £600 ebay gum tre ect. But if you are doing this make it quick as mx clubs are starting to run supper evo class next year and i can see the price of the bikes going up ie evo is pre 1990 supper evo pre 1999 and the air cooled engine are from twinshock bikes evo and twinshock most popular so higher costs

The ACU handbook contains all the iformation you need regarding bike regs. There is an online version on their website www.acu.org.uk. For your info Lee Street used to ride 2-stroke 250s, Yamahas I think and they along with a variety of other 250 2 strokes are still used today, so are mx 4 strokes like the Honda CRF or KTM SXF, or of course there is the JRM 250. The class is quite diverse.

Can anyone help me please as to where i might find regs for a grasstrack bike. I am wanting to race grasstrack next season. I have got my dads old bike which i am going to rebuild. Which engines are ideal and allowed to race in 250 upright catagory? I saw a pic of who I believed to be lee street using an upright 250 anyone have any idea what engine he uses?

Thanks

There is a grass track section on the forum, but the boys (and girls), use uprights and laydowns. Laydowns are usually GMs and Jawas. You can run 2 stroke or 4 stroke. Not sure what Lee uses. It's a good class to start with, but some riders stay with 250 cc, without changing. What frame and engine is dad's bike?

have a look at grastrack.net and grasstrack gb. check ebay for 250 engine 2 stroke the cheapest but could fit 250f best way buy complet bike then sell off whats not needed. belive lee street raced antig yz

Its a frame from when he rode in the 80's hence reason i cant get any parts for the engine. I am unsure the make of frame. Thanks for help.

Bikes used in the 250 class - up until about 2005 were always built in upright frames - the bikes Lee Street and all the other succesful riders rode were 250 2 stroke watercooled bikes using engines taken from motocross bikes - Yamaha and KTM seemed popular.At the same time those who prefered the smoother power of four strokes used older engines like BSA - the odd rare Weslake 250 and some used Honda XL250 road going engines but these 4 strokes could not touch the 2 strokes at the sharp end of the racing.There was also an introduction for a while of the Honda CRF250 4 strokes which offered modern technology - albiet with wicked power bands(like the 2 strokes) that arent neccessarily suited for sliding bikes around corners!

That all changed in the mid 2000s when Jawa introduced a 250 engine -housed in modern laydown monoshock frames and eventually they have come to completely dominate this class - much to the disapointment of many who enjoyed the 250s as it offered a different spectacle to the 350 and 500 class.

At Club standard meetings you can compete pretty well on a 2 or 4 stroke MX engined machine but at National Level its 250 Jawas all the way.....

You can view some classic two stroke action on the below youtube link - see the powebands kick in and the riders fight the bikes as they head upwards and sideways - sometimes at the same time!!!!

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=aigqZf3Hcto

Edited by guestie8

What engine is it and whats wrong with it i have been racing twinshock and evo motocross for last few years so may know where to get spares. Can still get parts for almost all 80s motocross bikes if you know where to look. There is a dutch company who do nos spares for all the jap bikes and can supply most parts

Its got a suzuki RM250 engine fitted if your know your engines i could send you pics to try and help me get year however i do have the engine number. I was debating getting it converted from the mag and coils over to points. As someone did that once on my 125.

you should be able to id the engine if you go onto vintage suzuki web site and crooks suzuki in cumbria will do engine spares for it. wouldnt mess with ignition will devalue it if you dicide to sell it. If you want to sell it ebay under twinshock suzuki engine or put ad on vitage section of mxtrax