British Speedway Forum

Must admit I like the commentary style of the Aussies. :t:

I agree, very enjoyable.

I also liked the fact that they kept giving the sponsors plenty of plugs.

This is important if we want them to keep pumping money into the sport.

Sort it out Mr Buckley or the people won't come back ............... need more passing!

• Like 1

Sort it out Mr Buckley or the people won't come back ............... need more passing!

Sure Phil will tell us they are working on it and promise it will be better next time.But of course all the riders told him they thought the track was great :t: Some of the quotes in the pits ...."awesome" ,"best track ever","Ole and the boys done a terrific job here"......

Edited by iris123

Bad/OK camera work? Do people not know that what you see on your telly comes from the same World feed and therefore the picture is the same in all Countries? What you saw last night would have been exactly what you would have seen on Sky Sports...

• Like 1

Sure Phil will tell us they are working on it and promise it will be better next time.But of course all the riders told him they thought the track was great :t:

Yep that'll be the usual line, he does work for BSI of course, positives only! The riders aren't going to bite the hand that feeds them either.

I think the shape of the track, the banking and wide bends go against passing. Knew straight away when Johno said that the starts were slick but there was a little more grip on the inside of the track (which is no doubt caused by the banking), gate one was gonna be best, and what was it 14 out of 20 heats won from it!!!

A shame that Niels had to be excluded, all 4 back would have been fairer!!!!!!!!

Bad/OK camera work? Do people not know that what you see on your telly comes from the same World feed and therefore the picture is the same in all Countries? What you saw last night would have been exactly what you would have seen on Sky Sports...

Not quite, Sky used to dip in and out of the coverage to go back to the studio.

Ward god he was exciting, didn't realise how poor a gater he was was worth watching him alone.

Having just watched this have to agree on the camerawork. It was the same last year from NZ and unfortunately lessons appeared not to have been learnt. Far too often the camera on bend 4 lingered on the tail ender, direction then sluggish to cut to lead of the race, direction all through was average, apparently Bunyan vs Vaculik was a battle raging but close up of Emil preferred? Again the semi final draws were poorly done, with a cut away from AJs pick, and then cameramen not knowing to go tight on the listed line up.

The KK vs Bunyan clash was typical, not 1 camera getting it clearly ? No doubt it'll be a whole lot better from here on in when using crews that have much more experience, but on certain shots, such as the bend 2 replay camera, an experienced operative should have been used.

That said, refreshing to see the VT at the start of the show, and the Hancock feature during the interval. Not sure about the talking head graphics for every heat line up - was bored by that by the end - and despite the 'all bets on red' meeting, the wrapped production felt much more up to date than Sky's 'guys in London - lets get back to the racing' set up (although it felt weird not seeing Keith after 18 years as host)

Edited by ballinger

Now up after a late night. Was it worth watching it live? I guess so but not a great start to the series. As Pete said the Hancock piece was good to watch in the interval. Racing wise pretty bad. As bad as a Czech GP. Things can only get better. Thought the commentary was good though I do prefer the British team better. Who did the pickup commentary? He seems to know what he was talking about. Glad no more back to the studio. Much better to stay at the track. Having just moved and no Sky fitted yet, I watched via the Eurosport Player on my laptop, pugged into my TV via hdmi. Very good picture on a 40 inch screen with no buffering on a 1.9MB Wi-Fi. Far better image than a free stream sourced online and as good as a SD image on TV. Paid £4.99 for a month with no subscription as Sky is being fitted next week. Well worth it for those without Sky.

Not the greatest GP but an improvement in commentary by having Steve Johnston. His knowledge was put to good use.

• Like 1

The commentary in Semi Final 1 summed it up for me, something like;

"Ward going for that wide run again, but the line is no longer there after the pre-race track grade".

Having witnessed the only genuinely exciting race of the meeting in Heat 20, what possessed them to get rid of the racing line? I usually love the GP's, but this was probably the most boring international meetings I've ever seen.

As the track was so heavily favourable to the inside gates, it's hard to really make any great judgement on the riders, who all looked capable of winning races. I have to admit Woffinden was much better than I expected and a huge improvement on Harris.

I don't know if Iversen laid it down or was just distracted by Ward (who did miraculously well to stay on) and slid off. I think his time will come when the series hits Europe though, where he is one of the top riders.

JT.

Edited by JT
  • Like 1

You speedway fans never learn.

Accept the coverage you get and stop bellyaching about daft little things.

Look at the winter you have just had... SKY not covering this, not covering that... people threatening to stop their subscription and close down the channel, as the wave of speedway fans adopting this approach threatened SKY's profits.

Now, live speedway retained, we still have them... "The camera work was this," "it (the meeting) was on too early," "I had to watch with the sound down," "I had to watch with the sound up but picture off."

Just be thankful you have another chance of watching live racing.

Edited by moxey63
  • Like 5

The commentary in Semi Final 1 summed it up for me, something like;

"Ward going for that wide run again, but the line is no longer there after the pre-race track grade".

Having witnessed the only genuinely exciting race of the meeting in Heat 20, what possessed them to get rid of the racing line? I usually love the GP's, but this was probably the most boring international meeting I've ever seen.

JT.

The thing was Jarek did use the outside line to blast around Nicki on the first lap so it wasn't completely removed

• Like 2

I agree, very enjoyable.

I also liked the fact that they kept giving the sponsors plenty of plugs.

This is important if we want them to keep pumping money into the sport.

Great to have the GP's on TV not the best racing with gate 1 being by far the best, but IMHO although it is early days yet, I think the Eurosport production was very good and the commentary was excellent, so much better than what Sky dished up with Screamy & Shouty, why do those two have to scream all the time it certainly doesn't add to the excitement, I would imagine it puts many people off, I really think this is way commentary needs to go.