British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Daniel Smith

(poll) Will You Cancel Skysports If The Speedway Gp Isn't Shown?

Will be disappointed but no wont cancel as use it for elite league speedway and also football

I certainly wont cancel SkySports , I enjoy other sports like cricket , rugby( union and league ) , and loads more ; dont fancy cutting my nose off to spite my face

Cancelling Sports imminently as a direct result of dropped GPs (until the discussion arose the full Sky package of £65 pcm was departing my account without any serious thought). Only got movies due to associated price so may as well cancel this also. With only basic package remaining (plus HD and Sky+) very tempted to cancel the job lot and go with YouView or similar.

I did that end '11 too many duff meetings/rain offs, mainly financial reasons. BUT, #1 if Sky money trickled down to N/L level, I guarantee there would be a lot more English/British young competitive riders, instead of current ass spanking us parents/family get ! #2 I personaly thought it was best thing ever to get into Speedway now it had T.V. coverage/money (Son was in inaugaral U15s) There was a lot of like minded also, the thrill and exitement of League racing is second to none (in my opinion) I have no regrets, #3 All the time British School Kids/Improvers are insuffitciently funded/nurtured I cant see much of a future for 'British' Speedway Maybe its the Promotion maybe its a rich Mans Sport, its certainly a Jungle! I Prey things improve

The Gauling thing is, they have the cheek to put up the subscription fee every year without so much as a letter to say they are going to do this!!

If the GP's AND the EL get taken off of Sky sports eventually, i will cancel my subscription untill the Football season gets under way.

Occasionally, i will watch a race on ATR if the race is worth watching,but then i could always shoot down the bookies to watch that. and or the Melbourne cup in November, but that gets repeated on Ch 4. i would sometimes also watch the Korda Boys {fishing} but thats not essential.

But my main gripe with sky is my first paragragph.

My daughter and a few of her work colleagues have also got rid of Sky after the last price increase, it is not just Speedway fans with the possibility of no GPs.

Edited by A ORLOV

Latest update and thanks to all that have taken part

263 have votes so far

63% Said they will cancel

45% of the 63% from the comments said they'll watch the 2013 Elite League then cancel in 2014 if there is no speedway completely

almost all the 37% that said they won't cancel is because they watch a variety of sports. Only 4% of the 37% said they'll think about canceling in 2014 if there's no speedway on Skysports at all

although a small number of votes the main point is for 2013 there's no major issue for Sky as a high percentage will remain as customers

The biggest hit will come at the end of the 2014 season if there's no speedway at all but it shows a great portion of those customer will still remain Skysports customers for various reasons

Expect Sky will be shaking in there boots looking at all the lost revenue lol. Who and what is to blame? Speedway and the product it has become !

• Like 1

So is it speedway's fault that Sky are cutting back on other sports too?

We get it. You don't like speedway, the BSPA, BSI / IMG any more. We get it.

• Like 2

Bottom line is that not enough people are watching speedway to make it worth Sky's while. Whatever spin is put on it, raw viewing figures for the GPs would appear to be one-third to half of what they were a few years ago.

If the SGP organisers have managed to alienate a GP sponsor to that extent, then there's surely something wrong...

Bottom line is that not enough people are watching speedway to make it worth Sky's while. Whatever spin is put on it, raw viewing figures for the GPs would appear to be one-third to half of what they were a few years ago.

Correct, the lack of viewers, and the calibre of those viewers, is the reason SKY are ditching speedway. OK so the spend on football has gone up massively but as a business SKY would not ditch a profitable venture.

SKY, by and large, need material to show between ad breaks, the value of those ads being determined by the number and calibre of viewers. Once those drop then it cant justify 3 hours of prime time TV

It is a shame because speedways format lends itself perfectly to live TV with plenty of natural breaks to cram the ads into but its no good if no one is watching.

If you read my posts you will see i want the sgp on tv as do watch them when i can, not bothered about elite as dont really watch it as pants. Yep dont like the bspa as done nothing for speedway and look where it is now, pretty finished in the uk. sky wouldnt be dropping speedway if it was any good or popular. i wont drop sky as enjoy other sports. img /bsi, i have always stuck up for them but yes have let us down so many times i could write a book about it :D sweden was final nail in coffin and yes cant stand them anymore and would not recommend them to my worse enermy, or maybe i would :rofl: i shall attend poole whenever possible and maybe even a gp abroad if time allows. A lot of people need to wake up and smell the coffee as 99% of all involved in speedway are users and not really nice people or clubs, companys.

The Gauling thing is, they have the cheek to put up the subscription fee every year without so much as a letter to say they are going to do this!!

If the GP's AND the EL get taken off of Sky sports eventually, i will cancel my subscription untill the Football season gets under way.

Occasionally, i will watch a race on ATR if the race is worth watching,but then i could always shoot down the bookies to watch that. and or the Melbourne cup in November, but that gets repeated on Ch 4. i would sometimes also watch the Korda Boys {fishing} but thats not essential.

But my main gripe with sky is my first paragragph.

Factually incorrect, letters are sent to every subscriber who has not opted for e mail as their preferred method of contact, but don't let that get in the way of your dislike of sky tv.

Edited to add that in 2011 there was no price increase for existing customers, check back your bank statements if you don't believe me.

Edited by ekimba

No.........there are other sports I watch on there.............not football though...........

RP