British Speedway Forum
THE DEAN MACHINE

The Start Of The Decline

Is there a speedway fan out there who has enjoyed his latter years of watching more than his initial ones, which means we all have different feelings of when the slide began. Do supporters follow the same pattern, for example... that speedway just gets less attractive and not as enjoyable the more seasons you watch it?

Anyhow, I feel the decline of speedway was the mid-90s - laydowns, dirt-deflectors (do they really serve a cause?) and allowing riders freedom to wander all over the planet. On the other hand, another poster might have began watching the sport during this period, thus making it his cherry-popping period.

You always remember your first time.

Maybe it isn't when speedway began its decline, more when you as a supporter stopped enjoying it as much as you used to.

• Like 3

I have been in the sport from the day I came to this world. Have been watching it from late 80´s. From my point of view racing in speedway at the moment is best I have ever seen.. in Poland, Sweden and GP. Watching EL matches is boring, tracks are small, slick and narrow. Cant blame the bikes because racing outside England is good. I would say that the problem is the tracks that are still somewhere in the late 70´s. Living in the past is what is killing speedway.

It is almost funny that you get paid in a small sport like speedway. Thought it is great and it is keeping the sport alive. When comparing to bigger motorcycle sport like motocross. Even in the MXGP only top 10 riders get money. Most of the riders pays tens of thousands of euros per season for the Youthsport corporation to race in GP. In national level it is normal to pay for racing.

I have been in the sport from the day I came to this world. Have been watching it from late 80´s. From my point of view racing in speedway at the moment is best I have ever seen.. in Poland, Sweden and GP. Watching EL matches is boring, tracks are small, slick and narrow. Cant blame the bikes because racing outside England is good. I would say that the problem is the tracks that are still somewhere in the late 70´s. Living in the past is what is killing speedway.

It is almost funny that you get paid in a small sport like speedway. Thought it is great and it is keeping the sport alive. When comparing to bigger motorcycle sport like motocross. Even in the MXGP only top 10 riders get money. Most of the riders pays tens of thousands of euros per season for the Youthsport corporation to race in GP. In national level it is normal to pay for racing.

More like the late 1920's. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

It does give a whole new meaning to the 'Roaring Twenties' though. :t:B) B)

My idea was based on video material.. and 70´s material is the earliest good footage I have found. ;)

So how do you account for the decline in Poland and Sweden, clubs have gone bankrupt and some riders have had problems being paid, the Polish top league will only have eight clubs in it in 2014? They might have big crowds compared to here, but they used to have much bigger ones a few years ago.

Look forward to the start of the new season. The Robins have received great publicity from the Swindon Advertiser, beating the much better supported football club to the top awards. Front page for local lad Rosco yet again. Hopefully the crowds will turn out in force at Blunsdon now, as they did from 1949-mid 80s, even outnumbering STFC some seasons.

Still enjoy the racing as much as I did in 1963 at New Cross.

So how do you account for the decline in Poland and Sweden, clubs have gone bankrupt and some riders have had problems being paid, the Polish top league will only have eight clubs in it in 2014? They might have big crowds compared to here, but they used to have much bigger ones a few years ago.

But racing is great, they have tv-time and crowds are watching races at the stadiums. They have debts and teams have taken financial risks. When I used to live in Poland few years ago. Finances were pretty ok. But then first news about Greek´s financial problems started to come. Even my living started to be expensive. 1 euro was about 4 zloties before and after the dark financial news it dropped to somewhere near 2 zloties. For locals times turned for the worse. Culture of hooligans is also one bad thing about Polish speedway. Derby like Bydgoszcz vs. Torun is scary. You could get beaten on the street just because of wearing wrong scarf.

In future there will be a challenge from the east for British speedway. Like we have seen from football. There is a lot of money in Russia for sports. When Russian speedway starts to hire EU-riders there will be space in EL for local riders. Quickly EL is 4th speedway league after Poland, Russia, Sweden.

But racing is great, they have tv-time and crowds are watching races at the stadiums. They have debts and teams have taken financial risks. When I used to live in Poland few years ago. Finances were pretty ok. But then first news about Greek´s financial problems started to come. Even my living started to be expensive. 1 euro was about 4 zloties before and after the dark financial news it dropped to somewhere near 2 zloties. For locals times turned for the worse. Culture of hooligans is also one bad thing about Polish speedway. Derby like Bydgoszcz vs. Torun is scary. You could get beaten on the street just because of wearing wrong scarf.

In future there will be a challenge from the east for British speedway. Like we have seen from football. There is a lot of money in Russia for sports. When Russian speedway starts to hire EU-riders there will be space in EL for local riders. Quickly EL is 4th speedway league after Poland, Russia, Sweden.

