British Speedway Forum
Team Man

National Speedway Museum Website

Website up and running, by no means complete as it is on going.

http://www.national-...o.uk/index.html

I have put this on the Museum thread but I wanted to let you all know, so here it is again

Mod Note: The same rules that apply to everyone else STILL also apply to you - one topic in relevant section

• Like 2

Well I can certainly recommend the Museum - it is BRILLIANT. I have been twice. I haven't even seen the Extension yet - but - I am looking forward to another visit. :t::approve: :approve:

• Like 1

The National Speedway Museum has many updates since it was last publicised on the BSF. Here is its latest link - I entered (AGAIN) and found it fascinating.

http://www.national-speedway-museum.co.uk/index.html

Well that website certainly deserves to be in a museum!! Looks like it was created on a 1980s Sinclair Spectrum.

Tried to go to this museum on a visit to Rye House, but they wanted us all to pay £20 each for the little zoo that's there before we could get into the museum, so we told them where to stick it. £80 for a zoo that no one was interested in before we could see the museum....what a joke.

On 8/26/2009 at 8:04 PM, ianmartin said:

A couple of weeks ago I enjoyed a visit to the Speedway Museum at Paradise Wildlife Park. I feel I must congratulate ALL the people involved for a wonderful facility presenting virtually a full HISTORY of our wonderful Sport of Speedway..

The memories evoked were in some ways very sad for me. My Club, Sunderland closed back in 1974 - but - how nice it was to see a Poster had been put up to at least show that Sunderland were part of Speedway's GREAT history.

The old Speedway Bikes from pre-war up to Jason Crumps Bike of today. Peter Craven (one of my heroes), Gary Havelock from my current Club Redcar 'Bears', Terry Stone - President of the WSRA - former Rayleigh 'Rocket' who actually rode at Sunderland all those years ago. Ivan Mauger (rode in 19 Races at Sunderland and won the lot), Bert Harkins, 'Banger' Jansson, Steve Wilcock - ahh the Memories.

Also nice to see the Vic Harding Memorial Meeting Race Jacket (another former Sunderland Rider) hanging up with SO many Club Race Jackets from yesteryear.

Thank you for a superb experience.

I WOULD RECOMMEND A VISIT - I GUARANTEE THAT YOU WILL NOT BE DISAPPOINTED.

On 8/30/2009 at 7:00 PM, Haggis said:

Glad you enjoyed your visit to the Museum, Ian, it's nice to have positive feedback (we welcome any comments, good or bad) and I hope that you will make the journey down from "Sunny Sunderland" again sometime as the exhibits are always changing.

The next stage is to extend the Museum by moving one of the walls out and hopefully this will be ready in time for NEXT year's High Beech 'Celebration of Speedway' at the Park in February 2010.

On 10/21/2009 at 12:57 PM, Brian L said:

Ian I am pleased the race jacket that I loaned to the Museum is on display and that you enjoyed seeing it. The race jacket was worn by Bobby Garrad in the 1980 VHM event and is signed by him on the back.

See my tribute to Vic Harding on the Canvey Island website with a great action photo of Vic riding for Sunderland in 1974; feel free to leave comments.

http://www.canveyisland.org/page_id__429_path__0p22p.aspx

Must try to get back to the Speedway Museum and see how it has come on!

On 2/12/2010 at 6:32 AM, chrisssteeven said:

The Museum was the brainchild of the World Speedway Riders' Association. They approached the former rider and owner of Paradise Wildlife Park, Peter Sampson. Peter was an accomplished Speedway rider in the 1960’s and he rode for teams such as Rayleigh, Hackney, Rye House, Swindon and Newcastle. So when the idea of creating a Speedway Museum was suggested, Peter kindly offered it a home at Paradise.

This museum project wouldn't have been possible without the World Speedway Riders' Association, Peter Sampson, plus the many Speedway fans around the country who contributed to raise funds for building the museum and we thank them all, including George and Linda Barclay for their fund raising efforts. George and Linda played a key role in establishing The Speedway Museum.

The Speedway Museum is proud to have a number of former Speedway World Champions as life Vice Presidents. These are currently: Barry Briggs, Freddie Williams, Ivan Mauger, Ronnie Moore and Michael Lee.

On 3/4/2016 at 10:03 PM, Laobob said:

Dropped in to the museum on the way home from Stansted. I was really impressed with what was in there but surprised there was not more memorabilia from the speedway teams but nevertheless seeing pictures, bikes and old programmes brought back good memories.The museum was closed and the keyholder had to be found. The holder was a certain Bert Harkins, who proceeded to give us a guided personal tour. What a great bloke, thanks Bert for the pleasure of your company and hearing your experiences :-)

These are some Posts made on an origination of this thread but which I thought - and I know others may not - deserved to be recorded on this update for The National Speedway Museum. I hope others enjoy reading the comments as much as I did - but do remember the quotes are not recent items.

Edited by gustix

The website has now been updated, modified and incorporated by The World Speedway Riders Association.

Here is the new Link to the website: but please note - the original Link i submitted in the OP is also still operative. As the old say goes something like "...yer pays yer money and you takes yer choice!..."

http://www.world-sra.co.uk/index.html

Edited by gustix

Forwarded message:

Respected Exeter historian Rob Martikies has contacted me via PM in regard to my surmise that there may have been an Exeter Speedway Museum with one-time rider and team manager Bernard 'Bronco' Slade involved with it.

Rob who knew 'Bronco' for many years says that my thoughts in the OP in regard to the museum were no more than speculation.

Rob wrote, "I have no knowledge of this museum."

A nice tasteful response on Rob's part which is much appreciated.

It seems our hopes have been dashed and the forerunner to the National Speedway Museum is just a figment of someones imagination.I was hoping this was where we would find Mason Wears monkey mask and maybe the missing bike once sat on by Stan Tebby and the original 'crusty pie' that gave its name to a one time speedway rider,who may have eaten Quaker Oats for breakfast before going bobby car racing at Aldershot........

Many years ago I went to a temporary Exeter Speedway based exhibition that was being held over (I think) an August Bank Holiday. ISTR it was at an existing transport(?) collection and made a suitable interval between Poole in the morning and Exeter in the PM.

Many years ago I went to a temporary Exeter Speedway based exhibition that was being held over (I think) an August Bank Holiday. ISTR it was at an existing transport(?) collection and made a suitable interval between Poole in the morning and Exeter in the PM.

That appears to be what I must have been thinking about Alan Jones. As I made clear in my original comment in no way was I being positive as to if there having been an Exeter Speedway Museum - just querying if there had been one. Thank you for this update.

Edited by gustix