British Speedway Forum
speedy19902006

Dissertation Questionnaire- The Results

It's not ageist to suggest ways to attract younger people to meetings, in fact it's exactly what speedway needs. It is, however, ageist (and fairly offensive) to slag people off because of their age, poking fun at their dress and the way they choose to enjoy the sport.

But you can't complain about the image of the sport and then continue to buy the products that are the image of the sport. If 93% think the sport has an image problem, why do most buy into it then? They're hypocrites.

And if you dare suggest ways to bring in a younger audience the old guard complain about it and call you ageist and think you hate old people. Go and take a look at the new speedway magazine thread, someone is trying something new and fresh so in come the old guard to slag it off.

I agree with a lot of what you are saying SCB, particulary regarding the new ideas and the 'old guard'.

I think you make a little too much of the 'products' side of things though. Speedway merch isn't too far removed from the kind of merch you see being worn at much larger events such as Nascar.

The key is, nothing new is tried. Fresh ideas are always panned. The simple fact of the matter is, new fresh ideas are a threat to the existing cartel who run the sport. If the sport was ever to thrive and be sucessful there would be no place for many of the current incumbutents of power.

But you can't complain about the image of the sport and then continue to buy the products that are the image of the sport. If 93% think the sport has an image problem, why do most buy into it then? They're hypocrites.

And if you dare suggest ways to bring in a younger audience the old guard complain about it and call you ageist and think you hate old people. Go and take a look at the new speedway magazine thread, someone is trying something new and fresh so in come the old guard to slag it off.

I wouldn't slag it off, but From what I've seen of it, it won't be to my taste. The Speedway Star has served us well and is even about to be available online, I wouldn't like to think that anything else would weaken it's position, this product is only to be available four times a year, but will it remain like that or will it become a serious rival if it gets established? If past examples are anything to go by, it'll probably fizzle out.
  • Like 1

"Hypocrites" is a bit strong, but I take your point. There is undoubtedly far too much negativity, but that's common on pretty much every sporting forum. Speedway promoters have a fine line to tread, trying to find ways of updating the sport's fairly tatty image while keeping its long-serving, traditional audience happy. Rather them than me.

• Like 1

Have to agree with SCB regarding attracting younger fans and the old guard standing firm and not wanting change

The fact is that the sport does need to be marketed a lot better and needs to target the younger people, because there are far few younger people attending speedway than when I was in my teens.

These I stand on the terraces at Sheffield worrying 50% of the crowd may not be alive in 10 years time let alone attending speedway meetings.

Have to agree with SCB regarding attracting younger fans and the old guard standing firm and not wanting change

The fact is that the sport does need to be marketed a lot better and needs to target the younger people, because there are far few younger people attending speedway than when I was in my teens.

These I stand on the terraces at Sheffield worrying 50% of the crowd may not be alive in 10 years time let alone attending speedway meetings.

I agree totally - but - does the Sport not also need to target all those who are lost to the Sport - those who used to attend and then stopped for whatever reason.

Many have said the same on this forum and you're 100% right.

To do that to best effect, there needs to be one body, the BSPA, initiating it. No point in each team/promotion doing their own thing, flock shooting in marketing has least effect. It would also be most cost effective due to economies of scale. it would be quite easy for the BSPA to have a 'development fund', which could be based on a percentage of each promotions gate receipts.

Edited by george.m

Many have said the same on this forum and you're 100% right.

To do that to best effect, there needs to be one body, the BSPA, initiating it. No point in each team/promotion doing their own thing, flock shooting in marketing has least effect. It would also be most cost effective due to economies of scale. it would be quite easy for the BSPA to have a 'development fund', which could be based on a percentage of each promotions gate receipts.

COST!!! :shock: :shock:

You ARE joking. This is the BSPA we are talking about. Spending money is not their forte. :shock::rofl::blink:

I think you can keep both happy though. Just bring in presenters who are not in their 60s as is the case at 90% of tracks, find some guys in their 20s or 30s. Change the music so it's not "hits of the 70s (or 80s if we're lucky)" on a loop all season. And give up on the announcing eveyrones birthday and anniversary, it's cringe-worthy unless they're 5-10 in which case it's cool to hear your name on the PA.

