British Speedway Forum
Hunty

Inside Speedway Magazine

I have not read anything about this on these forums so just thought I'd start onne up to discuss.

Its a brand new Mag http://www.insidespeedway.co.uk/ and discription on the website states:

'For the past 6 years Speedway365 has been delivering the latest news and results to supporters in the UK. As with any business the natural progression is to expand, and through our parent company Yellow Pixel Media we have decided to bring a new product to the speedway world.

The idea behind the magazine is to bring an inside look into the sport to the mainstream and concentrate on different areas of the sport.

Our designers have opted for a premium feel that wouldn’t look out of place in your local newsagent along side other high-quality magazines from different sectors.

Inside Speedway Magazine is set to launch on April 1, 2013 and includes interviews with Tai Woffinden, Nicki Pedersen, Darcy Ward, Antonio Lindback, Scott Nicholls, Chris Harris, Peter Kildemand and many more. Along with interviews we have some talented writers who have penned a number of features.'

It then states that there will only be four issues this year:

'In 2013 we will be releasing four issues of Inside Speedway Magazine, out first comes out on April 1 with the second due to be released before World Cup week in July. The third issue will be released at the conclusion of the Grand Prix series while the final issue will be released at Christmas.'

Sounds good to me, I like a good read and the Star (edited for PHILIPRISING) releases news what we can find out on the internet anyway.

This sounds more in depth to riders and speedway I will subscribe!

Edited by Hunty

At last! A speedway magazine with a decent front cover!

• Like 1

HERE'S a challenge for you ... in this week's SS we have interviews with Armando Castagna, Mervyn Stewkesbury, Freddie Lindgren, Tomas Topinka, Ronnie Moore, features with Jack Knight and Louis Carr. Please show me where you can find that on the internet? And, incidentally, much more that is in Speedway Star.

If you don't like SS that's okay and your prerogative. But please do not suggest that SS simply publishes what is already available on the internet when we do not.

I completly understand, I do often purchase the SS but my point being is that some of the information in there is old news... by the time I purchase it!

Sorry, I have edited my post to point out that the NEWS is what we can find readily on the internet as it is just news!

This new Magazine looks modern and refreshing, also hopefully it will deliver a good Interviews and in-depth information (Just like the SS) but maybe in a modern way!

I see it's going to cost five quid a copy (including postage) - I wonder what people think about that?

I would like to ask Philip if there will ever be an online subscription version of Speedway Star?

• Like 1

I see it's going to cost five quid a copy (including postage) - I wonder what people think about that?

If it was everyweek then no...Monthly maybe...Quaterly like it is going to be this year YES!

If its quaterly im expecting a fair few pages worth, its 5 pound a copy if you subscribe which is what I have already done, if it less in the shops I will be disapointed.

I would like to ask Philip if there will ever be an online subscription version of Speedway Star?

Yes, that's good question - I would like to know that. I would definately subscribe if it were available in that format.

HOPEFULLY quite soon. Have been working on it for a while now. Had one already to go, everything worked perfectly but was then informed that subs could only be paid for in US dollars. It is still our main goal right now but we are also revamping SS in the weeks ahead.

• Like 5

We will see which one is going to be around next year then.

• Like 1

So it will be full of indepth interviews which we will get to see every 3 months for £5 a throw? Mmmm....??

Can't imagine what in-depth stuff will be revealed that isn't going to be already on social media etc?!

• Like 1

It has nothing to do whatsoever with the magazine, but I enjoy Speedway Star mostly nowadays if only for the features on old-time speedway, so why would I wish to even buy another magazine that panders to modern-day stars that don't even know what team they'll be lining up against that evening, never mind having anything of interest to say.

Had a thought the other day... speedway riders are simply agency workers not knowing where thier next job will take them.

The proposed new mag will probably end up consigned to history vaults of other good speedway ideas - Five-One, Speedway Now, Speedway Supporter etc. Mark these words.

• Like 2

Isnt it better than someone else has tried to do something different? If it ends up on the scrap heap then it will be a shame, but at least someones trying...

• Like 4

That was what I noticed.

I think my Speedway Star is just over £100 for 52 issues. This proposed new magazine is £20 for just 4 issues.

So for a fifth of the money I'd only getting a thirteenth of the issues. Doesn't seem good value.

Oh, and another good idea... what about the much shortlived "Skid" magazine from a few years ago... or was I just dreaming that one?

The current economic climate isn't ideal for starting any new venture, and I wish the new mag good luck and all that... but I'm out.

The Speedway Star has stood the test of time, it was like the VHS compared to other weeklies being Betamax. What else could be introduced into a magazine that Speedway Star hasn't already done (Angus Kix league could be a way forward), but for fellow researchers alike, there has been no better weekly product to store away and delve back into, from time to time, when you need to find out some gen. Even after forty years, some of the Angus Kix Glam League pics still look fine vintage as well. Would an interview magazine, like the new one, be more of a use once item?

Edited by moxey63
  • Like 1