British Speedway Forum
Phil The Ace

Ryan Sullivan Retires

This taken from speedwaygp.com

Former world No.3 Ryan Sullivan has announced his retirement on the eve of the season.

The former Australian international made the decision as he continues to struggle with the broken hand, which left him barely able to complete the 2013 season.

Sullivan is believed to have been involved in a contract dispute with his Polish club Torun, where he has spent 10 seasons in three separate spells since 1996.

The former Peterborough and Poole favourite’s retirement means Torun stars Chris Holder, Tomasz Gollob, Darcy Ward and Adrian Miedzinski will all be guaranteed places in the starting seven this term and won’t have to fight for their places.

"After 28 years of being so deeply involved in the sport, it is an extremely difficult decision to walk away from something that has been my life and passion all these years."

- Ryan Sullivan

In a statement to Torun’s local newspaper, Gazeta Pomorska, Sullivan said: “Due to the significant hand pain from the crash last September which saw me sustain several broken metacarpal bones, I feel there is nothing more I can do but end my career in speedway at this time.

“The club was informed at the end of January that I cannot get permission to race from the Australian federation of sports medicine unless my doctor gives me a certificate to continue running, as is the case with every rider applying for a speedway licence.

“On March 9, I sent the information to the club that I will not be able to race speedway in the near future because of my injury.”

Sullivan denies his retirement was down to a contract row with the club and concerns over planned Ekstraliga rule changes, forcing riders to take out compulsory insurance policies to cover them and their teams in case they are sidelined.

He added: “Referring to other press reports about my contract talks with the club, I would like to point out that not made any representation or personally spoken out on this issue.

“All information is derived only from one side. I do not agree with the new rules and regulations introduced by the Ekstraliga, but it is now of no great importance.

“I am disappointed with the attitude of the club in this situation. One thing is certain, I did not plan this and the circumstances, which led to the current state of affairs, took all my passion for speedway.”

Sullivan admits Torun retains a special place in his affections as he plans his new life Down Under.

He said: “After 28 years of being so deeply involved in the sport, it is an extremely difficult decision to walk away from something that has been my life and passion all these years.

“Torun will always be a special place for me because I lived there a few years and I've got many friends there. My wife and her family are from there, so there is no doubt that we'll be back sometime in the future. Now it's time for new challenges and, with my wonderful family, I will soon move to Australia.

“In the course of my career, there are a lot of people to whom I owe very much and saying ‘thank you’ seems to be insufficient.

“Jacek Gajewski brought me into Poland in 1996 and since then we have been good friends. Andrzej Gajek was my first sponsor in Poland and helped me in many different ways over the years.

“My mechanic Pawel (Runowski) worked for me for 10 years and there is no-one better than him. I would like to thank all the fans in Torun for supporting me in my achievements over 10 years of racing for the team. I also thank the fans of Czestochowa, where I raced for six years.”

All the best in your future endeavours Ryan

What a rider Sullivan was in his prime... Still a class act on the continent now although finds the small tracks a bit tricky.

One of my favorite riders. Good luck in your retirement Ryan

Thanks Ryan.... That heat 15 with Hans 2006 . I will never forget.

All the best for the future in whatever you choose to do, lets hope you are not lost to the sport, take over from Kelvin ?

Good luck Ryan, very entertaining rider over the years.

You chaps have made me want to see this heat 15 from 2006, is it online anywhere?

Sad news this - I really rated Ryan as a class act.

Best wishes to him for the future and I hope he isn't lost to Speedway altogether.

Makes you wonder if Poland and UK had offered him contracts whether he would have wanted to continue.

That said it is always sad when a rider is forced to retire through injury.

I wish Ryan well, was never a favourite rider of mine, but i wish him all the best in his retirement.

• Like 1

Bit more info from PET:

Published on 20/03/2013 07:15

Retiring legend Ryan Sullivan insists helping Panthers to Elite League glory is one of the fondest memories of his sparkling speedway career.Hand injuries sustained in a crash while riding for the city club last year have forced the Australian ace - a former world number three and double World Cup winner - to hang up his kevlars.

The 38 year-old is the all-time Peterborough great, racking up a stunning 4,352.5 points over four spells in red and black.

Sullivan starred for Panthers as they won the top-flight title in 1999 and 2006 but it is the second of those triumphs that really sticks in his mind along with a British Grand Prix triumph at the Millennium Stadium back in 2002.

He said: “Winning the last two races of the Grand Final to help Peterborough to the title in 2006 is a stand-out memory.

“We looked down and out but came roaring back to beat Reading and it was great to be a part of such a dramatic success.

“Winning the British GP in Cardiff is another of the great memories that will stay with me throughout my life.

“I made the worst start in the final and had to come through from the back to win it the hard way.

“I’ve been lucky enough to enjoy a very good career and I’m happy with everything I have achieved.”

Sullivan announced his retirement earlier this week and revealed it was a difficult decision to make.

But he admits he couldn’t risk continuing his racing career due to concerns over the hand damage suffered in a smash at Belle Vue last September.

Now he is determined to look forward to a new chapter in his life as he prepares to move his family back to his native Australia, but he has promised to pay a few visits to the East of England Showground before heading back Down Under.

Sullivan added: “My hand isn’t causing me a problem in everyday life, but it is not up to the strain of riding.

“I didn’t want to put myself in a position where I was taking uneccessary risks by carrying on racing.

“It hasn’t been easy to come to terms with the fact that I have raced my last race but now it is time to look forward to a new challenge in life even though I don’t want that will be at this stage.

“My wife, my son and I are making plans to return to Australia but I’m sure I’ll take in a few meetings at Peterborough while we’re still in England.

“I had a text from Jan Staechmann saying I’m welcome to come along and pop into the pits, so I may well take him up on that.

“Managing or promoting in speedway is something I’ve really given any thought to, but I may well see if I can pick up any valuable pointers from Jan.”

I have many happy memories of seeing flying Ryan blasting his way round Peterborough,sad we will never see that again.