British Speedway Forum
Scunny Stag

Scunthorpe Speedway Track Activity 2014 - Practice, Amateur Meetings, Bike Hire, Mini Track & Main Track

From now on I am going to try and put all Scunthorpe track activity on one thread. It will prevent me having to maintain lots of different threads and also give people one place to look for all track activity. I will put a few descriptive notes at the bottom of this thread about each type of activity

Where bookings are required or you want more information (including weather and track updates) please contact me on Facebook (www.facebook.com/rh1967 - there is also an excellent Scunthorpe Amateur Group on there), email (richard@scunthorpespeedway.com) or on 07832-402167. If I'm unavailable please leave a message with your number (if phone hasn't got reception then the missed call number doesn't display) or, even better, send a text.

Last updated: 26th December 2014
PLEASE NOTE ADDITIONAL DETAILS (INCLUDING BOOKING DETAILS) AT BOTTOM OF THIS POSTING

**PLEASE NOTE 2015 DATES ARE ON A SEPARATE THREAD**

December 2014
Sat 27th - Amateur Meeting - Youth 500, Youth 250, Youth 125/150, Flat Track, Adult Pit Bike and Junior Pit Bikes classes **CANCELLED - WEATHER/FORECAST**

2015 dates for Wayne Carter Mintrack sessions (amended 23rd October 2014). All dates are SUNDAYS except where stated:

18th January
1st and 15th February
1st, 15th and 29th March
11th (Saturday) and 26th April
10th and 24th May
7th and 28th June
19th July
1st (Saturday), 16th and 29th (Saturday) August
13th and 26th (Saturday) September
11th and 25th October
8th and 22nd November
6th December

Wayne Carter Minitrack sessions are run on our 92m track. It is the perfect entry level for riders who are learning to slide a bike and a great 'experience day' for fans who are just looking for a one-off day to see how it is to ride a speedway bike. It is also a great place for the slightly more experienced riders to really get used to turning a bike although the track isn't really suitable for 500cc bikes. The club have a race of 125cc and 150cc bikes that can be used, along with all the safety equipment (including steel shoes now) for £70. Wayne is a fantastic tutor and there are a long line of riders coming through the ranks who have started out being taught by Wayne. Any rider with their own bike can also ride for £25.

Wayne Carter Main Track Training Schools came about because so many of the people who had been taught by Wayne on the minitrack wanted further one-on-one tuition on the main track. Sessions are limited to about 12 riders and the full day sessions run from 9am to 5pm with about two hours classroom work (training on bike maintenance and set-up), lunch provided and about six hours on track). These are £85 per rider with the opportunity for two riders to hire one of Wayne's bikes for a further £110. With demand now in the Winter there will be a couple of shorter sessions (four hours, all of them on track and no lunch) where the cost will be £50 (plus two spaces for riders wanting to use Wayne's bikes for an additional £100). Wayne really does like to have seen those wanting to use his 500s on the minitrack to ensure they are safe enough.

AMSA Andy Meredith Speedway Academy regularly hire both tracks and bookings/more details are available by contacting Andy on 07816-874781

Amateur Meetings have been hugely successful and more and more classes are being added all the time. With numbers increasing the meetings are frequently being extended to six hours with certain classes starting at 11am (signing on 9.30-10.30am) and others starting between 1pm and 2pm (signing-on when the first half finals start). Adults are split by ability in Open, Support and Novice Classes. Novice Class riders vary from those who aren't sliding much at all to those who, given decent conditions, have a full slide on around the bends. Typically once a rider is winning races under 70 seconds they move up to the Support Class and then when a rider is confident enough or they are breaking something like 63 seconds they move up to the Open Class where there is a wide range of National League plus occasional Premier League standard riders mixing it with the best second halfers.

Over the last couple of years there has been an explosion of youth riders and we always run 110cc (typically pit bike/Moto X type bikes), 150cc (includes bikes up to 125cc plus standard 'box' 150cc engines) and 250cc classes. If there are any 500cc youth riders wanting to ride we will always run the class even if only one or two want to ride.

Costs are the same as a practice (£40, but just £30 if the rider is under 15 years old) and we have Anji's food van selling food and drink close to the pits. Trophies are always presented to the top three in each class and regulars can also compete for the Summer Championship and Winter Series titles.

Main Track Open Practices
These are run regularly during the winter and everyone is welcome, including grasstrackers, Short Trackers and sidecars. During the summer, due to a shortage of resources (there are only 24 hours in a day), WISS Skids tend to hire the track during the summer to run practices. The cost for the club run practices are the same as an amateur meeting (£40 but just £30 for riders who are under-15). No bookings are required but there is no problem contacting me (details at the top) for track and weather updates. Anji's food van attends each winter practice and as with our amateur meetings we always have a paramedic in attendance.

WISS Skids Main Track Private Practices
Ivan Howarth runs some private practices throughout the year when demand isn't so high. He has paramedic first aid cover and he can be contacted through Facebook or via 07909-086969.

Mini Track Open Practices
The minitrack is often available for riders with their own bikes and equipment when we run on the main track. However, it is sometimes booked out and sometimes the track team have to focus their efforts on getting the main track ready. With that in mind it is definitely always best to contact me to make sure the track is available for use.