They're smaller, almost irrelevant things but I think they'd make a huge difference for a start.

Also, before a meeting for 30 minutes, have an autograph session where every rider has to be available to sign autographs, this has to happen at every track. Get the kids hooked now at 5-10 and you could have a fan for 70 years.

Also, give up on the "family sport". At £60-70 for a family of 4 to get in, park the car, buy a programme and eat it is NOT a family sport. Thats the bets part of £300 a month! No family can afford that, ok they an save £15 a week by not buying a burger but by the time you get home from work and get ready have you got time to make the kids tea? If you're travelling 25 miles you have to leave no later than 7 for a 7.30 start, if you dont get home until 5.30 it's pushing it. So give up on family sport and go with danger, dirty, adrenaline fueled mad men on bikes. Also look at the age demographic, it's not families, it's old people!

I think you can keep both happy though. Just bring in presenters who are not in their 60s as is the case at 90% of tracks, find some guys in their 20s or 30s. Change the music so it's not "hits of the 70s (or 80s if we're lucky)" on a loop all season. And give up on the announcing eveyrones birthday and anniversary, it's cringe-worthy unless they're 5-10 in which case it's cool to hear your name on the PA.

They're smaller, almost irrelevant things but I think they'd make a huge difference for a start.

Also, before a meeting for 30 minutes, have an autograph session where every rider has to be available to sign autographs, this has to happen at every track. Get the kids hooked now at 5-10 and you could have a fan for 70 years.

Also, give up on the "family sport". At £60-70 for a family of 4 to get in, park the car, buy a programme and eat it is NOT a family sport. Thats the bets part of £300 a month! No family can afford that, ok they an save £15 a week by not buying a burger but by the time you get home from work and get ready have you got time to make the kids tea? If you're travelling 25 miles you have to leave no later than 7 for a 7.30 start, if you dont get home until 5.30 it's pushing it. So give up on family sport and go with danger, dirty, adrenaline fueled mad men on bikes. Also look at the age demographic, it's not families, it's old people!

Yes - we are keeping it going until the younger generation come along. :blink:

Note to self:

Blanket, yes, Chair, yes, Umbrella, yes, Sandwiches, yes, Flask, yes!!! Great - all ready for the new Season. :wink:

• Like 2

From what I can see of our young supporters (17 - 35 perhaps), they sure as hell don't add to the atmosphere, not cool to clap, to shout, to sound an airhorn, young people do my head in from that point of view .............. ok some young people. It's a shame they can't let their inhibitions go! Perhaps a couple of pints or a few shots oughta be compulsory for them before a meeting starts ;)

I dunno how the sport can attract young people for the right reasons, I guess the promotions have to just keep pushing it in the media, hope for big sponsors and promote some more. Bit of a chicken and egg situation really!

And SCB, we're not all bloody old, 46 is the new 30 ;) At least all us oldies are keeping the sport alive, but yeah I would go with the dangerous sport tag raced by fit, crazy guys on bikes with no brakes image rather than family sport, that's what it is after all :)

Edited by Trees

From what I can see of our young supporters (17 - 35 perhaps), they sure as hell don't add to the atmosphere, not cool to clap, to shout, to sound an airhorn, young people do my head in from that point of view .............. ok some young people. It's a shame they can't let their inhibitions go! Perhaps a couple of pints or a few shots oughta be compulsory for them before a meeting starts ;)

I dunno how the sport can attract young people for the right reasons, I guess the promotions have to just keep pushing it in the media, hope for big sponsors and promote some more. Bit of a chicken and egg situation really!

And SCB, we're not all bloody old, 46 is the new 30 ;) At least all us oldies are keeping the sport alive, but yeah I would go with the dangerous sport tag raced by fit, crazy guys on bikes with no brakes image rather than family sport, that's what it is after all :)

Yeah - and for the young supporters too!!! :wink:

no there doesn't need to be a 'hope for the best' policy - there are recognised and well used ways to develop a business. A good marketing company is a starting point. I've put ideas on here myself - I've worked in business development - but we need BSPA to club together and market Elite, Prem and NL speedway.

• Like 1