British Speedway Forum
Hunty

Uk Speedway Series

Yes,it's a good job you want to protect the riders as i am sure they are all clueless and will sign up to anything.....And of course if it does fail before it has got off the ground just what is it to you or any fan?You haven't as of yet set off for one of the meetings i hope or bought a UK speedway series jacket and beanie.....Why not just wait and see how this pans out?Hope they manage to sign up a bunch of decent riders and hope this provides the basis for a better future:if it fails it fails.But at this stage to start worrying about possible negatives seems a bit strange

Message received and understood!! I'll keep any further thoughts and opinions on this topic to myself and hope that if the series does come to a track near me on a Tuesday I hope it doesn't clash with an Islanders' fixture!! :blink:

So, with nothing positive to add, you thought you'd be the one who "pst on" the initiative.

Had it been launched with an interview and a full page advert in the Speedway Star (or comic as you refer to it) then undoubtedly you'd be the first to moan about it being "boring" & "same old, same old".

Facebook and Twitter? Well, that's no way to publicise things - no one uses those as social media tools do they?

As for "advertising on BSF" - where? Point at it.

Based on the first three names it looks like it may be aimed at British (I know Doolan isn't a Brit, but he's based here) riders who, in these days of a watered down Elite League, have been passed over in favour of the usual roper journeyman foreigners. If the series "only" provides a dozen or more with extra meetings to make their season more viable & the public with a few meetings with a decent field of PL RIders (as befits the earlier "cheap website" comment, then that's not a bad basis to start building on.

Still, why bother, with such encouragement.

Bit of an over-reaction there chap, maybe I was questioning the official status of the events without using the words you would have done but seeing as plenty of other people are unsure too I still smell a rat. Now if that's negative it's because I don't see this following what I consider to be adequate protocol with the launch and PR but we'll see if all the other ACU and SCB protocols have been followed in due course.

Difficult to be positive or negative about the prospect when there's so little information available on it. I don't think anyone's interested in knocking it down per se, but I can quite understand an air of caution. It would be good to know more about the series: Who will be involved and where, who are the organisers (on the speedway side), under what auspices will the events be run, potential fixture clashes, insurance, licences and so on. Clearly the MCF knows its way around these matters on a motocross front (which is where they started), but when they're dealing with a sport which is new to them then surely these queries are not unreasonable. I don't want to have a go, but equally I'm not going to be root for the concept blindly. Perhaps the bikerfm date will help.

Difficult to be positive or negative about the prospect when there's so little information available on it. I don't think anyone's interested in knocking it down per se, but I can quite understand an air of caution. It would be good to know more about the series: Who will be involved and where, who are the organisers (on the speedway side), under what auspices will the events be run, potential fixture clashes, insurance, licences and so on. Clearly the MCF knows its way around these matters on a motocross front (which is where they started), but when they're dealing with a sport which is new to them then surely these queries are not unreasonable. I don't want to have a go, but equally I'm not going to be root for the concept blindly. Perhaps the bikerfm date will help.

When you go to the theatre or to see a concert, do you check that the Fire Certificate & Public Liability Insurance policy is current & adequatre as well?

Without knowing / caring about such things (as a punter, I neither need to know or indeed have any right to know), I'm pretty sure that the MCF is more than capable of considering the implications of hiring venues from stadium owners & hiring the services of the self employed and taking sufficient precautions so that the livlihoods of those involved are not put at risk.

If at the end of the day it provides good entertainment & boosts the viability of those taking part being able to take part (not least of all in the activities of their PL clubs in the case of the three named so far) then that's a good thing to be supporting. The rest is paperwork - to be dealt with by others.

Edited by Backless
  • Like 2

So, what is it that, as presumably a prospective customer of the series, you think hasn't been "sorted" that is actually relevant to your position as a potential customer?

If a new supermarket opens near you, I hope they've got their planning permission, land surveys & building plans available for inspection.

I don't want to rain on anyone's parade, yet as far as I am aware, if you run a speedway meeting on a licensed speedway track anywhere in the UK, it will have to be sanctioned by the BSPA/SCB somehow. There is no way of getting 'round that fact as it is an insurance issue.

Also, any ACU/SCB licensed rider taking part in a meeting held on a non BSPA/SCB licensed speedway track, will risk having their license suspended. (That is putting it politely, i.e. they will lose their license).

Again - as far as I am aware - no other governing body can sanction a speedway event in the UK.

Having said that, good luck with it. More meetings can only be a positive.

Edited by staechmann
  • Like 1

Jan I belive years back a rider could loose there licence for riding in non acu events on non acu tracks! That rule has changed!

• Like 1

Surely the whole point of alternative organisations to the ACU is their ability to provide insurance and organisational backup to organising clubs, usually at a better rate given the ACU is like a government department when it comes to finding ways to spend it's members money. There is no reason the MCF can't provide insurance for a meeting held on a Speedway track, the flattrack series is running with them this year. There are a large number of sancioning bodies throughout motorcycle sport these days, no reason why Speedway should be different. In fact if I want to run a meeting or practice on a Speedway track or anywhere else I can go directly to the insurance company and get cover, even from the same insurers that the ACU use.

The licence issue should be no problem as it must be well over 20 years ago that the AMCA and ACU were at loggerheads and it was eventually settled in court that the ACU could not revoke riders licences for competing in events not sanctioned by themselves. I don't know how the SCB will feel about it but it's difficult to see how they could legally be any different. The only exception would be if they competed in one of these events and missed a BSPA meeting which they will automatically be expected to attend by signing for a team. Hence the Tuesday meetings I would imagine.

Many years ago the FIM stopped an alternative Road Race World Championship by threatening to not use tracks that held the alternative meetings. Can't see that Speedway would be willing to risk half a dozen tracks by trying the same thing which would very likely be illegal anyway.

• Like 2

I can't understand why those who don't know believe they do know when someone who does know tells them the facts!

So, what is it that, as presumably a prospective customer of the series, you think hasn't been "sorted" that is actually relevant to your position as a potential customer?

If a new supermarket opens near you, I hope they've got their planning permission, land surveys & building plans available for inspection.

I think speedway fans worry about their sport and its participants perhaps rather more than they are concerned about the fate of supermarket employees and the global future of capitalism.

I don't know what is or isn't sorted. That's rather the point. I'd like to find out.

• Like 1

I've asked around and got a bit more info on this, but it is pretty much as I said earlier:

The ACU is an umbrella organisation that covers all motorcycle sport in the UK.

Anything to do with speedway, under the ACU, has to go through SCB.

All speedway tracks must have an SCB track license.

All speedway riders must have an SCB license.

Speedway tracks cannot run a meeting not sanctioned by the SCB, or they will lose their track license.

Speedway riders will lose their license if they participate in an unlicensed speedway event.

The MCF cannot sanction a speedway meeting at a speedway track. Only the SCB can do this.

Edited by staechmann
  • Like 1

The MCF cannot sanction a speedway meeting at a speedway track. Only the SCB can do this.

Does anyone KNOW if the SCB hasn't sanctioned this

The obvious next question the. Are the SCB likely to sanction it

Edited by sancho