British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Main Man

Coventry Open Practice Sun March 24th ---off Due To Weather . Next One Sun 21st April

Good day's training --well done to one and all. Here's to wishing young Mitchell Beckett a swift recovery from his hand injry.

Good day's training --well done to one and all. Here's to wishing young Mitchell Beckett a swift recovery from his hand injry.

Indeed. Two points, though; first, the queue kept retreating back until it was in the pits. Couldn't someone get the riders to move up? Second, couldn't you have told us that there was going to be a lunch break? :o

Otherwise, my protege had a mixed day; two very good rides in which he slid the bike well, one where his steel shoe came off (we laughed as he kicked it across the centre gravel), a visit to the air fence and the chain coming off!

Thanks for the session.

Some good news and some bad regarding Mitchell. He has broken a metacarpal bone in his hand but has got away with having a cast on so no op needed. Also he is going to miss at least the first 2 rounds of the British Youth Championship

Indeed. Two points, though; first, the queue kept retreating back until it was in the pits. Couldn't someone get the riders to move up? Second, couldn't you have told us that there was going to be a lunch break? :o

Otherwise, my protege had a mixed day; two very good rides in which he slid the bike well, one where his steel shoe came off (we laughed as he kicked it across the centre gravel), a visit to the air fence and the chain coming off!

Thanks for the session.

JJ --my biggest problem was not having enough volunteers to help (and a BIG Thank You to those who did step forward to help) >> I was trying to be in three places at once and at the end had to take the red flag on the centre as Dan Gilkes' mum had to leave after Dan blew an engine .

It was the first one I had done at Coventry and although it all went well and everyone was pleased there were certain areas I now know I have to plug and improve on. The queue bit will be sorted with the barriers moved further down next time .

And what lunch break -it wasn't planned !!! My flag marshalls all went to get a cup of tea and a quick comfort break whilst the track was watered but when I got them back I suddenly realised the medical staff had gone for theirs too!!

Bad news on young Mitchell ---- get well soon young man>>>>>and well done for not making a fuss despite clearly being in pain after your crash!

I thought organisation was excellent, could move the queue a bit but also important to give riders room to get bikes started and be ready to go out as soon as last group finish to keep the flow going. With 40ish riders the pits were always going to be on the busy side but other tracks that have had similar numbers have not had the space to cope as well as Coventry did so the queue was not that big a problem. Most folks seemed to get enough rides and Ron kept the pits area safe and the tea shop and spares van were a bonus. There might be a view to run 30 mins longer and have a pre determined lunch break as 4 hours stood in the middle is not that fair to volunteers, plus perhaps red flag going out on back straight and then riders have 3/4 lap to slow down and come in which allows the next group onto the track as the previous group is slowing down to speed change overs a bit? Still little things against an excellent first attempt.