British Speedway Forum
Mad Potter 2

Use Of Titanium

Ultimately Speedway NEEDS to be cheaper to participate - not more expensive. Everyone chasing faster times seem hell bent on sending the Sport faster to destruction.

It will also make the Sport more dangerous than it is now - I don't know about everyone else - but - I've had enough of seeing Riders get hurt.

• Like 3

Pardon my technical ignorance, but wasn't one of the benefits of titanium supposed to be that, although more expensive to buy, the titanium parts lasted longer. Giving a financial saving over a season.

Is this true or just a bit of 'spin' put about by those that wanted to use titanium?

ATB

Dave

Basically in this highly isolated incident while replying to speedibee I was simply winding him/her up. :approve:

Only 3 occasions a Finn gets serious i can think of

1.When his bottle of alcohol is empty

2.When he hasn't got enough money for a bottle of alcohol

3.When his sauna is busticated

Edited by iris123

Pardon my technical ignorance, but wasn't one of the benefits of titanium supposed to be that, although more expensive to buy, the titanium parts lasted longer. Giving a financial saving over a season.

Is this true or just a bit of 'spin' put about by those that wanted to use titanium?

ATB

Dave

spin Dave . Titanium has a shorter lifespan than the other metals used , One instance is titanium valves cannot be reground as steel valves are many times , when the mating surface gets worn titanium valves have to be replaced

spin Dave . Titanium has a shorter lifespan than the other metals used , One instance is titanium valves cannot be reground as steel valves are many times , when the mating surface gets worn titanium valves have to be replaced

A lot of steel valves in modern Japanese road and motocross bikes have a special coating on to help reduce friction that means they cannot be reground.

A lot of steel valves in modern Japanese road and motocross bikes have a special coating on to help reduce friction that means they cannot be reground.

Are riders using Japanese or Motocross engines this year? It has already been pointed out by a leading tuner that the current valves can be re-used and Titanium ones can't.

I have been told by a top tuner that for the price of a titanium conrod he could buy three standard rods. If he then changed a rod every other service it would still work out cheaper than with the titanium rod.

the introduction of titanium benefets nobody in speedway , the riders are losing out the pockets and the most important people of all in speedway the fans (remember them) it isnt going to improve speedway one bit so why is it being allowed ?, imo its either the people who allow it are really really stupid and cant see the wood for the trees in which case they shouldnt be allowed to make decisions or they are accepting sweetners to push for it to be allowed , there can be no other reason for it , its just plain madness and another example of the killing of speedway . i heard a quote from one member of the bspa say "but a titanium con rod will never snap " well let me tell you when a piston breaks and they do, it usually takes a rod with it and it wouldnt matter if it was made of kriptonite it will still be bolloxed and need a new one , :mad: :mad: :mad:

could well be true Long one . but we are talking about speedway engines which are currently all using regrindable steel valves . which will then be replaced with titanium valves that cost 3 times as much last half as long and need replacing rather than regrinding , anyway waht do you know about speedway . bloody cov fans !!

could well be true Long one . but we are talking about speedway engines which are currently all using regrindable steel valves . which will then be replaced with titanium valves that cost 3 times as much last half as long and need replacing rather than regrinding , anyway waht do you know about speedway . bloody cov fans !!

Not all steel valves used in speedway engines are regrindable.

Not all steel valves used in speedway engines are regrindable.

If they ain't they should be !! and they don't cost as much as titanium .!! are you an immigrant from a country that supplies Titanium ?

Genuine question from someone with no technical know how whatsoever - What would be the estimated time advantage over the course of four laps if one were to use titanium? I doubt it's significant. In which case just don't use titanium. Surely the regulations will not state titanium must be used!? If a handful of riders want to splash out on something that is probably not going to make any real difference then that's up them, surely? It doesn't mean everyone has to jump on the bandwagon. You can't moan about something you're choosing to do. It would be the same as riders moaning about having expensive paint jobs on their helmets or a fancy custom job on the van. :unsure:

Genuine question from someone with no technical know how whatsoever - What would be the estimated time advantage over the course of four laps if one were to use titanium? I doubt it's significant. In which case just don't use titanium. Surely the regulations will not state titanium must be used!? If a handful of riders want to splash out on something that is probably not going to make any real difference then that's up them, surely? It doesn't mean everyone has to jump on the bandwagon. You can't moan about something you're choosing to do. It would be the same as riders moaning about having expensive paint jobs on their helmets or a fancy custom job on the van. :unsure:

As I have said in an earlier post, this will only be an issue for GP type riders who a, can afford it and b, think it will make a definate difference. To the regular PL and NL rider it will be the rider that makes the difference, not the titanium.

• Like 1

Yeah, I saw your post and I agree (though no technical knowledge to back it up). Surely to EL riders, and probably half GP riders, it will be the case that it's simply not worth the expense too? I don't see why anyone would be up-in-arms about it being allowed. :unsure:

• Like 1

As I have said in an earlier post, this will only be an issue for GP type riders who a, can afford it and b, think it will make a definate difference. To the regular PL and NL rider it will be the rider that makes the difference, not the titanium.

I agree it wont make a difference but both pl and nl riders will want and will get these titanium parts. Why do they use straight back ends instead of loops. No difference in performance but double in price. Why do riders insist on straight pull wheels with fancy anadised rims?. They dont spin any faster than a standard jawa ones ,they will buy these bits. This decision is insanity with no benifits apart from the manufacturers

• Like 3