British Speedway Forum
Hunty

Inside Speedway Magazine

Just ordered ours - Looking forward to getting it. Lets hope it AND the Star are around for years to come :)

• Like 5

Some people are hard to please.

People who say it won't work because it will be old news before it reach the shelves are talking nonsense.

Almost every magazine out there is exactly the same. Playstation, Xbox, FHM, Esquire, Nuts, Fast Ford, Total Vauxhall etc etc etc all has content you can find elsewhere for free but they still sell 1000's each time.

There is no reason why Inside Speedway & Speedway Star can't work side by side and maybe on odd occasions together.

I recommend everybody (even Phil Rising) purchase the first addition and look for themselves before criticising something they've never seen.

Week after week we hear speedway needs more coverage, promoting blah blah blah yet someone tries to move thing forward positively yet Speedway Forum members can't wait to trample all over it, brilliant - give yourselves a pat on the back.

Good luck Inside Speedway & Speedway Star. Regardless of opinion of some this sport strongly needs you to survive

I have NO worries about 'Speedway Star's' survival. It ran for years with a Monthly Magazine - 'Speedway Express' - and, of course the Weekly 'Speedway Mail'. Personally, I hope that this is a success because the more quality periodicals that are available to us Supporters the better as far as I am concerned.

Slightly different I know - but there are also the EXCELLENT offerings from Retro Speedway in the form of 'BackTrack' and 'Classic Speedway'. :t:B)

Very best wishes to 'Inside Speedway'.......................... :)

• Like 1

I have NO worries about 'Speedway Star's' survival. It ran for years with a Monthly Magazine - 'Speedway Express' - and, of course the Weekly 'Speedway Mail'. Personally, I hope that this is a success because the more quality periodicals that are available to us Supporters the better as far as I am concerned.

Slightly different I know - but there are also the EXCELLENT offerings from Retro Speedway in the form of 'BackTrack' and 'Classic Speedway'. :t:B)

Very best wishes to 'Inside Speedway'.......................... :)

That's very true, but I think there was a bigger market in days gone by. Anyway, we have to remain optimistic that crowds will increase and the hunger for magazines also.
  • Like 1

I completly understand, I do often purchase the SS but my point being is that some of the information in there is old news... by the time I purchase it!

Sorry, I have edited my post to point out that the NEWS is what we can find readily on the internet as it is just news!

This is an issue faced by all print media these days, even the daily newspapers. I'd suggest that a quarterly magazine runs the risk of being more out of date than a weekly like the Star.

If it was everyweek then no...Monthly maybe...Quaterly like it is going to be this year YES!

If its quaterly im expecting a fair few pages worth, its 5 pound a copy if you subscribe which is what I have already done, if it less in the shops I will be disapointed.

Agree - I think quarterly is porbably about right, weekly it would be going head to head with the Star, which would be no good for either publication, and I could only see one winner.

HOPEFULLY quite soon. Have been working on it for a while now. Had one already to go, everything worked perfectly but was then informed that subs could only be paid for in US dollars. It is still our main goal right now but we are also revamping SS in the weeks ahead.

I'm another who would be keen on subscribing, i miss the Star but not enough to pay postage to NZ each week. I would think the issue with USD should be very easily resolvable, in fact I can't see how this issue would even come about?

That was what I noticed.

I think my Speedway Star is just over £100 for 52 issues. This proposed new magazine is £20 for just 4 issues.

So for a fifth of the money I'd only getting a thirteenth of the issues. Doesn't seem good value.

Clearly it would be a struggle to make any money on a quartrerly publication charged out at 8 quid for a year. There are overheads and set ups which need to be covered just the same whether there are 4 issues per year or 52 - but if you don't want it, dont buy it.

I think the best way to see how the publication is doing is count the number of ad pages in the second issue,. I know people complain about lots of ads, but for publications with a low circulation base, these often contribute more to the publications profitability than the circ revenue, and essentially "subsidise" the cost of the magazine (e.g. a 50 page mag with 10 pages of ads would need to charge far more than an 80 page mag with 30 pages of ads to break even).

I think the best way to see how the publication is doing is count the number of ad pages in the second issue,. I know people complain about lots of ads, but for publications with a low circulation base, these often contribute more to the publications profitability than the circ revenue, and essentially "subsidise" the cost of the magazine (e.g. a 50 page mag with 10 pages of ads would need to charge far more than an 80 page mag with 30 pages of ads to break even).

And more ads would drive greater pagination with consequent extra editorial, of course. Will be interesting to see how they fare. Back in the 80s, the general Sportsweek magazine was well-received, with good features and some superb photography. Not sufficiently well-received to survive, alas!

This is an issue faced by all print media these days, even the daily newspapers. I'd suggest that a quarterly magazine runs the risk of being more out of date than a weekly like the Star
They just need to avoid "news" and focus on interviews and articles that won't date.

I suspect not a lot of people have heard of it but I suspect 'Inside Speedway' are basing themselves on the success of the Blizzard.

The Blizzard is a quarterly football magazine which adopts a pay what you like policy. Most of it's readership is subs. It's very no frills i.e. very little adverts or glossy features, instead it concentrates on providing the very best journalism regards football. It almost allows a media where a journalist can go into great detail regards a subject. I'd say the articles are either historical, interviews or in depth investigations as opposed to 'news'.

Ultimately it's providing something different from what else is out there. They can not afford to publicily stock the magazine in newsagents etc. So it relies on word of mouth. The success is in the quality. If it's not very good, it will fail. If it's good, it may break about even and continue producing.

Edited by Hazzman

I suspect not a lot of people have heard of it but I suspect 'Inside Speedway' are basing themselves on the success of the Blizzard.

The Blizzard is a quarterly football magazine which adopts a pay what you like policy. Most of it's readership is subs. It's very no frills i.e. very little adverts or glossy features, instead it concentrates on providing the very best journalism regards football. It almost allows a media where a journalist can go into great detail regards a subject. I'd say the articles are either historical, interviews or in depth investigations as opposed to 'news'.

Ultimately it's providing something different from what else is out there. They can not afford to publicily stock the magazine in newsagents etc. So it relies on word of mouth. The success is in the quality. If it's not very good, it will fail. If it's good, it may break about even and continue producing.

Let's hope it is good then. :t:

HOPEFULLY quite soon. Have been working on it for a while now. Had one already to go, everything worked perfectly but was then informed that subs could only be paid for in US dollars. It is still our main goal right now but we are also revamping SS in the weeks ahead.

I have to say that an online version would for me be fantastic. In order for me to buy the speedway star I have to make a special trip out of the city into solihull. this doubles the price of the SS for me so I only do it when I am in solihull for other stuff or when there is something that particularly interests me. If it was online I would get it every week.

I have to say that an online version would for me be fantastic. In order for me to buy the speedway star I have to make a special trip out of the city into solihull. this doubles the price of the SS for me so I only do it when I am in solihull for other stuff or when there is something that particularly interests me. If it was online I would get it every week.

SUB will still be the cheapest way to buy ...

Will "Inside Speedway" be available at speedway tracks?

Will "Inside Speedway" be available at speedway tracks?

probably only once you've gone in through the turnstyles!!!!! :D

• Like 1