British Speedway Forum
RebelRebel

Somerset Vs Ipswich Pl 5/4/13 7:30

A very disappointing scoreline for the Witches.

This early in the season though it is not a disaster and Ive no doubt that the effort is there to put things right.

Well done to the Rebels who look the real deal this year.

Only black spot of the meeting was Barker acting like a giant gentleman's sausage, thought he would have grown out of that but oh well.

Yes, and how many years have we seen this. If things don't go his way, as they haven't so far this season in either league, this what you can expect from him. Looks like another fine for him! ;)

Meanwhile on the other side of the pits, Doyle untouchable,

That man has eyes in the back of his head! He stops runs to protect his team mate and cut the opposition charge off at source, makes up for poor starts by using lines others have yet to find, makes powerful but fair charges up the inside to power past and is just mighty quick. No wonder all fans look forward to seeing him race. Thankfully it is for us.

Having said all that let's not forget that Somerset have a very good team

But I thought Ipswich had too! An all out #1, good heat leader backup, 2nd strings with potential and super reserves?

The OTA has changed so much since I last visited! It's like a new place. Impressive setup they have done there. .....

But it is not a warm place to enjoy Speedway, sadly.

Not bad for a track in a field. Glad you enjoyed your visit. We feel very priviledged to follow such a motivated promotion. Nothing stands still at Somerset. Air fence next! It is not too warm everywhere at the moment. Very chilly with an easterly wind. Glorious in the summer in the Westcountry though. Come back the Jetstream -- all is forgiven.

Could this be the year Somerset turn a great looking side into league title winners? They appear the stand out side to me.

Newcastle?

I have to say it was encouraging to see Josh and Stefan going so well. I am led to believe that Josh has been doing second halves to get some laps in. Very professional. Well it certainly paid off. Very unlucky in his first ride.

It looked like Kyle was having bike troubles as Doyley came out for a test spin on his bike after the meeting.

As has been said already a very entertaining meeting with lots of passing by the Rebels.

Rebels look a class above the Witches, apart from Barker the rest are second strings, even Lanham will struggle. A double figure win for the Rebels.

SPOT ON!!!

Barker remarked when interviewed in the club house, that "track was slick, if they had put some shale on the track he could have done passing", he continued, "never mind if they want to keep it slick that's fine, I will come with different engine next time." Ex Rebel andEexeter rider Graham Gordon also had a chat, Josh won rider of the night.

Poor perfomance by the Ref who pressed the wrong button and let tapes go resulting in false start, and must have been looking the other way when given second place to tactical ride Tungate when actually (for some inexplicable reason) Heaps passed him into second place just before the line.

A good meeting plenty of passing, Morris entertaining by missing the gate and impressed by Nielsen whoi looks a useful reserve, but oh dear the presentation is still lacking, can we please get someone to do the music and just a few jingles and turn the volume up just a bit, please!.

SPOT ON!!!

Barker remarked when interviewed in the club house, that "track was slick, if they had put some shale on the track he could have done passing", he continued, "never mind if they want to keep it slick that's fine, I will come with different engine next time." Ex Rebel andEexeter rider Graham Gordon also had a chat, Josh won rider of the night.

Poor perfomance by the Ref who pressed the wrong button and let tapes go resulting in false start, and must have been looking the other way when given second place to tactical ride Tungate when actually (for some inexplicable reason) Heaps passed him into second place just before the line.

A good meeting plenty of passing, Morris entertaining by missing the gate and impressed by Nielsen whoi looks a useful reserve, but oh dear the presentation is still lacking, can we please get someone to do the music and just a few jingles and turn the volume up just a bit, please!.

Oh bad luck OT mate, you nearly made it,I enjoyed reading your post until you had to ruin it at the end with your usual gripe.I`m so pleased the Rebs have made such a positive start ,and am even more gutted I won`t be there tonight for what I think will be a cracker at Rye. Just hope the track is ok after last weeks carry on,I would hate us to lose a rider because of track conditions.

33 points (+4 artificial joker points) is a poor effort by the Witches.

