British Speedway Forum
PHILIPRISING

Champions League No Go

DENMARK have now joined Sweden in pulling out of the proposed Champions League for 2013 which just leaves Great Britain.

Nothing wrong with the basic concept but until all the practicalities are resolved it will remain a pipe dream in my opinion.

• Like 1

DENMARK have now joined Sweden in pulling out of the proposed Champions League for 2013 which just leaves Great Britain.

Nothing wrong with the basic concept but until all the practicalities are resolved it will remain a pipe dream in my opinion.

Shame. :sad: :sad:

Looking forward to the Poole v Swindon final to decide the champions of europe

• Like 5

So what are the hurdles? Haven't read much into it tbh, a link would be enough.

lets be honest it was a total non starter - some riders might have had 3 or 4 clubs that they were signed to all involved! Who the hell would they have ridden for?

• Like 6

I think the hurdles are obvious. Agreeing which riders ride for what team

I think the hurdles are obvious. Agreeing which riders ride for what team

That's one.... hurdles is plural.

In years passed the rider who rode for both teams only rode for the home side.

Doing the same thing would be no more ridiculous than the British League guest facility.

Edited by Deano

Said years ago it's a stupid idea that'll never happen. Still dont see that changing.

Would be a farce of a competition

• Like 3

Riders riding for several teams across europe, team strengths different (ie swedens elite lge much stronger than britains), fitting it all within a v busy domestic schedule - just 3 issues off the top of my head. Great idea but a bit of a no go really.

Riders riding for several teams across europe, team strengths different (ie swedens elite lge much stronger than britains), fitting it all within a v busy domestic schedule - just 3 issues off the top of my head. Great idea but a bit of a no go really.

Cheers. Get the gist now.

Strange you didn't share this opinion before it was cancelled !
  • Like 2

What a shame and not for the want of a lot of hard work by Alex Harkess amongst others.

Mainly down to pay rates, I gather, as it had been decided which teams riders would represent, based upon either their country of origin or the team they had been signed to the longest.

To even up team strengths, the British teams could have dropped their 6 and 7 and replaced them with other club assets - in Poole's case eg Lindback and Walesek. For Swindon, not sure, as they don't seem to do assets!! :wink:

Anyway all a bit academic now, but an even bigger disaster for retaining the Sky contract!!!!

Yep,always is/was going to be difficult to organise,unlike football where you can only represent one team in Europe,riders riding for multi teams will always lose credibility.