British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Matt Davis

Gp Rider Sponsorship

One observation I made from the NZ GP was that most riders seem have bare patches on their kevlars and bike covers, in particulaur Tai Woffinden. Even the likes of Gollob, Ward etc had spaces for sponsors.

Is interest weening in the GPs or is money just tight everywhere?

Money is tight probably!!! Let's hope the economy doesn't affect British speedway too much this year!!!!

Just a stab in the dark really,but would it be down to some new rule in Poland that riders are not allowed anything other than team sponsors displayed????Haven't followed it all that thoroughly,but thought there was some trouble about this and don't know just how many sets of kevlars these guys have

Also all three poles wearing their swc kevs

They were not similar suits, makes you wonder.

I bet it's down to money. If emil wants 50k for his thigh and no-one wants to pay, he leaves it empty. Which is daft, since my first reaction is that his manager should be sacked for not doing his job over the winter.

EDIT: 1 logo by KW on a suit is 40 zlotys... Poor Emil... Cant find enough money to fill his own suit.

Edited by f-s-p

Is interest weening in the GPs or is money just tight everywhere?

When you look at the thin pickings the actual series attracts in sponsorship compared to what it had a few years back I would say it's a bit of both.

the NZ GP had no sponsor as it was the guy running the show who picked that up.

Mostly destinations and minor companies with a heavy Polish bias.

Who knows what Monster are actually investing in the sport in terms of hard cash as opposed to just giving the sport a higher profile.

This will be reflected down to what the riders themselves can conjour up.

TV coverage does not attract sponsorship fpr speedway and we know this from the Elite League here in the UK which has never attracted one sponsor for its league even with TV coverage which was of the highest order courtesy of SKY.

There must be a systemic flaw in speedway as even minor sports like Bowls have taken advantage of TV coverage with regards major sponsorship opportunities.

I think the GP one of the best ideas speedway has had but it's never seemed to realise it's potential in terms of crowds or attracting money into the sport that can then filter down to the grassroots as in most sports that embrace TV.

Edited by pandorum

I was wondering if it's time that FIM/GPs started to speculate in regards to national media coverage for instance could they pay TalkSport a sum to guarantee the results are mentioned over the weekend and monday mornings?

Surely, with some national coverage such as this they would be able to recoup it with a few new sponsors? Perhaps the results segment could be sponsored to help pay for this.

Just extend the SGPs into the Far East - China, Malaysia etc - and watch the sponsors roll in!!!

I thought it was a rule made by their governing body?

When you look at the thin pickings the actual series attracts in sponsorship compared to what it had a few years back I would say it's a bit of both.

the NZ GP had no sponsor as it was the guy running the show who picked that up.

Mostly destinations and minor companies with a heavy Polish bias.

Who knows what Monster are actually investing in the sport in terms of hard cash as opposed to just giving the sport a higher profile.

This will be reflected down to what the riders themselves can conjour up.

TV coverage does not attract sponsorship fpr speedway and we know this from the Elite League here in the UK which has never attracted one sponsor for its league even with TV coverage which was of the highest order courtesy of SKY.

There must be a systemic flaw in speedway as even minor sports like Bowls have taken advantage of TV coverage with regards major sponsorship opportunities.

I think the GP one of the best ideas speedway has had but it's never seemed to realise it's potential in terms of crowds or attracting money into the sport that can then filter down to the grassroots as in most sports that embrace TV.

Agree with what you say. BSI used to be a good company to deal with but not lately. Could be the reason sponsors have gone. We could be involved this year as timing sponsor and take on a few gp but but not after Sweden. Have given the money to charity and helped one english lad in speedway.Think you will find past sponsors have been taken for granted got less and less for their money and the service has gone done hill since the old bsi days. Still a great series to watch and as you say a good product but beter off leaving it there and not getting to involved commercial.

Riders i think are feeling the pinch to, was approached by quite a few for gp and elite but same again really. take you for granted and want to do very little for the money. Plus side you can pick top riders up for very little cash if you want to.

Agree with what you say. BSI used to be a good company to deal with but not lately. Could be the reason sponsors have gone. We could be involved this year as timing sponsor and take on a few gp but but not after Sweden. Have given the money to charity and helped one english lad in speedway.Think you will find past sponsors have been taken for granted got less and less for their money and the service has gone done hill since the old bsi days. Still a great series to watch and as you say a good product but beter off leaving it there and not getting to involved commercial.

Riders i think are feeling the pinch to, was approached by quite a few for gp and elite but same again really. take you for granted and want to do very little for the money. Plus side you can pick top riders up for very little cash if you want to.

Didn't think Kyle was a charity case - but well done anyway. His bikes looked very well turned out yesterday at Poole> :t:

Didn't think Kyle was a charity case - but well done anyway. His bikes looked very well turned out yesterday at Poole> :t:

I didnt mean he is a charity, i meant we have given money to charitys this year and helped Kyle a little as well ;) i find it far more rewarding helping those who need it rather than the speedway gravey train :D

• Like 1

.Think you will find past sponsors have been taken for granted got less and less for their money and the service has gone done hill since the old bsi days. Still a great series to watch and as you say a good product but beter off leaving it there and not getting to involved commercial.

What do you expect from a rider for your sponsorship money ? I'm sure you will keep values private but interesting to know what you expect in return.

Them to uphold they part of the contract as we do and honesty. Two things which dont seem to go hand in hand with speedway in any shape or form.