Track hire
Both tracks are available for hire at reasonable rates so please contact me if you are interested. Whilst we do have 24/7 planning permission we do have to fit track hire around the the track team's availability (they also work at Sheffield).

Edited by Scunny Stag
  • Like 2

How much is it to hire a bike just on a normal day of practice? Thank you.

Hi there, sorry for the delay in replying. I would suggest email, text or Facebook if you are ever wanting a prompt reply. With regards to bike hire at Scunthorpe the only options are using the 125s and 150s on the mini track with Wayne Carter (All inclusive cost of £70) or, if you have ridden on the minitrack or had another speedway experience, Wayne may hire you one of his 500s for a training session on the main track.

At present Wayne has two four hour sessions planned for 19th January and 9th February where the cost is £50 for riders with their own bikes and £150 for up to two people who want to hire a 500. Later in the year he may revert to full day training schools (9am to 5pm with lunch provided plus some classroom work on bike maintenance/set-ups) where the 2012 prices were £85 for riders with their own bikes and £195 for those who want to hire a bike. The bikes are always in first class condition and all his training schools are limited to around 12 people in total to ensure plenty of track time and one-to-one tuition.

I'm afraid bike hire is not available for practices and amateur meetings on the main track. If you need any further information do not hesitate to get in touch.

Cheers,

Richard

Next weekend's track activity:

Sat 12th - Amateur Meeting 11am-5pm **bookings required**

Sat 12th - Minitrack Group Booking (Lions Den Skidders) 12.30pm -4.30pm

Sun 13th - Main Track Open Practice 12pm-4pm

Sun 13th - Minitrack Open Practice 12pm-4pm **bookings required**

See the top post for more details or contact me on richard@scunthorpespeedway.com, www.facebook.com/rh1967 or on 07832-402167

Next week's track activity:

Sat 19th - Wayne Carter Main Track Trainin School 11am-3pm **bookings required**

Limit of 12 riders with spaces still available. Plenty of one on one tuition from Wayne. Just £50 for riders with their own bikes, £150 for up to two riders who can hire one of Wayne's 500s.

Sun 20th - Main Track Open Practice 12.30pm-4.30pm

no need to book

Sun 20th - Wayne Carter Minitrack Session 12pm-4pm **bookings required**

spaces still available

For more info or to make a booking please contact me on richard@scunthorpespeedway.com, www.facebook.com/rh1967 or on 07832-402167 (please leave a message and I will ring back if I'm unavailable)

Following on from the snow and hard frosts we have been encountering this week we have had to cancel this coming weekend's track activity (Wayne Carter Main Track Training School on Saturday, Wayne Carter Mini Track session on Sunday and Main Track Open Practice). In addition the amateur meeting scheduled for 26th January has been put back seven days to 2nd February. It is hoped that we will be able to recommence track action with a main track open practice on Sunday 27th January.

Sorry! Richard

Sorry but this Sunday's practice has also had to be cancelled. Future track activities at Scunthorpe can be viewed in the first posting on this thread.

Track is really good now. Really hard and slick for Saturday's amateur meeting and Sunday's open practice. Taking bookings through to Friday night for the amateur meeting and bookings not required for Sunday. Forecast is really good (but a bit cold) for Saturday but if anyone wants a weather update feel free to call me on 07832-402167 any time.

Cheers,

Richard

A lousy weather forecast for tomorrow means we have cancelled the planned practice. Afraid attempting to run it would be a waste of everyone's time. Sorry! Richard

All looking great for today's practice. 12.30pm-4.30pm. plenty of track time! Free tea and coffee! All for just £35 ((£25 for under 15s)

Two Wayne Carter Training Schools for the main track have been added for April (7th and 28th) whilst there are spaces for his minitrack training session/experience day on 2nd march. This coming weekend we have a practice on Sunday afternoon whilst there is an amateur meeting on 9th March. Also remember that private track hire is available at very competitive rates. Email me at richard@scunthorpespeedway.com or text/call me on 07832-402167 for further information or to make bookings.

Track was near perfect today. Lots of track time for everyone who came. Next practice is next Sunday 12.30-4.30pm. Just give me a call on 07832-402167 for track/weather updates next weekend.

A fantastic week of track activity just gone with a few private hire sessions including The Blast From the Past riders, a Wayne Carter Minitrack session on Saturday and then an excellent practice session on Sunday. Thank you to everyone who came and everyone who helped run them.

Next week we have more private hires before we have our amateur meeting on Saturday (bookings/enquiries via richard@scunthorpespeedway.com or 07832-402167 through to Friday evening) and our penultimate Sunday afternoon practice. Further details on the top posting in this thread or via the email/phone number above.

I took some photos at the practice yesterday and have uploaded them onto the Scunthorpe Amateur Speedway Series facebook page in an album at the top of the page if anyone is interested. I also took some on 3rd February. They are also uploaded in an album there.

I am still learning but they are perhaps better than nothing for anyone that wants them!

With tomorrow's weather forecast quite terrible we have been left with no alternative but to postpone our amateur meeting seven days until Saturday 16th March. Anyone wanting to book in please call Richard on 07832-402167. Sunday's practice is expected to go ahead as planned.