British Speedway Forum
Mad Potter 2

Use Of Titanium

Interesting article in last weeks Speedway Star with Peter Johns about the silencers and titanium. As we know the titanium is far more expensive and weighs less. BUT not a huge advantage , if riders tend to change carburettors regularly and don't know what they are doing with regards to the titanium valves - you could ruin them in one meeting. Mentioned that where you can shave the steel valves and use again once titanium dirty they are basically no good.

Titanium has been banned in speedway for many years . and I thought it was the SCB/BSPA who had relinquished the ban , but reading another thread its the FIM who have unbanned it , what the F*ck has the technical side of the poor relation sport got to do with the FIM .. they do nothing for the poor speedway and know even less about running it , so why cant the British, Polish ,Swedish , and Danish federations tell them to butt out and tell riders it's still banned . If the FIM don't like it . Tough

and didnt antonio lindback ride one of rickardsson's special frames and say it was the worst handling bike he had ever ridden

One of those special frames that was custom built for Tony Rickaardson's riding style? It seemed to suit him pretty well :t:

Whilst we're on the subject of Tony's frames, I believe that he was the first rider to use a straight back loop whereas everyone else was still using the rounded type style - nice to see that every other frame manufacturer has now adopted this... The man was miles ahead of everyone else. Wasn't he also the first to use chain guides to stop them being thrown?

One of those special frames that was custom built for Tony Rickaardson's riding style? It seemed to suit him pretty well :t:

Whilst we're on the subject of Tony's frames, I believe that he was the first rider to use a straight back loop whereas everyone else was still using the rounded type style - nice to see that every other frame manufacturer has now adopted this... The man was miles ahead of everyone else. Wasn't he also the first to use chain guides to stop them being thrown?

I think he was also the driving force and designer/seller of the Interspan type ignition boxes.

The weight of titanium rod and valves and any other other part used is only goin to be a small difference from the steel ones but it is claimed that it will produce an extra 1.5bhp which is nothing really but in a riders mind it will feel like a lap. An extra 1.5 bhp is useless unless it it can be put on to the track . It definatly wont be any use at a track like lakeside where 1.5bhp less is better but riders will still want titanium and they will have it and sadly the fans are the ones at the end of the chain who will end up paying for something they couldnt care less about and does nothing to enhance the sport

1.5bhp out of an 85bhp bike is actually quite a significant advantage.

On tarmac possibly.

Fair point and I accept raw power is actually not the answer in speedway. So if what we're saying is that power is just going to be wasted as wheel spin, Gollob and co won't want it so won't bother with Titanium then will they?

Fair point and I accept raw power is actually not the answer in speedway. So if what we're saying is that power is just going to be wasted as wheel spin, Gollob and co won't want it so won't bother with Titanium then will they?

In the real world no they wont but we are dealing with a generation that believes a soft drink with enough sugar to kill a horse really does give you the edge over you rivals and the same belief will be for titanium.

Edited by THE DEAN MACHINE
  • Like 6

What I can't get my head around is that if the riders are saying 'we do not want this' then why would they go out and buy it? I absolutely do not want a Subway sandwich for lunch today, so I'm not going to buy one!! ;):D

What I can't get my head around is that if the riders are saying 'we do not want this' then why would they go out and buy it? I absolutely do not want a Subway sandwich for lunch today, so I'm not going to buy one!! ;):D

titaniums performance apart , speedway is all psychological , you have to believe you will win , you can have all the best equipment money can buy but without the belief you wont win , to believe in yourself everything has got to be perfect and if another rider has got titanium parts and you havent you start to doubt your bike is good enough (may not be fact ) but you will think it and that slight doubt is enough for the oppostion to beat you , speedway bikes are really easy to ride but to race into a 1st corner with 3 other idiots takes 100% belief and the slightest doubt in you or your bike means you wont win . i cant explain it any simpler than that

Edited by THE DEAN MACHINE
  • Like 2

On a track with long straight’s with all things being equal apart from an extra 1000 revs out of one of the engine’s, at the end of a long straight it should be quite an advantage.

speedway bikes are really easy to ride

No they're not. You guys just make it look easy! :t:

I completely understand the point you're making, and agree with you that psychology can play a huge part. But, if as you've stated and seems to be the general view that nobody wants the titanium parts then why is anyone going to buy them? Why don't the riders just refuse en masse to buy the parts? Has any rider actual come out in favour and stated that he's going to buying in to it? Just rhetorical questions Dean. :)

titaniums performance apart , speedway is all psychological

You're right, there are loads of stories of riders complaining that they're bikes were crap, giving them to tuners/mechanics to fettle and all they'd do was polish the cases, then when they got them back, they'd be a different rider.

I think he was also the driving force and designer/seller of the Interspan type ignition boxes.

That I'm not sure of. I became friends with a chap at interspan (I think) back in 2003 when I was about to sign for Newport. I think the chaps name was Tony, not entirely sure. We had several conversations about magic boxes and which high profile riders use his products - he didn't at any point mention the great TR, thought he would have been the first person to mention?

Also funnily enough at no point did he ever try to sell me a magic box, or even let me try one! Coil packs all the way. Cheap and easy.

No they're not. You guys just make it look easy! :t:

I agree with Dean - compared to other motorcycle sports, speedway is definitely one of the easiest. I know we ramble on about throttle control and body positioning, but it really isn't that hard.

I don't know about anyone else - but - I am learning a tremendous amount from all of these Posts on this Thread. I hope it keeps going.

GREAT Thread - and thank you to everyone taking part in the Discussions. :) :) :t:

• Like 2