Beat the Bookie GP prize competition 2024 Read more... ×
British Speedway Forum
Henllys

Electric Speedway

I think that

or
is the link Tsunami referenced (electric bike demo involving Muller and Smolinski)

That's the link TKD, many thanks for putting it up.

Thanks for the link.

Speedway bikes rely on engine braking - would this be a issue for electric powered speedway bikes?

Thanks for the link.

Speedway bikes rely on engine braking - would this be a issue for electric powered speedway bikes?

I heard an interview with Egon which seemed to suggest that it wasn't a problem, he also said that they had some much more powerful ones now which would even be suitable for longtracks.

Looks like one of our British Lads Robert Lambert have also had a go with Martin Smolinski

A good idea to get the youth started :t:

Thanks for the link.

That is a good point. I would have thought an electric motor 'shuts down' in a similar way to a high compression engine, but needs to be confirmed.

Looks like one of our British Lads Robert Lambert have also had a go with Martin Smolinski

A good idea to get the youth started :t:

Thanks, was quite slow and didn't see either riders get sideways! Perhaps more work needed.

This is starting to make me larf. Electric Speedway Bikes... yeh right, ok... :rofl:

The one thing I did notice, speed being irrelevent, but as the bikes were so evenly matched the racing was close.

That is a good point. I would have thought an electric motor 'shuts down' in a similar way to a high compression engine, but needs to be confirmed.

It can be altered. Having raced model cars with electric motors you can adjust the deceleration rate through an electronic speed controller. You can set it so the motor has the same effect as braking if you so wish when you shut off the throttle or basically as you shut off still kick out 99% throttle (not recommended).

The same can be done for acceleration, aggressive or not aggressive. Could eliminate the need for so much gear changing, or just make it more adjustable.

Edited by Deano

The one thing I did notice, speed being irrelevent, but as the bikes were so evenly matched the racing was close.

It can be altered. Having raced model cars with electric motors you can adjust the deceleration rate through an electronic speed controller. You can set it so the motor has the same effect as braking if you so wish when you shut off the throttle or basically as you shut off still kick out 99% throttle (not recommended).

The same can be done for acceleration, aggressive or not aggressive. Could eliminate the need for so much gear changing, or just make it more adjustable.

GEARS - what's gears??? :shock: :shock: :shock::blink:

GEARS - what's gears??? :shock: :shock: :shock::blink:

or rear sprocket? Don't know what's the chain thingy on the rear wheel?

I heard an interview with Egon which seemed to suggest that it wasn't a problem, he also said that they had some much more powerful ones now which would even be suitable for longtracks.

Thanks, was quite slow and didn't see either riders get sideways! Perhaps more work needed.

That is why I made the comment RS. Difficult to ascertain how fast they were going but if the electric motor does not offer sufficient engine braking you wouldn't be able to slow the bike enough to then power round the corners.

I don't know enough about electric motors to know whether they can be 'tuned' to increase or decrease engine braking effect.

Interesting concept though - I wonder whether Egon is putting his own money into the project?

Edited by TesarRacing

That is why I made the comment RS. Difficult to ascertain how fast they were going but if the electric motor does not offer sufficient engine braking you wouldn't be able to slow the bike enough to then power round the corners.

I don't know enough about electric motors to know whether they can be 'tuned' to increase or decrease engine braking effect.

Interesting concept though - I wonder whether Egon is putting his own money into the project?

yes the racing did look close, be good with four riders and maybe a bit more speed.

coming from an electric motor industry, the products on the market are very refined, engine braking as already said is not an issue. speed control is far better with electric than fuel. i wont go tech but this would work very well. looking at egons he seems to be nearly there maybe just needs a bit more power and by the surroundings its some sort of electric cart company.

I wonder if the motors used in these bikes bear any resemblance to the motors in electric road bikes, therefore increasing crossover appeal?

yes the racing did look close, be good with four riders and maybe a bit more speed.

coming from an electric motor industry, the products on the market are very refined, engine braking as already said is not an issue. speed control is far better with electric than fuel. i wont go tech but this would work very well. looking at egons he seems to be nearly there maybe just needs a bit more power and by the surroundings its some sort of electric cart company.

Thanks for that tech info. All sounds interesting!

And from a racing point of view, interesting to see that Egon was still able to pull the same move he made on Mitch Shirra in the 1983 World Final by j-u-s-t keeping both wheels on the track :lol: . Can't find the clip on Youtube but it was in Muller's 3rd or 4th ride. From a purist's point of view, I hope electric speedway bikes don't catch on universally but a fascinting development all the same....

• Like 2

Watch any match race in a testimonial, the 2 riders are always close and equally matched(even in they are from a different generation) because that's what it is an exhibition ,not real racing.Gunnar Karlsson beat his 3 sons,Peter,Mikael and Magnus at Peter's testimonial,it was an exhibition.