British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
kbt

A Week In Speedway{almost}

Heres one for the old "uns amongst us.I live just outside Manchester and in the early 70"s I could go to a reasonably local track every day of the week. On monday it was Crewe(my favourite team ever)Tuesday was Ellsmere Port(boo)wednesday Bradord (i think) thursday was Sheffield, friday.see wednesday,saturday Belle Vue or Halifax,sunday was Rochdale.For the more intrepid among us there were trips to Hull & Stoke.No matter which track you went to you always saw a few cars with scarves and stickers and always got a wave or somnething else depending on the team.But all in good sport.I dont know how it worked in the midlands or London areas,were you able to do the same.Due to finances i am only able to go to a few meetings a year and honestly prefer premier and national league matches.Ah happy memories.!!

Think for a period i could go to Reading on monday,tuesday i think was Crayford,wednesday White City,Thursday my local team Wimbledon,Hackney friday,saturday was possible but i had difficulty getting to Canterbury so only done that a couple of times,then sunday it was either Rye House or Eastbourne.All relatively local to south London,but i seem to remember having trouble with trains back from Canterbury

• Like 1

Sadly, locally you can't do that any more but a few years back I did a nationwide one - Stoke Saturday, Newport Sunday, Exeter Monday, Isle of Wight Tuesday, Wimbledon Wednesday, Peterborough Thursday, Edinburgh Friday, Berwick Saturday, Glasgow Sunday & Newcastle Monday. The weather was absolutely amazing.

Sad to think that of those tracks two stadiums have completely gone and one is unlikely to hold speedway again.

back in my boom years of the early 1970's there was a varied diet of tracks in london and the south east. monday reading, tuesday west ham, wednesday crayford, thursday wimbledon and romford, friday hackney, saturday wembley, rayleigh and canterbury, sunday eastbourne and rye house. you were spoilt for choice in those days!.

For me, my most productive season of watching matches was the 1980 campaign - attended 100 matches that year, Sheffield every week on a Thursday, Ellesmere on Fridays, and Belle Vue on Saturday. By the end of the year I had speedway fatigue...

100 matches is nothing to some people nowadays, but it was a lot back then.

One year we went to Reading, Oxford, Swindon every week. We missed about two home Oxford fixtures only and that was when they had the lovely new grandstand.I and Hagonshocker (he probably did more) did about 120 meetings that year including individual as well great days.

Edited by sidney

Sidney,the thread is about a week in speedway or are you thinking of the "3 day week"? :rofl:

Edited by iris123

Sidney,the thread is about a week in speedway or are you thinking of the "3 day week"? :rofl:

Whoops! saying that some weeks i was going 5 days a week.

Monday: Wimbledon; Tuesday: West Ham; Wednesday: New Cross; Thursday: Wembley; Friday: Hackney; Saturday: Harringay; Sunday: Rye House and then start all over again....