British Speedway Forum
RebelRebel

Somerset Vs Ipswich Pl 5/4/13 7:30

A point from tonight could be realistic, looking at last years results Makinen scored 5 from 5 rides the first time he went there, and sadly got 0 from 4 in the play-off, so more of what he did in the first meeting will go a long way but it is early days. For me the 2 key riders for tonight are Leigh and Adam if they can score n get stuck in, a point isn't out of reach. But going with a single big hitter/number 1 was always going to leave the middle order vulnerable away from home.

we're all entitled to an opinion as i can totally see where yourself and Aljack are coming from, but i just see it differently.

Regards Tom

Regarding Jari`s 5 from 5 he was on the end of three 5-1`s, he beat Tom Perry, and collected a point when Doyle fell.

Regarding Jari`s 5 from 5 he was on the end of three 5-1`s, he beat Tom Perry, and collected a point when Doyle fell.

my point was that he didn't run a last, and surely thats the aim of speedway.

my point was that he didn't run a last, and surely thats the aim of speedway.

Not in 1-5 results though - it may as well be a last, especially three in one match, which is obviously a net -12 deficit.

It's clear though that if Makinen doesn't get going quickly, then the fans will be calling for a change.

I'd like to think the Sackers Witches can do enough to get a point tonight, but the Rabbles are clear favourites - not just for this match but for the PL.

Well another night when the Witches were made to looked second rate by their opponents in another hammering by 57 -37. Makinen is already looking a total liability with ONE point out of 30 and add to that Ellis total lack of experience this is already looking a pretty weak Witches team as Barker is looking anything but an out and out no1. Risager admitting he is using last seasons knackered engines. Will CL make changes :blink: ? well will we see flying pigs?

One of the best meetings I've seen around the OTA in a couple of years! I hate using cliches but the scoreline really wasn't a fair reflection on the meeting. Some superb races with lots of passing, a couple of nasty looking crashes but thankfully everyone's okay. Only black spot of the meeting was Barker acting like a giant gentleman's sausage, thought he would have grown out of that but oh well.

What do Ipswich do to their number 1s? I've seen Barker ride a hell of a lot over the past few years and I can never recall him as poor as that, even going back to his Stoke days. Some desperate riding and just completely out paced and never looking upto it. Likewise Lanham, normally scores pretty well at the Oak Tree but looked like a wobbly second halfer out there tonight, poor showing from him. I thought this Ellis guy was meant to be averaging nearly 6 people predicted pre season, not a chance on that showing. A long way off Premier League standard it seems. The only Witches rider to come away with any credit was Tungate, who at least looked half up for it. A poor poor showing overall from the Witches though.

Meanwhile on the other side of the pits, Doyle untouchable, Davies looking stunning as was Grajczonek after his opening ride and Morris as entertaining as ever. A good team performance all round, with Nielsen impressing massively also.

On another issue, whose bright idea was it to park cars 3 deep in the car park?

Edited by Najjer

Bit of a thumping for the Witches that,Somerset really do look the team to beat this year,at least it it's saving Louis a few quick on his bonus points;-)

The Witches team has been built to rely on Barker banging in 13-15pts every meeting, and you can see the result when he fails to do that. Looks a mid table side to me, unless changes are made if certain riders don't improve.

Changes? Seriously? This is Ipswich lol. Yes changes will be made, but as always too late when no chance of winning anything. Having said all that let's not forget that Somerset have a very good team and look good again like the last few seasons, title contenders.

Edited by Baldyman

Well another night when the Witches were made to looked second rate by their opponents in another hammering by 57 -37. Makinen is already looking a total liability with ONE point out of 30 and add to that Ellis total lack of experience this is already looking a pretty weak Witches team as Barker is looking anything but an out and out no1. Risager admitting he is using last seasons knackered engines. Will CL make changes :blink: ? well will we see flying pigs?

Riders often use the same engines as the previous year. Just make some alterations, and parts are regularly replaced during a service.

It's a shame you weren't there, Aljack, you would've loved Risager blast around the outside of everyone in heat 3! ;)

To be fair to Makinen, he did score. It was a genuine point aswell. Progress! He was challenging for a point in one of his other heats aswell.

But when he was outgated, he was nowhere near the action. His signing always did appear a case of him having the right average.

The Ipswich side looks to be a very mediocre one at the moment. Ellis will take time but whilst he's "getting there" they need the rest to chip in with the points, which doesn't look like happening. Tungate, Risager, Lanham will all have great rides, and some fine meetings along the way, but as a trio, they are a little unreliable.

Lanham can go from getting crucified in one heat, then lead Doyle for almost 3 laps in the next one. Risager can easily do the exact opposite. It's a strange side.

Has mid-table written all over it at the moment. But it is still early season - someone somewhere can find some form, which can quickly turn things around.

The OTA has changed so much since I last visited! It's like a new place. Impressive setup they have done there. Nice sausages aswell.

But it is not a warm place to enjoy Speedway, sadly.

Somerset Speedway can be freezing when all around is balmy.

Good win for the Rebels

Could this be the year Somerset turn a great looking side into league title winners? They appear the stand out side to me. Worth noting that riders like Ellis, Kerr, Jacobs etc will score much better IMO once the NL season starts and they are riding regularly and winning races.

• Like 1