British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
SC1

Travelling In Poland

A couple of us are going to the Gorzow GP, we are staying in Berlin Friday, getting the train to gorzow for the GP and then staying in Gorzow Saturday night.

We were hoping to go to one of the Polish elite league fixtures on the Sunday. There are ones in Wroclaw, Bydgoszcz, Gniezno, Rzeszow and Gora.

I wondered if anyone could recommend one that would not be too hard to get to and give any tips on getting there.

We could get the train, but on a Sunday most of the journeys look very long, or hire a car but I have heard some horror stories of driving in Poland.

Any help or tips would be appreciated.

Also if anyone knows times of these meetings and if it easy to get tickets I would appreciate it.

We need to be back in Berlin on Monday and would probably get the train back Monday morning if there is a decent Polish town on Sunday to stay in.

Many thanks in advance.

Well I recommend you Zielona Gora. It's just about 100 km from Gorzow, and they have fantastic team, and fans.

I'd also recommend you this site http://www.e-podroznik.pl/. Here you can find all public transport connections, including trains, and buses.

Your idea to rent a car is also good, it's not so bad on polish roads, in my opinion italian drivers are much worse :P... but maby that's because I got used to driving in PL :-). anyway don't worry, just pay your attention on the road and everything will be all right :-)

I'll be going to the Gorzow SGP too. I'm flying in and out of Poznan and hiring a car.

My plan is to go to the Falubaz Zielona Gora v Stal Gorzow meeting on the Sunday, basically because it's the only show in town on that day. And ZG is only about an hour from Gorzow by car, Honestly, it's the speedway equivalent of the "Old Firm Derby" and NOT to be missed. The way things are, there are spare seats in the car to get from Gorzow to Zielona Gora, and you will be welcome to them, but I'm staying in a hotel local to ZG before driving back to Poznan on the Monday, so you will need to bear that in mind with your own travel & accommodation arrangements. Top tip though if you are going to this meeting, and that is to cultivate an e-mail connection with someone at ZG to ensure that you're not left outside when the meeting starts as it WILL be a sell-out.

Zielona Gora is about the same distance away as Gorzow and has direct rail links to Berlin I think, so you should be OK for a reasonably short train ride back from there.

Driving on main roads in Poland is no big deal. Even I can manage it lol. OK, they subscribe to driving on the wrong side of the road, but the roads are quieter than say Germany or France, and although signs are in Polish, stuff like directional signs are easy to understand. They say that Poles drive like Tomasz Piszcz rides, but honestly, they are no worse than Italians, the French or the Spanish. Lots of Polish roads go through woodland and forests, where you might notice lots of scantilly dressed "hitch-hikers" in the turn-ins to picnic areas etc. Warning - rumour has it that they may not be all that they seem! :wink:

The way things are looking, I'm holding on til later before buying currency. Sterling has tumbled recently and is at a low, so as exchange rates tend to go in cycles, it may have recovered by the middle of the year, so you will get more for your money by waiting a while.

Hope that this helps, and if it's of use, then mine's a Tyskie from the barge moored on the riverside in Gorzow :drink: See you out there!

Thanks for the advice both of you, I really appreciate it.

I might find a rental car from Berlin that we can take to Poland but if we dont I might come back to you and see if your seats are still free.

I will certainly beware for hitch hikers!

If anyone else has any tips, ecspecially on getting the tickets for Zielona Gora then they would be most welcome.

And if I see you I will buy you a pint for sure.

Thanks again

Top tip for renting a car from Berlin this year is NOT to go with the "special offers" that the airlines tout.

Last year the situation was different. Through Ryanair, I was able to book an Opel Astra Turbo for €25 for a day in Germany, thanks to their deal with Hertz. I almost sleepwalked into hiring with Hertz for Poland again this year, thinking that their rates are bound to be competitive again. No such luck. This year, the Hertz rates are much higher. I was able to rent much cheaper online through a Polish "broker". Likewise, when I was due to need a hire car earlier this year in Germany, "Sixt" were hallf the price of Hertz for comparable deals. Can't guarantee you'll have the same experience, but it'll be worth shopping around I think.

Cheers

Martin

Looks like I won't be the only beneficiary of this question, so does anyone have a working e-mail address of someone at the Falubaz Zielona Gora office please?

I've tried e-mailing 'info@zuzel.zgora.pl' (as per the web site) but no-one has had the courtesy to reply yet. Obviously, my e-mail was in English, which may have a bearing on this but it wasn't a hinderance in getting replies in the past from Gorzow, Leszno or Tarnow. Maybe the address is wrong or has been changed without the web site getting updated...who knows?

Anyway, for the benefit of us Brits who will be in Poland for the Falubaz v Stal Gorzow fixture, and who want to obtain tickets, any assistance in establishing contact would be very much appreciated.

Thanks.

You used old web site address and also old e-mail ... Actual one is klub@zkzssa.pl (web site www.zkzssa.pl)

Thanks for that. I've sent an e-mail to the suggested address, lets see what happens. Keeping fingers crossed here.

Just remember if you hire a car in Berlin there are restrictions as to what makes are allowed to be taken into Poland. If you hire a German make (other than Opel) you are not allowed to take them into Poland with Sixt or Hertz & you have to tell them at the desk that you are going to Poland, if you don't and the car gets stolen you will have to cough up for the car. I went to Lezno about 3 years ago & hired what I thought was going to be a Focus turned out to be a Golf & when I told the bloke on the desk I was off to Poland he swapped it for a Volvo.

Still no reply from Falubaz :cry: What's Polish for "customer service"?

I'll be hiring a car from Poznan airport. Interesting information though. Never knew any of that! Food for thought for the future. Thanks.

Hmmmphhh - STILL no reply from Falubaz.Zielona Gora :neutral: I even wrote to Falubaz Wolfslake in my best German to see if anyone knows anyone in Poland who could help, but it seems to be corporate philosophy not to reply to foreigners.

They obviously don't feel the need for any more people through their turnstiles. OK, time for Plan C...

Hmmmphhh - STILL no reply from Falubaz.Zielona Gora :neutral: I even wrote to Falubaz Wolfslake in my best German to see if anyone knows anyone in Poland who could help, but it seems to be corporate philosophy not to reply to foreigners.

They obviously don't feel the need for any more people through their turnstiles. OK, time for Plan C...

Turn up and jump in Sundstrom's van... That's what I am going to do.

Turn up and jump in Sundstrom's van... That's what I am going to do.
Wont you be back at school by then

I think that there must be some kind of "FIM Virtual Speedway Fan" Playstation game that KKS is playing that enables him to be everywhere all the time. Big question though is when he's fed up of being a speedway fan does he play his World of Warcraft game or does he pretend to be Lara Croft?