And does that matter? Personally I would prefer to see this country go it's own way. I don't agree about the standard of racing in Poland or Sweden, I watched a large number of meeting from both countries last season and in the main found them pretty featureless. As for Russia hiring EU riders (I don't doubt they will), Havvy was riding there years ago.

Is there a speedway fan out there who has enjoyed his latter years of watching more than his initial ones, which means we all have different feelings of when the slide began. Do supporters follow the same pattern, for example... that speedway just gets less attractive and not as enjoyable the more seasons you watch it?

Anyhow, I feel the decline of speedway was the mid-90s - laydowns, dirt-deflectors (do they really serve a cause?) and allowing riders freedom to wander all over the planet. On the other hand, another poster might have began watching the sport during this period, thus making it his cherry-popping period.

You always remember your first time.

Maybe it isn't when speedway began its decline, more when you as a supporter stopped enjoying it as much as you used to.

I have been going to speedway since 1972 when I had my first motorcycle and I must say I enjoy my speedway now more than I did back in the seventies. I think the racing was probably better then but I do like a lot of the ways in which it has changed and been brought up to date. I know a lot of supporters won't agree with that statement but that is my personal view. I attend more meeting now than I did in the 70's and 80's - probably because I can afford to, especially meetings not involving my team.

I think it is easy to be nostalgic about the sport - I don't think it was great as we remember and of course having forums these days to dissect every little issue in the sport, rule change, negative comments from supporters who don't go anymore tend to breed negativity.

I personally thank all the riders and promoters in particular for keeping the sport going in very difficult economic circumstances. :t:

• Like 1

The decline in Poland is simple. They are merely recreating all the mistakes the UK made 20 - 30 years ago. The main one being paying riders over the odds, upping admission to cover it, losing fans and upping admission some more to cover that. Speedways boom there was largely due to fall of communism, it was rather like the post war boom here. Now though Poles have so much more to do with their money and speedway is slowly (although gaining momentum) falling out of favour

British speedway really should not overlook Russian influence in speedway. It will be hard to come back to center of speedway if you are out of the top 3 leagues. Location at the far west in Europe isnt helping neither. Some top riders are already doing riding in there like Jason Crump. Money is power in professional sports. You can see how even the major leagues in football are losing players to Russian league. Like M´vila, French national goes to Russian Rubin Kazan instead of coming to EPL Queens Park Rangers. 5 years ago this would have been a joke!

Polish speedway has its problems with money. Tickets are pretty expensive in league matches and sadly it is showing in the crowd.

Im just throwing this idea now. I have noticed that motorsports are getting unpopular. Lots of people thinks that it is pointless to do something that could harm you and supporting activity like this is pointless. More and more educated and civilized people wants to do something safe and easy. Highlight of the month is shopping trip to Ikea and wine tasting evening with friends. Speedway as a fast, agressive and brutal sport is not going to win their hearts and minds. Even the noise is "terrible", truth is that you cant even really hear speedwaybikes when normal traffic is going arround. Is GB too evolved to accept real drama and sport like speedway where there could actually happen something to someone? Something that hasnt been pre-writen and scripted? Chapters of popularity has many times been after crisis and change. 1950´s people after war liked it in England. 1990´s people in Poland liked it after communism fell. Could it be Russia in 2020´s now when society is opening and big money is moving?!

• Like 1

Look forward to the start of the new season. The Robins have received great publicity from the Swindon Advertiser, beating the much better supported football club to the top awards. Front page for local lad Rosco yet again. Hopefully the crowds will turn out in force at Blunsdon now, as they did from 1949-mid 80s, even outnumbering STFC some seasons.

Still enjoy the racing as much as I did in 1963 at New Cross.

Thats great 'beefy that you still enjoy it, i still do but not as much though as the old days.I go have a look in the pits and still get a buzz like years ago see say see a young Ritchens go round and think hope the lad does well makes it.Off the subject 'beefy do you think say half the fixtures a 10 pound admission fee is financially viable? i am saying this because to go to footy and speedway is expensive!what do you think?

I think a lot of people seem to miss the point. Its time is passing speedway by like alot of other things. there is so much more to do these days and far cheaper with better facilites. Less and less are going and young people are not interested.

Poland is following this trend to since entering the EU. More to do, more money and speedway is getting left behind. As i have said before, Pro speedway will be dead here in 10 years max. Whos to blame ? Well as i said, time and tec but also the promoters, bspa and mostly all those in the sport as they have not invested or looked to the future. Wont be long till the sheep skin car coat is hung up for good :rofl:

Edited by The Know
  • Like 2

Whats a 'sheepskin car car'??

Whilst I tend to agree about 'Pro' league speedway, I think speedway will continue - it will just regroup and (hopefully) operate within realistic finances until the economy gets positive again. How that image is promoted will be key to retaining or getting new audiences.

Edited by Skidder1