British Speedway Forum
cityrebel

Would Crowds Increase If Speedway Was Not On Television

does anyone think that saturday tracks will benefit from the liklihood of no GP'S on live tv this coming season, and will the EL survive if SKY pull the plug on domestic speedway when the current deal runs out at the end of 2013.

crowds will increase when admission fees are at a realistic level, around £10

this could only happen if riders were paid less

and this could only happen if their machinery was cheaper

there doesn't seem to be the will to make any of this happen though

• Like 6

League racing is far too expensive paying a minimum of £17 to stand in a shabby stadium is madness. £10 is more realistic and kids under 16 a £1. Tickets for GPs are not expensive. Don't think crowds will increase for either to be honest ,what a shame sounds like more decades in the wilderness.

For TV match crowds obviously 'yes' as the couple of dozen who go to Arena when SKY is there can't possibly be the actual weekly attendance.

So the matches covered by SKY would see increased attendance.

But would crowds actually INCREASE above those who go normally?

I can't see any reason why they would.

The price is too high. The sport is rarely promoted.

If SKY goes then the sport loses it's only form of actual promotion and biggest supporter.

Most likely attendance will fall in 2013 because of the effects of the failing economy.

If SKY is lost then the EL will not be able to survive and we will see the PL being asked to bail out a failed product.

And I can't see the PL falling for that this time around.

Maybe this reality check might result in the sport looking inward and trying to find British talent and give it a chance to show what it can do.

For the sport overall the loss of SKY will more than likely be a disaster.

But sadly the sport can't say it hasn't earned this fate.

• Like 7

I think gates across the country would increase but only marginally and certainly by nowhere near enough to offset the level of revenue generated by the Sky contract.

I don't think anyone would suggest that the loss of that contract (in the short to medium, certainly) would not be a disaster for the sport, and while EL clubs would feel it by far the most I suspect others would as well.

• Like 2

They certainlty would increase. Every single TV live match if not televised would have probably 1000 more people there. So 20 non TV matches, during a season, that would be 20,000 more people going. I used to go to all my teams home matches except when they were on TV live, and then I did not go.

Belle Vue should double the amount of people going there in 2014

Speedway has always been most successful when there has been no live speedway on Television.

Edited by mickthemuppet

I think the attendances would improve, but only slightly and certainly not enough to off set the money the Elite League clubs get from Sky. I dont go any where near the amount I used to go, and that is mainly down to having it on TV. But saying that I would prefer to see more PL televised.

I would like to see a weekly magazine type programme showing highlights from all the tracks. Most tracks these days have their meetings recorded and in the main are quite good quality, obviously not as good as the Sky coverage though.

I think the attendances would improve, but only slightly and certainly not enough to off set the money the Elite League clubs get from Sky. I dont go any where near the amount I used to go, and that is mainly down to having it on TV. But saying that I would prefer to see more PL televised.

I would like to see a weekly magazine type programme showing highlights from all the tracks. Most tracks these days have their meetings recorded and in the main are quite good quality, obviously not as good as the Sky coverage though.

I think you are correct re your weekly magazine type programme and if people like what they see they may be tempted to go to watch their local teams.

One of the problems with televised meetings is that if the weather forecast is iffy people will stay at home and watch it.

For TV match crowds obviously 'yes' as the couple of dozen who go to Arena when SKY is there can't possibly be the actual weekly attendance.

If SKY goes then the sport loses it's only form of actual promotion and biggest supporter.

Most likely attendance will fall in 2013 because of the effects of the failing economy.

If SKY is lost then the EL will not be able to survive and we will see the PL being asked to bail out a failed product.

Maybe this reality check might result in the sport looking inward and trying to find British talent and give it a chance to show what it can do.

I agree with much of what you've posted, and others too, except the bit in bold. The PL is a failed product too.

I agree with much of what you've posted, and others too, except the bit in bold. The PL is a failed product too.

The PL is a "failed product"? Despite receiving loose change from Sky and largely propping up the EL?

I suppose you'll be going to tell us the NL is the way to go then.

I was going to press the LIKE button on this Post. I have not done that because I do not like what Pandorum has to say.

The problem is that he is 100% CORRECT in what he says.

WELL DONE on a b****y good Post Pandorum!!! :approve: :approve:

The price isn't too high - the product and the surroundings are too low.

All the comments about cutting the price to a tenner miss the point. After an encouraging start, the idea bombed at Berwick last year because, laudable though it was as a gesture, everything else involved in dragging people away from their multi channel satellite, movies on demand, fast food at the front door homes is still just as expensive.

Probably exaggerated because of their location, Berwick fans still had to fuel their cars at rural prices and travel (further than most fan bases) just to get there.

The fact is that the show needs to be made better value - and that doesn't mean "a bit crap but at least it's cheap".

All of which ties in with the blinkered attitude from the BSPA to the UK Speedway Series.

They're apparently planning "wall to wall entertainment" not 15 races interrupted by random marathon tractor driving exhibitions, & birthday requests for something soothing by the Shadows.

Of course the BSPA will be saying that after the virus and all it's hoopla moves on, they won't be able to do the same every week.

One question: WHY NOT, DUMMIES?

• Like 1

They certainlty would increase. Every single TV live match if not televised would have probably 1000 more people there. So 20 non TV matches, during a season, that would be 20,000 more people going. I used to go to all my teams home matches except when they were on TV live, and then I did not go.

Belle Vue should double the amount of people going there in 2014

Yes but that's not really an increase is it?

Speedway has always been most successful when there has been no live speedway on Television.

How on earth can one possibly say that when the only regular live speedway here in the UK has been during the SKY era.

Speedway has seen many dips in popularity during it's existence when there was NO live TV coverage.

The word ALWAYS cannot surely apply as that implies speedway has been successful since it's inception which is not the case.

Various factors have impacted on it during it's history and Live TV is a very new concept for the sport.

TV has been both good and bad for speedway giving it a higher profile but affecting crowd levels as people prefer to watch at home than in the cold and wet.

But it's most successful periods were obviously at times when even football was not shown live with any regularity.

Would speedway have received a boost with live coverage in the 60s and 70s?

It was a lot cheaper to go so maybe crowd levels would have been maintained or even increased, even when the home match was on TV.

There was a lot less to occupy peoples time then and live sport was a draw.

So who knows if SKY coverage has damaged a sport that was dying due to more than one factor before SKY came along.

Maybe SKY have kept the sport going a bit longer.

Maybe without SKY we would have half the clubs with even less interest in the sport.

Perhaps modern speedways woes come from it's poor administration rather than SKY giving the lifeline of regular TV coverage.

crowds will increase when admission fees are at a realistic level, around £10

this could only happen if riders were paid less

and this could only happen if their machinery was cheaper

there doesn't seem to be the will to make any of this happen though

I totally agree with everything you have said but it won't happen. The best thing that could happen to speedway is that crowds keep falling and the sport dies a death, then a few years later someone starts it up again from scratch, basic equipment, few rules and a cheap night out.

I think no speedway on SKY would improve attendances as a lot of people must be put of attendinng a meeting when they see the processional Elite League fair shown on SKY.

Edited by oldtimer