British Speedway Forum
Papryk Ash

Mcs - Speedway Card Game

That game "Arcana" you mentioned @ 20 odd quid. I would suggest there's a very good reason why it's not available any more. Could it be that no one bought it cause it was too expensive?

Exactly. Not enough people would buy.

Maybe there is a small nerd market that would pay £18 for what amounts to nothing more than 100 printed cigarette cards, but it's a very small nerd market.

Some speedway folk moan at paying £2 for a 16 page matchday programme. They're not going to pay £18 for 100 cigarette cards.

They'd be better uploading the cards to the internet and charging 50p for people to print them off themselves and use.

Exactly. Not enough people would buy.

Maybe there is a small nerd market that would pay £18 for what amounts to nothing more than 100 printed cigarette cards, but it's a very small nerd market.

Some speedway folk moan at paying £2 for a 16 page matchday programme. They're not going to pay £18 for 100 cigarette cards.

They'd be better uploading the cards to the internet and charging 50p for people to print them off themselves and use.

Why post on something you clearly have absolutely no idea what you are talking about?

As for basing your analogy on Arcana.. its 'out of stock', which means all the copies have been sold from that supplier.

Its actually still in stock with many retailers and has shifted a vast number of copies worldwide, including the UK selling at anything between £22.99 and £27.99.

You are right though, speedway fans, as demonstrated by your good self and a couple of others are not the best target audience.. they're the kind of folk who are happy to pay £30 for a product that has some fancy pieces, an interactive dvd and a colorful board and probably some sort of celebrity tie-in.. play it twice at christmas and it never be used again (and not likely to be used as it's the same each time..)

Personally, I'd rather spend £18 on a game that can provide hours of entertainment and be replayed for years to come as many games of this nature can be.

Whether the mechanics of this game will allow that to be the case remains to be seen, but first impressions look favourable.

The UK is also one of the worst markets for this kind of game. Stores over here focus primarily on the dumbed down/celebrity type game as mentioned above which are all heavily overpriced and offer zero in terms of playability. Mainland Europe and the US its a completely different scenario.

So in essence, yes its going to be a difficult sell, simply due to a lack of knowledge in the UK of the product on offer.

It also astounds me how we complain and moan that the sport doesn't get exposure and yet when we get new products available the first thing some folk want to do is attack it and stamp it out as quickly as they can.. be it a new magazine, or a board game of this nature.

Its a game, its about speedway, I'd be willing to give it a chance and learn more about it even if I didn't already know how such games work.

• Like 6

Why post on something you clearly have absolutely no idea what you are talking about?

Why are you so aggressive? I've read his idea the same as you have. If his information gives me "absolutely no idea" then it's the same information that you're getting orgasmic about when you also have absolutely no idea either.

The guy asked for opinions on whether he'd be able to sell his Top Trumps style Speedway cigarette card game to Speedway fans.

Being a Speedway fan, I'm quite qualified to give an opinion.

And my opinion is that someone would have to be barking mad to buy 100 bits of printed card for £18. But maybe you'd buy it.

Why are you so aggressive? I've read his idea the same as you have. If his information gives me "absolutely no idea" then it's the same information that you're getting orgasmic about when you also have absolutely no idea either.

The guy asked for opinions on whether he'd be able to sell his Top Trumps style Speedway cigarette card game to Speedway fans.

And my opinion is that someone would have to be barking mad to buy 100 bits of printed card for £18. But maybe you'd buy it.

I'm not being aggressive. Simply asking why you are acting the fool?

If you had 'read' what he has posted you would know it is not a 'Top Trumps style' speedway game. That is something you have made up. Not an opinion, a made up theory of your own that others have explained to you is false, yet you continue to peddle it.

You tried to justify your claims by jumping on another game he mentioned (Arcana) and were shown to be incorrect again in your obervations.

Now you resort to someone being barking mad to buy 100 bits of printed card. One has to wonder if you have ever bought a dvd/cd? Barking mad to spend such money on a cheap piece of plastic. See how foolish you sound now? Probably not...

If you wish to offer an opinion, that's all well and good. However, you've peddled the same tripe about Top Trumps now on numerous posts despite being informed by others that there is no correlation between the two.

Give up on the trolling.

Edited by BWitcher
  • Like 2

To be fair you're way off the mark, MCS approached me to stock the game in Speedwaystore, the game is far more than 'top trumps' and looks like it's had a lot of time spent on it.

You have the right to an opinion of course but there's no need to belittle the product.

Edited by obrien48
  • Like 2

I regularly play and purchase card based games such as this. Munchkin, Red Shirts, Chez Geek etc are all similarly priced to this product. You're paying for the playability and replay value, the concept, the artwork and so on. In gaming terms £18 is at the higher end; but not extortionate.

Exactly. It's like the old rule of thumb for buying clothes: £1 per wear. If you spend £200 on a jacket (not that I ever do), love it and wear it incessantly then it's good value. Likewise with the £2 T-shirt you stick on when painting the house and only put on a few times.

