British Speedway Forum
speedibee

Darcy Showing What A Pro He Is Again

I still maintain that getting drunk and play fighting in a bar is hardly worthy of being slated for. The pissing in a doorway bit is wrong but do we know if that was Ward? Or was it Holder or Batchelor??

Glad to see you think recycling the alcohol is wrong. :approve:

But drinking is a huge part of todays generations lives,.

Was a big part in my life when I was younger. The difference was that then we knew when enough was enough and it was very rare that it resulted in anti-social behaviour. i have no problem with anyone getting drunk if it doesn't impact on others. Sadly all too often nowadays it does.

Ward still turns up on track, passes regular alcohol tests and trys 100% on track whilst entertaining and scoring shed loads of points earning lots of money, why the hell should I or any of us care about him having a drink or ten after a meeting in a foreign country?!

I love watching Darcy Ward he's the most naturally talented rider I've ever seen apart from Michael Lee and Ove Fundin. How much longer can he keep it up though. It's been well documented on this thread and other places how talented riders have failed to fulfil their potential.

I appreciate the fact that some people purely dont like booze and that , each to their own, but the older members of this forum should listen to the younger ones like me, dave minall etc as were regularly out and see exactly what goes on on a night out .

I'm well aware of what goes on, doesn't mean I have to like it or approve of it :P

You have dentist chairs everywhere now in clubs where you have some ###### in a nurses outfit pouring spirits down your throat whilst your being spun round, you have ten shots of sambuca for a fiver, you have 1 pound drinks in most clubs... The alchohol culture is a huge factor in todays youth.

I acutally feel sorry for todays youth if alcohol is what they aspire to. There's far more to be had from life than getting legless every weekend.

I will admit that Darcy is silly enough to regularly be seen in the thick of the action but believe you me, ive seen many more riders behave a lot worse behind closed doors and this rider was recently praised for how much time he gives to his fans and sponsors.

I think the key phrase here is "behind closed doors". Whether you like it or not Darcy Ward is in the public eye and as such has to put up with the publicity - good or bad. I do agree with SCB (I think said it) that if it was anyone other than Ward it wouldn't have been reported but that the way it is in this "celebrity culture" in which we live :wink:

Do not think worse stuff goes on - it does and always will, just some are a bit more sensible than Ward and keep it away from the public domain. But getting tanked up regularly is no more or less professional if the fans know about it or not

True

Difference is Speedway is a sport that isn't cared about, No credible journalist covers it.

Apart from that one time where Adrian Durham said Ryan Sullivan had retired.

I know I shouldn't bite, but - as a former speedway journalist - define "credible".

not really talking about Holder.

up to Ward he could be remembered for a multi world champion or piss it away. if he wants to enjoy the high life then i would rather someone dedicated to our sport be world champion

i bet you cant wait to finish work and have your slippers on by 6pm to watch the news while eating you fish tea lol but he is dedicated to the sport and left home to chase his dream at a young age and competes in the best leagues in the world and speedway grand prix thats alot of races and dedication is it not?living a fast paced life style with your mates in different countries racing, bars, fame oh and world champion of your sport or if your talking about darcy here then next world champion.

Darcy isn't getting rubbish just because of this incident, we have seen 3 very recent occasions that have shown, Ward + alcohol = bad things happen. His own promoter Matt Ford has said he has a problem. Yet barely weeks into the season there's already another incident regarding Ward + alcohol. That's why there's lots of comments on it.

As I said earlier, I don't even see it being outrage.

You don't know Darcy Ward.. you say he hasn't a drink problem.

Matt Ford DOES know Darcy Ward, he says he HAS a problem.

It appears clear that Ward has a problem when alcohol is involved, otherwise Ford wouldn't have said what he did.

I am as equally outraged that Holder and Batchelor were also involved.

However Ward appears to be the one with the alcohol problem, hence the reason why some are pointing it out.

The three of them seem to have a lot in common, Aussie ** ! :D Expect they had just frequented one of the special clubs the speedway riders seem to enjoy there :wink:

It appears clear that Ward has a problem when alcohol is involved, otherwise Ford wouldn't have said what he did.

I am as equally outraged that Holder and Batchelor were also involved.

However Ward appears to be the one with the alcohol problem, hence the reason why some are pointing it out.

Batch's hangover must have been a biggy, judging by his score in Poland last night!!

• Like 1