British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
screm

Glasgow V Berwick 7 April

Great gesture from the new Glasgow promotion.

Berwick Speedway Supporters’ Club has received a tremendous gesture from the new promotion at Glasgow.

The Tigers’ bosses have offered to pay for the bus to Ashfield, which means supporters can now travel through to the west for free to support the Bandits on Sunday.

The teams are due to meet twice this weekend - at Shielfield on Saturday and Ashfield on Sunday afternoo - in the new League Cup competition.

Supporters’ Club spokesman Lisa Youngman said: “This is a tremendous gesture from the new Glasgow management and we would like to thank them very much for offering to pay for the bus.

Anyone who would like to take up the offer is asked to contact Lisa on 07773759864.

The new promotion are certainly putting a lot of effort! Hope the Berwick fans take up the offer!

I am looking forward to seeing the new team and the improvements to the facilities!

It's a difficult one to call! Joe and James should both be in the points, hopefully JW and Henning will perform to the standards we know they can achieve! The 3 unknowns well anything could happen! Hopefully more Josh/Nick than Mitchell/Micheal!

• Like 1

Great gesture from the new Glasgow promotion.

Berwick Speedway Supporters’ Club has received a tremendous gesture from the new promotion at Glasgow.

The Tigers’ bosses have offered to pay for the bus to Ashfield, which means supporters can now travel through to the west for free to support the Bandits on Sunday.

The teams are due to meet twice this weekend - at Shielfield on Saturday and Ashfield on Sunday afternoo - in the new League Cup competition.

Supporters’ Club spokesman Lisa Youngman said: “This is a tremendous gesture from the new Glasgow management and we would like to thank them very much for offering to pay for the bus.

Anyone who would like to take up the offer is asked to contact Lisa on 07773759864.

Probably a return thank you for three Tigers riders getting practice time at Berwick last weekend?

What a great idea!

I really hope this is just the start in the three promotions working closer together for the overall good of the sport!

Top class!

• Like 2

Probably a return thank you for three Tigers riders getting practice time at Berwick last weekend?

May even be the other way around?

They may off given them a practise to run their eye over them to see if they fancy claiming one as an asset? ;)

• Like 6

Running free buses to each others' meetings could be a really great idea.

I like it.

Hopefully the bus is full when it leaves berwick for all the ones who love a beer on a sunday well how about a wee bus trip over to glasgow and support your team speedway,beer and check out what the changes are to track and facilities. Our first meeting should have been the monarchs who we would have pumped and now its the bmx bandits turn to get turned over at ashfield cant wait hope too see yous there weeping on the 4 bend.

Hopefully the bus is full when it leaves berwick for all the ones who love a beer on a sunday well how about a wee bus trip over to glasgow and support your team speedway,beer and check out what the changes are to track and facilities. Our first meeting should have been the monarchs who we would have pumped and now its the bmx bandits turn to get turned over at ashfield cant wait hope too see yous there weeping on the 4 bend.

I fancy a Berwick victory in this one.We will never have a better chance IMO.
  • Like 1

Running free buses to each others' meetings could be a really great idea.

I like it.

Not so sure that it could happen every time,but this is certainly a great gesture from the Glasgow promotion.Maybe,where theres a meeting back to back as in this case,a voucher could be handed over at at the first meeting that would get reduced admission in the return meeting,Edinburgh friday Berwick saturday,Berwick saturday Newcastle sunday etc.

I fancy a Berwick victory in this one.We will never have a better chance IMO.

Tend to agree we are unknown as to how the new boy's will perform and with little or no track time for our guy's apart from our usual opening season drubbing at Armadale on Friday and Berwick Saturday it may well be the case who know's

Or am i being to Defeatist ;)

They may off given them a practise to run their eye over them to see if they fancy claiming one as an asset? ;)

Possibly at this rate the Bandito's are going to have more assets than the Royal Bank of Scotland :lol:

• Like 1

Great The Tigers’ bosses have offered to pay for the bus to Ashfield
Ah, but what about the 'bus from Ashfield'? ;)

What a splendid gesture.

Would be a great sponsorship opportunity for a company to do this regularly for any team.

Many years ago I believe somebody sponsored 6 coaches to the CLRC to (and from) Hoddeston for Rebels supporters.

Persuaded Willowwoman to go on our wedding anniversary. I sure know how to treat a lady!

• Like 2

Berwick Bandits centre-green presenter Dick Barrie is to hang up his microphone after 40 years.

The veteran self-confessed ‘motormouth’ plans to gradually ease his way out of his role at Shielfield, although he still plans to follow his beloved Bandits on their exploits around the country.

“The main difference will be that I don’t have to commit myself to every Saturday night if I don’t want to,” he said.

“I will still come and support the guys and it will be nice to be on the other side of the fence, so to speak.”

Barrie, often controversial, has a wealth of speedway knowledge, having been in the business for over 40 years, but he says the time is now right to step away, and he will gradually be easing himself out over the next few weeks, helping pave the way for his successor, local DJ Steve Hayward.

“While I will always enjoy being part of our ‘presentation team’, the relentless weekly same-old, same-old grind at the end of a 240-mile round-trip was getting harder and harder and I’m really happy to know Steve will largely be able to take over the infield role,” he said.

“I have been asked to help and guide him into certain aspects of the job over the next few weeks.”

Never been Dick Barries biggest fan but he will be a miss on a saturday night at Berwick.

Sorry about the size of the writing but you get the jist.

Edited by screm

Berwick Bandits centre-green presenter Dick Barrie is to hang up his microphone after 40 years.

The veteran self-confessed ‘motormouth’ plans to gradually ease his way out of his role at Shielfield, although he still plans to follow his beloved Bandits on their exploits around the country.

“The main difference will be that I don’t have to commit myself to every Saturday night if I don’t want to,” he said.

“I will still come and support the guys and it will be nice to be on the other side of the fence, so to speak.”

Barrie, often controversial, has a wealth of speedway knowledge, having been in the business for over 40 years, but he says the time is now right to step away, and he will gradually be easing himself out over the next few weeks, helping pave the way for his successor, local DJ Steve Hayward.

“While I will always enjoy being part of our ‘presentation team’, the relentless weekly same-old, same-old grind at the end of a 240-mile round-trip was getting harder and harder and I’m really happy to know Steve will largely be able to take over the infield role,” he said.

“I have been asked to help and guide him into certain aspects of the job over the next few weeks.”

Never been Dick Barries biggest fan but he will be a miss on a saturday night at Berwick.

Sorry about the size of the writing but you get the jist.

Is that the first time you've had to apologise about the size?

Everyone retires in time, and Dick appears to be doing so gracefully.

As was quoted in Saturday's programme, he'll be back when Steve Hayward is on holiday, as well as (I imagine) at meetings such as the World U-21 Final.

I can think of two regulars on here who will be delighted. From everyone else, thanks Dick!

• Like 1