I've bought my share of duff games (usually speculative cheap purchases in charity shops) but have had many, many hours of pleasure from the ones I like.

Perhaps we need a BSPA rule: "In the event of a rain-off, the referee will produce his official copy of MCS and invite the two captains to step forward..." :P

Actually not as daft as some of the rules already in there...

I still don't get it.

clearly

you never buy a book? Amazing that some people would pay decent money for what is just printed paper. The publishers would be better off putting a pdf up on the net and charging people 50p to print it off. Pass on that business model to to JK Rowling, I'm sure she'll be very grateful...

I've read his idea the same as you have. If his information gives me "absolutely no idea" then it's the same information that you're getting orgasmic about when you also have absolutely no idea either.

Perhaps it says more about your ability to interpret information? If you think the game shown here is anything like Top Trumps then I can only take it that either a) you have no idea what Top Trumps is or B) you are not very bright or c) both

I remember as a kid my favourite board game was Speedway Scene, I played that for hours, and that consisted of a laminated carboard board, about 50 "grading cards", three dice and four counters.

The likes of top selling board games like Risk hardly have a lot in the way of sophisticated pieces - some cardboard and some mass produced plastic figures.

Agree though that this is very much a niche product - i would think online would be the way to sell, perhaps a few copies in trackshops/games shops also. Advertising in likes of speedway star and online (targeting say facebook users who "like" particular speedwa groups).

I think if the game is godd enough the target market would have no issue paying 15-20 quid.

I think they should have speedway monopoly "you hit a slick patch, go back three squares" or "Darcy ward passes you, you are out of the game" :-)

Hello everybody

I am writing to let you know about a speedway card game called MCS (Moto-Craze Speedway) that we are about to release for Polish and (hopefully) English markets. The game consists of 110 cards and is a fast-paced simulation that allows 2 or 4 players play a full-fledged speedway meeting within just 40 minutes. It's been designed by a long-time speedway fan, thus contains all elements of speedway races (i.e. gating, charging, engine failures, falls). There is a low level of randomness (no dice involved - the game is more concerned with planning your strategy and making decisions) and high replay value. The game set-up looks more or less like that.

I think it must have a Frank Ebdon referee card included. :lol:

• Like 2

And my opinion is that someone would have to be barking mad to buy 100 bits of printed card for £18.

It's clear from the overview posted earlier that there is rather more to it; however, that's your view and fair enough.

But you, presumably, have leisure interests on which you're prepared to pay £18, be they books, music, cinema tickets, theatre, concerts -- or, indeed, admission to speedway matches -- and regard the return in terms of entertainment as well worth the outlay. Board/card gamers are no different.

you never buy a book? Amazing that some people would pay decent money for what is just printed paper.

You mean you'd pay £18 for a book with just 100 small pages and half a dozen words on each page?

I might buy a book for about a tenner with 50,000 words if it was a subject of interest.

I could buy a pack of playing cards that could be used for poker, bridge, cribbage, whist, and hundreds of other games, and I'd expect to pay £2 or £3 for them.

I certainly wouldn't pay £18 for a pack of cards and get all orgasmic about it just because they had a picture of speedway printed on them.

I hope the poor sod who started this thread looks sensibly at his costings. If he starts producing thousands of packs of these cards expecting to sell them at an uneconomical price of £18 as people are encouraging him to do, then he could end up losing a lot of money.

Card games? Seriously? People complain that speedway is in the dark ages with too many old people and rightly so, but what hope is there when a card game of a sport like speedway is considered entertainment?

You mean you'd pay £18 for a book with just 100 small pages and half a dozen words on each page?

I might buy a book for about a tenner with 50,000 words if it was a subject of interest.

I could buy a pack of playing cards that could be used for poker, bridge, cribbage, whist, and hundreds of other games, and I'd expect to pay £2 or £3 for them.

I certainly wouldn't pay £18 for a pack of cards and get all orgasmic about it just because they had a picture of speedway printed on them.

I hope the poor sod who started this thread looks sensibly at his costings. If he starts producing thousands of packs of these cards expecting to sell them at an uneconomical price of £18 as people are encouraging him to do, then he could end up losing a lot of money.

Clearly there is little point in explaining things to you as you either don't read what is posted, or blatantly ignore it and post the same thing over and over.

Yes, some posters on here have expressed a general interest and a desire to take a look at the game and see what it's like. Just as you put it. :rolleyes:

Card games? Seriously? People complain that speedway is in the dark ages with too many old people and rightly so, but what hope is there when a card game of a sport like speedway is considered entertainment?

Don't know. Perhaps I'll buy a copy and see what the wave of students and 20-somethings who attend games sessions think of it.

Edited by Fourentee

I think they should have speedway monopoly "you hit a slick patch, go back three squares" or "Darcy ward passes you, you are out of the game" :-)

Completely ludicrous notion! Monopoly is all about one person building an empire and stripping everyone else of their cash. What's that got to do with speedway? :lol:

Building houses and hotels on tracks is pretty realistic I grant you...

• Like 2