Beat the Bookie GP prize competition 2024 Read more... ×
British Speedway Forum
michaelcroucher

Speedway On Eurosport

with Sky deciding not to renegociate a new contract to screen the GP series, surley the writing is on the wall for the EL. I would guess GP's are being replaced by superleague and EL on Mondays will be replaced with a second choice Premier League game

. I would guess GP's are being replaced by superleague and EL on Mondays will be replaced with a second choice Premier League game

best ask flagrag how much it costs sky for a premier league match

with Sky deciding not to renegociate a new contract to screen the GP series, surley the writing is on the wall for the EL. I would guess GP's are being replaced by superleague and EL on Mondays will be replaced with a second choice Premier League game

The unfortunate situation is, if folks don't renew SKY subscriptions for the summer because of the lack of GP cover, the viewing figures for the EL matches on a Monday will also be down. If that is significant, then we also lose SKY and it's payments, but will those 'supporters' who only watch SKY, and NOT contributing anything to British Speedway, will they return to the stadiums to get their speedway fix.

Can't see the likes of oldace or Moxey returning, but we can expect more moaning of course.

• Like 3

If the BSPA agree to a rights free deal year by year, then maybe sky would keep the EL on. At the end of the day, if they are the only game in town, then speedway on tv has to be better than none

The unfortunate situation is, if folks don't renew SKY subscriptions for the summer because of the lack of GP cover, the viewing figures for the EL matches on a Monday will also be down. If that is significant, then we also lose SKY and it's payments, but will those 'supporters' who only watch SKY, and NOT contributing anything to British Speedway, will they return to the stadiums to get their speedway fix.

Can't see the likes of oldace or Moxey returning, but we can expect more moaning of course.

The thought of those two disappearing from the forum would almost make it worth not having speedway on tv at all! They are the grumpy old pair from the muppets

• Like 1

The unfortunate situation is, if folks don't renew SKY subscriptions for the summer because of the lack of GP cover, the viewing figures for the EL matches on a Monday will also be down. If that is significant, then we also lose SKY and it's payments

Probably a foregone conclusion already...

www.speedwayeuro.com

Apologies if this is already on here somewhere, but with Eurosport giving a 3 year commitment to this new series, there's surely a chance for other negotiations to be undertaken?!

It's like flogging your new sportscar and having to drive a 10 year-old vehicle, swappinjg SKY's coverage for Eurosport.

Then again, it'll make it all the more easier to cancel some of my SKY package and just go for the basics. Can watch footy on line should I need to.

Don't know though if all of us cancelling our subscriptions with SKY will actually cause shockwaves to the network. Perhaps them showing Cycle Speedway has given them a ready-made repalcement for Monday nights, sort of testing the water (this is meant to be a throw-away comment).

It's like flogging your new sportscar and having to drive a 10 year-old vehicle, swappinjg SKY's coverage for Eurosport.

Why would that be?

Sky only cover Cardiff, which they would continue to do to supply BSI / IMG so there would be no change in the pictures from the track.

Hopefully there would be someone new (anyone will do) to give us a break from the screaming & the orgasms, and that just means the loss of Keith hewean (sp?), and his sidekicks. So what?

If you are complaining about SKY's coverage... can't wait until Eurosport begins its broadcasts. I have memories of the speedway Eurosport has shown in the past, and the prospect of them being involved in the sport after the demise of the SKY deal doesn't fill me with a spring step.

Once again though... it's better than nothing.

But the pictures will be the same as now.

They'll blether on a bit in between heats rather than ask the Yank a simple question only to be answered by a barrage of words that need to be rearranged to make any sense.

Memories? Hell, I have memories of Alan Weeks doing speedway on the BBC. I guess it would be different on there too.

• Like 1

Yes, pictures are fine on SKY, I agree. But there are those - you may be included - who aren't happy with the pictures alone and continue to snipe at the pundits.

By the way, speedway in the 70s was better... I remember it well.

Eurosport looks so cheap in comparison to Sky...commentary usually done in a booth from the UK and not in the stadium....timings so off that when you put the channel on something else is normally showing that what is actually on the schedule....beggars can't be choosers i suppose but Eurosport is such a backwards step from Sky and all the moaners won't realise what thay are missing until it is not there

Eurosport take feeds, they don't film events themselves. So at best it is likely to be like the dreadful coverage of the Swedish League on Premier Sports. One camera and a bloke in a booth at a studio somewhere, with long periods where the single camera points at the track.

It would be awful

Don't talk cobblers: why would it be a single camera?

Eurosport "took a feed" from the Olympics - it didn't look like a home movie. Africa Cup of Nations on now. Looks fine.

Sky take a feed of every Grand Prix bar Cardiff. They choose to send what they think passes muster as a commentary team. But the pictures wouldn't change.

The lack of a bumbling Havelock or Ermolenko wrestling with a foreign tongue appeals more by the day

Eurosport looks so cheap in comparison to Sky...commentary usually done in a booth from the UK and not in the stadium....timings so off that when you put the channel on something else is normally showing that what is actually on the schedule....beggars can't be choosers i suppose but Eurosport is such a backwards step from Sky and all the moaners won't realise what thay are missing until it is not there

Sky did the exact same thing with the test matches in India - after spending the first few days pretending they were there!

Eurosport has a far bigger catchment as it doesn't expect it viewers to fork out to pay for football.

Sky did the exact same thing with the test matches in India - after spending the first few days pretending they were there!

Eurosport has a far bigger catchment as it doesn't expect it viewers to fork out to pay for football.