British Speedway Forum
Scunny Stag

Scunthorpe Speedway Track Activity 2014 - Practice, Amateur Meetings, Bike Hire, Mini Track & Main Track

Further to the Bjorn Knutsson incident you previously mentioned and my response re Chris Hunt/Alec Statham previously. This lunch time I met a person who claimed they had a long history and had once been a Belle Vue supporter. I mentioned Wally Lloyd, Bob Harrison and Bill Pitcher and he asked me, "Who were they?"

A bit harsh to criticise Chris Hunt for not knowing who Alec Staham was... Statham is hardly up there anmong the most famous riders in Speedway history..

A bit harsh to criticise Chris Hunt for not knowing who Alec Staham was... Statham is hardly up there anmong the most famous riders in Speedway history..

...as you were saying...http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alec_Statham

http://www.national-speedway-museum.co.uk/alec%20statham.html

http://www.ovguide.com/alec-statham-9202a8c04000641f8000000005b5da2c

Edited by Guest

Click on the image to get an enlargement - but several of the photos shown by the site are not Statham.

Hmm, perhaps tells a story!

Criticising Chris Hunt for not knowing Statham's name will be a bit like criticising a future Speedway rider in 2040 for having never heard of Justin Elkins!!!! Have a great Christmas!

Criticising Chris Hunt for not knowing Statham's name will be a bit like criticising a future Speedway rider in 2040 for having never heard of Justin Elkins!!!! Have a great Christmas!

Or in 2040 asking a rider of that time if they have ever heard of Chris Hunt?

Seriously, Alec Statham was an established international test rider, a world finalist, at the time of his transfer fron Bradford to Wimbledon moved for a record transfer gee, and was also a Wimbledon top points scorer in top class National League Division One speedway. :lol: Pointedly and with respect one cannot same the same for Chris Hunt!

Actually, if you carefully study the Google images set for Alec Statham but which may not show a photo of him, messages do appear in which references are made to him.

But as my old mate P1928 does not want to recognise Alec Statham's status in the sport as a top line rider, it's his right to do so.

Finally got round to reading your 'report' Mr. C. and just wish I could write like you. You have a real style I could only dream of (stats are more my thing). You said some very kind things, thank you very much, and I'm glad you approve of what we do at Scunny.

With regards to the volunteer situation last weekend was the first time I started to roster roles to people in advance rather than just seeing who we have when I turn up. For your information we are changing the format of the winter meetings from later this month. Instead of trying to run 10 classes over one day we will split them over two separate weekends so the days aren't quite so long, we can get back to giving five qualifying rides plus at least one final for each rider (we had to cut it down to 4 qualifying rides on Sunday because of the high turnout). It will allow us to deal with higher turnouts if we can attract them and hopefully finish before it gets dark.

There is still a full list of fixtures on here and Facebook and if you, or anyone else on here, fancies giving us a hand then please let me know in advance (not on here though, please text/call 07832-402167 or email richard@scunthorpespeedway.com) and I'll get you on the roster. Hell, I'd love it if you just came and wrote about the meeting. Thank you!

• Like 2

But as my old mate P1928 does not want to recognise Alec Statham's status in the sport as a top line rider, it's his right to do so.

With respect, I certainly wasn't aiming to do that! Just defending the honour of my old pal, the 'Huntsman'..!!

Glad you liked it Richard. I am sure I will get there in the new year sometime to assist

All the best for Xmas and that great 2015 you all need there

• Like 1

if you're indicating the link doesn't work it does for me ?

if you're indicating the link doesn't work it does for me ?

Yes, the link does work, but the video seems to be the inside of a box all the way through! Is this just me? Other videos work on my computer.

Tomorrow's meeting off because of the weather/forecast. Next one is the adult speedway classes next Sunday (4th January) with the next round for the youth classes, pit bikes and flat track is on Sunday 25th January. Happy New Year and please don't forget the 2015 thread with all the track activity scheduled for Scunthorpe in the new year.