British Speedway Forum
Hunty

Uk Speedway Series

If speedway clubs are losing money each week, how does a couple of (ex superstar riders) ? think that a competition with basically second stringers and reserves going to attract loads of fans on a tuesday night is beyond me.

I've seen more on Twitter and Facebook about this series than I have the start of the league, so maybe these guys were planning on actually promoting their events rather than simply sitting in their ivory towers and expecting customers to turn up?

I've seen more on Twitter and Facebook about this series than I have the start of the league, so maybe these guys were planning on actually promoting their events rather than simply sitting in their ivory towers and expecting customers to turn up?

Promoting an a event you can't run ....priceless .

• Like 1

Not Happening...UKSpeedwaySeries Annoucement

UKSpeedwaySeries Press Release 28/02/13

In response to the SCB press release dated 06.02.13 regarding the MCF affiliated UKSpeedwayseries we would like to shed light on our side of the situation,

Naturally we are disappointed to feel we have been left with no option but to pull the plug on the 6 event 2013 series under the understanding that the venues, of which 5 of the 6 Venues were confirmed, feel they have been left with very little freedom in the situation regarding rules put in place by their league club governing body, the ACU affiliated SCB.

The UKSpeedwayseries being governed by rules and regulations created and enforced by the MCF felt an individual series in the UK would be a welcomed addition to the motorcycle racing calendar with the firm vision to attract new fans to the sport and inspire some of the large MCF database of members a chance to check out Speedway racing and arrange opportunities to try the sport for themselves.

A forerunning youth production scheme and series, designed to work in close co-operation with the UKSpeedwayseries has also been jeopardized due to the restrictions placed.

On the understanding that owned venues actively sublet to generate extra income, in many cases current British Speedway clubs indeed rent out venues on only other than on the evenings of club meetings taking place, the UKSpeedwayseries was going to be a unique product focused purely on an individual series throughout the country organised on a night purposely chosen not to clash with any other professional Speedway club and should have been a welcome addition to the 2013 calendars of the venues involved.

Sadly the venues felt they could not commit to the confirmed bookings after the aforementioned SCB press release came to light, we understand their position and sympathize with the obvious restrictions enforced upon the tracks, ultimately restricting their oppertunity to earn them extra revenue in 2013.

At each event, fundraising projects for financial contributions to the Speedway Riders Benevolent Fund and a well-known spinal cord research charity were also firmly in place and welcomed by the charities concerned, senior members of both the SCB and BSPA were made aware of this proposition and all other aspects of the UKSpeedwayseries at very early stages.

The UKSpeedwayseries was financially designed to sustain all 6 events, giving added support to the riders who themselves have been victims of enforced limited payment structures, and most importantly set out to serve the sport and raise it’s awareness nationally.

Taking the response from SCB into consideration, our intentions have either been misunderstood or our product for whatever reason was seen to threaten the current SGB product in some way, however our enthusiasms have not been dampened and we look forward to working closely with the MCF on some exciting upcoming projects in 2013.

“This is a real shame that the narrow-mindedness of some people has stalled the launch of this series” commented MCF General Manager Roy Barton “The promoters of the series worked really hard to ensure that there was no encroachment on current activities and were looking into bringing new blood in to the sport through their connection with the MCF and the introduction of a youth feeder series, an area where the MC Federation work hard throughout the year, we will obviously continue to support the series in any way we can”

Great shame, but no great surprise.

Let's face it the BSPA & SCB have successfully steered speedway in this country to the powerful and best selling attraction that it is today. Why on earth would they allow to upset the apple cart, and possibly allow the sport to fall into disrepair!

It is both sad and typical that a compromise or agreement couldn't be reached, I think those riders who had committed to this should feel very aggrieved.

they would have reason to feel aggreived if the league structure which provides dozens of riders with steady employment was undermined in any way by breakaway promoters and ultimately threatened the scope of employment offered. It is very tempting to see anything new as a good thing and i would expect criticism for my views but I would urge speedway to stay unified.

• Like 1

they would have reason to feel aggreived if the league structure which provides dozens of riders with steady employment was undermined in any way by breakaway promoters and ultimately threatened the scope of employment offered. It is very tempting to see anything new as a good thing and i would expect criticism for my views but I would urge speedway to stay unified.

Do you have reason to suspect that such a motive was behind this?

Yes, because it's doing such a bang up job - carry on!

1. This could have been a flop.

In which case, the BSPA would have a chuckle to itself

2. This could have been a success.

In which case, the BSPA would have a few fresh ideas

Thank God that's been averted.

• Like 3

Did Stanley Unwin write that press release?

This was my favourite bit "in many cases current British Speedway clubs indeed rent out venues on only other than on the evenings of club meetings taking place"

Edited by John Leslie
  • Like 1

Do you have reason to suspect that such a motive was behind this?

no, not motive - effect

I make no mention of motives - I assume they meant well

no, not motive - effect

I make no mention of motives - I assume they meant well

They probably did mean well, however, it is hard to see what ultimate good a separate organisation would do running a Sport governed by the FIM, SCB and BSPA. Surely this could, possibly, be construed as setting up a RIVAL operation.

For once I think the FIM/SCB/BSPA got it right.

• Like 2

Yet another opportunity bites the dust. Maybe its the plan of the BSPA to get Speedway to the level of an amateur sport in the UK?

They should go ahead with a couple of meetings at Oxford, if the track is still there.

They probably did mean well, however, it is hard to see what ultimate good a separate organisation would do running a Sport governed by the FIM, SCB and BSPA. Surely this could, possibly, be construed as setting up a RIVAL operation.

For once I think the FIM/SCB/BSPA got it right.

couldn't agree more

Good Speedway Star article about their intended plans!! Shame they didn't make more of them with an official proposal to begin with!!!