It's easy to say they are rusty, but Somerset also have only had a couple of matches.

I don't think Ipswich fans will be as tolerant as they have been in recent years.

Sorry to say it looks like another long arduous season coming up for the long suffering Witches fans but will changes be made to an obviously under strength team, I for one very much doubt it until its to late to make any difference as that has always been the way of things that happen at foxhall. Real shame we are talking like this after only 3 matches as the Witches look destined for a lower half finish yet again :sad:

What I don't ever understand is why the majority of none wearing rose tinted glasses fans can tell that the team isn't exactly great, those that put it together think some of the riders are good enough, when we clearly knew they are not. Where some teams like Somerset always seem to somehow put together some very good teams year after year.

• Like 1

Oh bad luck OT mate, you nearly made it,I enjoyed reading your post until you had to ruin it at the end with your usual gripe.I`m so pleased the Rebs have made such a positive start ,and am even more gutted I won`t be there tonight for what I think will be a cracker at Rye. Just hope the track is ok after last weeks carry on,I would hate us to lose a rider because of track conditions.

He isn't kidding though Cliffe - the presentation music wise seems to be worse than ever, the same rubbish music played over an awful sound system.

• Like 1

He isn't kidding though Cliffe - the presentation music wise seems to be worse than ever, the same rubbish music played over an awful sound system.

Najjer, I never thought I would ever say this but, thanks for your support! I was watching the Elite match on SKY last week at Wolves, music sounded up beat and great, announcer named the riders like a boxing announcer, played a howling wolf noise on victory parade, a firework after heat 15, all very cheesy perhaps, but it creates an atmosphere and surely better than standing in silence. Come on Somerset put on a show, some razamataz. The problem is of course you need to find someone to do it, but there must be a DJ out there somewhere who would be interested, need not cost a fortune and if it encouraged a few newcomers to come again, then money well invested.

Edited by oldtimer

What I don't ever understand is why the majority of none wearing rose tinted glasses fans can tell that the team isn't exactly great, those that put it together think some of the riders are good enough, when we clearly knew they are not. Where some teams like Somerset always seem to somehow put together some very good teams year after year.

Hello baldyman, well Im definitely not one of those who wear "rose coloured" glasses and I could see as soon as this team was put together it was simply going to win nothing and struggle in fact to make the top 6. Im very sorry to say that the management at foxhall do not seem to have that extra knowledge thats needed like many other teams management such as Somersets, when putting teams together and get carried away in their own fantasy world of belief. It looks like another long arduous season coming up to me and it remains to be seen how much longer the Witches fans will put up with it and will not drift away, it was bad enough this happening season after season in the Elite league but now its happening in the Premier league it may just be what breaks the camels back.

• Like 1

Hmmmm, previous post is credited to a user-name that's very similar to another doom merchant on these threads - style and tone seems somewhat familiar too! Another metamorphosis methinks!

Hello baldyman, well Im definitely not one of those who wear "rose coloured" glasses and I could see as soon as this team was put together it was simply going to win nothing and struggle in fact to make the top 6. Im very sorry to say that the management at foxhall do not seem to have that extra knowledge thats needed like many other teams management such as Somersets, when putting teams together and get carried away in their own fantasy world of belief. It looks like another long arduous season coming up to me and it remains to be seen how much longer the Witches fans will put up with it and will not drift away, it was bad enough this happening season after season in the Elite league but now its happening in the Premier league it may just be what breaks the camels back.

Hello Aljack

Hello Aljack

Agree, but a more fitting name, knowing jack al about things.

• Like 1

Sorry to say it looks like another long arduous season coming up for the long suffering Witches fans but will changes be made to an obviously under strength team, I for one very much doubt it until its to late to make any difference as that has always been the way of things that happen at foxhall. Real shame we are talking like this after only 3 matches as the Witches look destined for a lower half finish yet again :sad:

Lighten up man! You won't be the last team to take a pasting at the OTA this season. You've got the big hitting no.1 you wanted all last year plus the potential of Tungate, Heeps and Ellis. Don't give up just yet. :blink:

• Like 1