British Speedway Forum
lukepuckett45

Is British Speedway A Dying Sport? If So, Why? And What Can Be Done To Save It?

there's about nine million posts on here about this already - just pick the bones out of them -

tracks, engines, riders, telly, money, etc etc ad nauseum

For once I'm putting my positive hat on - we don't need any more negative posts about what's wrong with our sport. Lets just enjoy our speedway again when it resumes in a couple of weeks.

• Like 9

First time poster ... Please use the search facility and you will find several very long threads that have discussed this to death this winter.

Have a Look At the Havvy retirement Thread, Take a look at the world cup race ,If you were getting 6-7 Races like that per meeting, You would have to get there early to get your place, this is what speedway needs

• Like 1

I feel that British Speedway is a dying sport for many reasons, I just wanted to know what everyone elses views on the topic were.

I think it will probably end up downsizing, there seem to be too many tracks and riders running at a loss. I could well imagine the day when there are just a few tracks and part time riders. Despite claims to the otherwise, we have seen how Swedish and Polish clubs have gone bust or been unable to pay riders, next season Poland's top league is only going to have eight clubs in it.

Obviously a lot of people won't like reading this but I can well imagine it going that way.

Imagine if the GPs took in Australia and Argentina and then travelled up to the USA and maybe added a couple more European venues, that would then virtually become a full time occupation in itself.

• Like 2

It's in a state because those who run it don't produce the product that the paying customer want.

With all due respect, and I am as guilty of this as anyone else, but lets cut the promoters some slack here, this whole those who run it don't produce what the paying customer wants is wide of the mark.

How can you say what the paying customer wants?

If you wanted a marching band during the interval or on the parade, is that the voice of every paying customer in British Speedway?

If SCB wants all OAP's banned, is that the voice of every paying customer?

If Gemini wants no fireworks because they scare her dog, is that the voice of the paying customer?

Of course it isn't (And please do not take offence if I have mentioned you, they were the first couple of statements I have seen that came into my head)

The only way you will ever know what the majority of paying customers want is to get out there and ask questions, get a mailing list, mobile numbers. (Everyone does this from Football Clubs to Greyhounds)

I was in Manchester for a weekend last year with mates, we were at a loose end on the Friday so we went to the dogs at Belle Vue, got discount admission for £2 by downloading a voucher, they in return got my e-mail address and mobile phone number, I now get "offers" and news off them on a regular basis.

Every successful business will know there customers, those Tesco Clubcards people use....do you think they are doing it out of the goodness of there hearts?

Of course not, it allows Tesco to analyze everything you buy, market trends etc...

• Like 5

It's in a state because those who run it don't produce the product that the paying customer want.

30 two lap races? :)

speedway is in decline because its a proffesional sport governrd by amatuers

That's a bit insulting to amateurs. Plenty of so-called amateur sports are better run than speedway... :blink:

• Like 4

speedway is in decline because its a proffesional sport governrd by amatuers its own promoters!

...and ban the use of Twitter for all managers, riders and track staff!! :P

Edited by Skidder1