British Speedway Forum
Mad Potter 2

Use Of Titanium

Thought I had read that Titanium could be used on bikes this year(Speedway Star).

Looking on The FIM World Championship Web site under Bike Spec. it states.

The bikes have a fairly simple set up and cannot be enhanced by any of the following means:

2nd restriction. Be constructed in any part from Titanium.

So can they or can't they use Titanium?

Edited by Mad Potter 2

I understood that they can use Titanium, and several riders have already commented against it's introduction since the decision. It is said to increase the costs but surely riders at all levels don't have to use Titanium, just stick with the standard constructions materials and let riders in the GP's make their own decisions about using it.

Fell into this trap myself when racing radio controlled cars over the UK years ago.

Everyone wants the latest spec'd up piece of equipment and they raced it, I did the same.

I left the sport for two years and came back. I raced against the same people with the latest spec'd up cars with my two year old car.

I still beat them.

Basically, it'll only be the big guys who will pinch and see the odd 0.25 seconds per race and benefit. National League, Premier League levels, keep it reliable, use decent parts and use your skill.

Edited by Deano
  • Like 2

Agree Tsunami but they nearly always do i.e. Lay downs, leading forks etc.

I agree, riders think they have to be on the latest rocket ship, especially is someone else can be twisted to pay for it. In many cases it is fashionable and doesn't make a deal of difference to that rider. Psychologically yes.

• Like 2

I agree, riders think they have to be on the latest rocket ship, especially is someone else can be twisted to pay for it. In many cases it is fashionable and doesn't make a deal of difference to that rider. Psychologically yes.

It looks good. That's usually as good as they get.

Yes, and with some that is the main reason. :P

• Like 1

Its the same as always the minority want it & can afford it. Where as the majority cant afford it but have have it to keep up.

• Like 2

Its the same as always the minority want it & can afford it. Where as the majority cant afford it but have have it to keep up.

To be fair. If someone told me that a certain driver would give me an extra 30 yards, I would probably buy it. :P

Build one bloody good reliable bike and not two. Beg borrow and steal for the meeting if you go through the fence with it.

Learn to ride it and ride it well.

Skill and smooth riding on the fastest line (not necessarily with the fastest bike) will always be better than several fast blasts and a big wobble.

Edited by Deano
  • Like 1

Peter Johns has recently posted on Twitter and Facebook that he has built a Motor with Titanium parts and run it and he was pulling it apart to see wear etc ...... So it`ll be in England this Year , an advantage ...? .. Jurys out here - we`ll see

Maybe Peter would like to comment ??

Lucky

Edited by Little-End

titanium valves ,conrods, valve rockers look good do they ? you have never seen any of these items or will ever understand the difference they make or the expense of them . thats more than likely why the Technical committee allowed the use of twit because they thought it looked good and made them look like they knew what they were talking about .

Edited by speedibee
  • Like 1

Fell into this trap myself when racing radio controlled cars over the UK years ago.

Everyone wants the latest spec'd up piece of equipment and they raced it, I did the same.

I left the sport for two years and came back. I raced against the same people with the latest spec'd up cars with my two year old car.

I still beat them.

Though having never ridden competetive speedway, the two sports are amazingly similar in that sense that if you're head is right, it's yours to take away.

• Like 1