British Speedway Forum
The White Knight

No Gps On Sky Television Next Year?

That is interesting!

Danish league is free to watch on Danish TV. Or at least it was last year.

Some interesting meetings including some top riders.

On the debit side the meetings tend to drag pretty much.

Perhaps if they have an association with SKY they might tighten up a bit.

Will this mean an end to the free live broadcasts?

I do hope not as I enjoyed watching Danish league last year.

Maybe it isn't Danish/Swedish league,but the new European league?

Maybe it isn't Danish/Swedish league,but the new European league?

THINK that is most probably the case ...

I agree with you, I think Premier-sports renewed their broad cast rights for Sweden for another two years.

EUROSPORT (but not the UK version) have had the rights for some time. Obviously, allowing Eurosport UK to show the GPs is one option open to BSI/IMG.

Not sure if Eurosport have got the rights to the GP's, I know they have got the rights to the revamped Speedway European Championship which looks like will be done over four rounds

Not sure if Eurosport have got the rights to the GP's, I know they have got the rights to the revamped Speedway European Championship which looks like will be done over four rounds

SEE my previous post ...

THINK that is most probably the case ...

I agree, I think its about the new European fixtures - but surely thats only for 3 maybe 4 weeks of the season?! There's only 6 teams in it after all - hardly a replacement for the GPs and will probably replace some EL/PL meetings!?

OK for Swindon and Poole followers of course. :P

Let's hope the European Individual Championship is shown on Eurosport UK. It will be an interesting test to see how many additional viewers speedway will get when shown on a "free" channel.

Let's hope the European Individual Championship is shown on Eurosport UK. It will be an interesting test to see how many additional viewers speedway will get when shown on a "free" channel.

Do any British riders compete in the European championship this year?

EUROSPORT (but not the UK version) have had the rights for some time. Obviously, allowing Eurosport UK to show the GPs is one option open to BSI/IMG.

But they don't show the SGP "live" on Eurosport. All they ever do is show a highlights package weeks after the meetings have taken place.

Some live coverage of the SGP and the SWC has reached Germany in 2011 and again in 2012 on another sports channel (payTV) SPORT 1 plus. But so far there has been no announcement if they will continue with their coverage in 2013. It is all quiet.

Fact is that the revamped European Championship, via a Polish marekting company, has reached a deal with EUROSPORT to show all four of the EC finals in 2013 live and apparently on their free TV channel. And fact is that the European Championship promises to pay the riders much more money than what they earn in the SGP and that is why Nicki Pedersen, Tomasz Golob, etc, are eager to ride in this series.

Nicki Pedersen has stated he can earn as much in a European Championship round as he earns in a Polish League meeting.

Hard times for the SGP.

Hard times for the SGP.

Sadly you are right - BUT - this IS the SPEEDWAY WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP we are talking about here. I would have thought that ALL other Events would be secondary to that.

I have just come off the phone(40 mins) from Sky and said I wish to cancel all my subscriptions due to there not being any GP's on this year. They offered me a reduction from £58.60 to £35.00 for 6 months which I accepted . I take all channels except Film.

She also told me that Sky would be doing live league Speedway from England on Monday night's, .live speedway from Sweden on tuesday night's and live Speedway from Denmark on Wednesday night's. I made her go through it twice to confirm that this is correct. So there might be more Speedway on Sky sports next season than this year.

Really. now that i do believe, because i did it myself a few years ago, i feel a phone call coming on..... You should have phoned them end of March!! :D Its about time the British person started putting their foot down and stop taking all this crap the country is chucking at us..

I have just come off the phone(40 mins) from Sky and said I wish to cancel all my subscriptions due to there not being any GP's on this year. They offered me a reduction from £58.60 to £35.00 for 6 months which I accepted .

40 minutes?!?!

Was that 35 minutes of on-hold music, bouncing around the various options, listening to pre-recorded messages, etc, and then 5 minutes of negotiating with the Sky employee trying to persuade you to remain? Or more like a full 40 minutes of full-on negotiation?

I'm likely to be making the same call tomorrow (with very little interest in retaining the package- no matter how big a discount) and intrigued to know the size of the upcoming chore...

Sky can be e-mailed here. In the suggestion box , something like 'If GP speedway isnt televised in 2013 i shall be cancelling my sky sports contract'. I dont know if a few thousand e-mails would make a difference but you never know.