British Speedway Forum
Halifordukesfan

Once A Jolly Swagman

While watching a recent programme about Sid James, a brief clip was shown featuring him in the above film from 1949, but more interesting was the obvious roar of speedway in the background. Further digging indeed found the film was actually based around speedway in the late 1930s.

Filming was at New Cross speedway, so if you fancy a little nostalgia, in B/W of course,before the season gets underway, then it's easy to find on youtube and only lasts 1hour38mins.

Really?That is amazing!!!Wonder if there are any other films or tv programmes featuring speedway?

• Like 1

Yup.Cut me right down.......as it is i reckon there might be a thread on the subject for every minute of the film.And i think it states in the forum rules to do a search before starting a thread incase the subject has already been done to death a hundred times before (sarcastic smiley)

As I remember it, the film was really giving an anti-speedway message. It was interesting to see old races, but other than that it wasn't a pleasant film.

Watch for Compo pulling his scarf up at the starting gate.

Bill Owen was s'posed to be playing the part of an Aussie speedway rider, but you wouldn't have known with that accent!!

There was that episode of CHiPs which was based around the 1982 World Championship.

And dont forget that Bruce Penhall appeared in Chips

And dont forget that Bruce Penhall appeared in Chips

And that it became extremely boring, as every episode was just the same.

There was a poster for Newcastle Speedway on Byker Grove about 15 years ago as well. I'd normally say it's not relevant as it's so old but it's more current than One a Jolly Swagman :/

There was a poster for Newcastle Speedway on Byker Grove about 15 years ago as well. I'd normally say it's not relevant as it's so old but it's more current than One a Jolly Swagman :/

Ah - but it's still a much better Film than 'Eating Dust' - isn't it. :t::blink:

And Sid Owen (no not one of the famous speedway dynasty) aka Ricky Butcher, was training as a speedway rider in Eastenders, circa 1980's.