Beat the Bookie GP prize competition 2024 Read more... ×
British Speedway Forum
g13webb

Sanctioned Changes (good And Bad.)

I read with interest the article in the Letters section of last week SS and can relate to all comments in the correspondence from a Mr Bert Harkins, about all the changes that has happened to out beloved sport. Yes, hind-sight is a wonderful thing, but one has to wonder when some of the decisions were made, if the people that were making them, were in fit and sound mind. Will be interesting to hear what other Posters feel, were good or bad decisions......

PS. I liked the bit about the Castrol R being sprayed onto the track giving that strong smell. That's what missing from today's meeting and probably why supporters stay away.... :lol:

I read with interest the article in the Letters section of last week SS and can relate to all comments in the correspondence from a Mr Bert Harkins, about all the changes that has happened to out beloved sport. Yes, hind-sight is a wonderful thing, but one has to wonder when some of the decisions were made, if the people that were making them, were in fit and sound mind. Will be interesting to hear what other Posters feel, were good or bad decisions......

PS. I liked the bit about the Castrol R being sprayed onto the track giving that strong smell. That's what missing from today's meeting and probably why supporters stay away.... :lol:

I think most supporters stay away because the entrance fees are too high, many tracks are only accessible to car owners, and there are too few big tracks. I certainly agreed with much of what Bertola said (maybe we should have a retro series?) F2 might well become that, if it ever happens.

Good -air fences

.Sitting still at starts (no rolling)

.Cut outs

Bad-dirt deflectors

.new Silencers(beyond a joke)

.Tyres( should be made for wet tracks aswell)

.Oil catcher on end of breather pipe

.Enviromental mats ,oil comes from the ground its just recycling it

.Tatical double point rides

.Man on man last season( the worst idea ever )

.Allowing titanium

.The stupid rule about a finger hole in front chaingaurd

.the laydown wasnt a good idea but its not a rule

• Like 7

Good -air fences

.Cut outs

Bad-dirt deflectors

.Allowing titanium

You know Dean Machine - I think you just about covered it there. EXCELLENT Post. :t::approve: :approve:

You are right about the 'laydowns' too - if a little understated. :t::approve:

• Like 2

Good -air fences

.Cut outs

Bad-dirt deflectors

.Allowing titanium

I feel that equates to most of the decisions, Theres a few more good ones, like the Leagues points . Although the 40-38 scoreline was wonderful, it didn't reward the clubs who tried hard when competing away.

Edited by GRW123

I would add fixed gate positions to the list

Play Offs - VERY bad. :mad: :mad: :mad:

• Like 1

Theres a few more good ones, like the Leagues points . Although the 40-38 scoreline was wonderful, it didn't reward the clubs who tried hard when competing away.

Sorry, I'd add that to the top of the naff list along with the aggregate bonus point system that it replaced.

Play Offs - VERY bad. :mad: :mad: :mad:

The massive crowds suggest otherwise.

Play off are good for the sport, big crowds, media exposure and keeping the season alive for a few extra clubs are just 3 reasons.

• Like 1

The massive crowds suggest otherwise.

Yeah!!

Trading fairness and Good Sportsmanship for the Cash rewards of the 'Play Offs'.

Sold Speedway's credibility down the river. Thirty pieces of silver spring to mind - a betrayal of the word Sport.

GREAT isn't it? :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Edited by The White Knight

Yeah!!

Trading fairness and Good Sportsmanship for the Cash rewards of the 'Play Offs'.

Sold Speedway's credibility down the river. Thirty pieces of silver spring to mind - a betrayal of the word Sport.

How is it detrimental to speedways credibilty, when most sports have playoffs for their premier club competitions?

nrl,nfl,ipl,super 15, nbl, heineken cup, baseball world series etc.

Btw, why are so many peopke opposed to dirt deflectors? where we sat at the nz gp (entry yo thitd bend a couple of metres above the fenceline) we had a great view, without the deflectors we would have been covered with shale each lap.

Yeah!!

How is it detrimental to speedways credibilty, when most sports have playoffs for their premier club competitions?

Btw, why are so many peopke opposed to dirt deflectors? where we sat at the nz gp (entry yo thitd bend a couple of metres above the fenceline) we had a great view, without the deflectors we would have been covered with shale each lap.

Ah yes - the good old days. :t::approve: :approve:

Edited by The White Knight

because they come into the corner close to the fence it was the fence that caught the shale and if you look the riding line into a corner is usually void of shale after the first race

if you had sat half way round the bend it would of been a different story , i sat half way round the 1st and 2nd turn 4 rows back in prague and was shot blasted for the whole meeting it was so bad all the poles in front of us went and stood at the top of the steps ,the fact is they dont do anything ,i have seen this from the teracing and from the track , there are people who will deffend them but offer no proof other than their mates say they work but they dont , this is not a personal attack on barry briggs ,he does some good worthy things but the dirt deflector isnt one of them and has done nothing to make speedway any better since it was brought in , if you need proof for yourself go stand behind a bike off the start line you will be well an truly shot blasted, its a waste of money that speedway dosent need and cannot afford

Edited by THE DEAN MACHINE
  • Like 2