British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
barrow boy

Sheffield V Leicester League Cup Decider Thurs 11.04.13

Obviously not.

And that is one of the reasons why our away form will carry on being hit and miss.

i think you're right. It's the complacency that comes with being able to pop out the gate in a scoring position at BP and not having another worry in the world for 4 laps. as you said, i think the ability of Roynon and to a lesser extent Doolan being able to deal with these kind of tracks was the main they were added to the team.

That I understand, but what or who were you calling a dick?

I believe it's a reference to Dick Barrie, whom I believe introduced Facu to either Berwick last year or Sheffield this

I for one am willing to eat humble pie- sheff looking good and will finish higher than leicester im sure as they wont get beaten at home i dont think

Pity the home advantage tag wasnt mentioned with sheffield when they were losing at home last year?

Albin looks a good signing not sure on koppe though

Edited by ThePinstripe

Richard Hall get some flack from a few Sheff folk but he really seems to have the bit between his teeth this year

I believe it's a reference to Dick Barrie, whom I believe introduced Facu to either Berwick last year or Sheffield this

Ah, of course. Mr Barrie visits Argentina, so he'll know the scene. He was at Owlerton for the Birmingham match, with Facundo in the pits.

On last nights showing and last Thursdays the Sheffield team look a better outfit than last years. If they can maintain this form then 'happy days'. However like a lot of posts are saying it's early days but things do look a lot better than last year, so expectations are high.

Richard Hall does get his fair share of stick from the Tigers fans on here (guilty myself) but he has hit good form early doors & only mechanical gremlins have prevented him doing even better. Facu Albin his riding says it all - what a signing he is!

The posts from Leicester fans do have a lot of credibility and they have lost (for the time being) one of the best riders in the Premier league. Adam Roynon was very good at Sheffield last year & if he comes back with that form then the Lions will no doubt finish in the top half.

But back to last night Karlsson has never had his best nights at Sheffield & Doolan never has looked 100% comfortable around here, especially after his home straight spill in 2008 when riding for K Lynn. Bjerre didn't look as good as last year - was it because the Tigers riders got the better of him? He won heat 12 quite easily after passing Joe who's looked out of sorts up to now (is it his machinery?).

Thought the Lions reserves would have made a better show of it last night, but I think they will improve and I think it might be a lot closer meeting when they come back at the end of next month in the league meeting.

must eat humble pie i was one of hallys bigist critics but he is flying hope he keeps it up if we can sort haines out who was one of our best riders last year we will be great . worry about koppe cant ride our track at all yet

i think you're right. It's the complacency that comes with being able to pop out the gate in a scoring position at BP and not having another worry in the world for 4 laps. as you said, i think the ability of Roynon and to a lesser extent Doolan being able to deal with these kind of tracks was the main they were added to the team.

That's the point they weren't' popping out' of the gate last night. As Glynn said there were 5 passes in 60 hts and I think 3 of those were Lion passing Lion. The track is the same for both teams even if they did grade to advantage Hall and Stead.I did expect more from Doolan but it has been said he has equipment worries. Nielson is clearly not back to the standard he was last year. Has he come back too early? and will his confidence he suffer because of it? The enigma is Nemo. and i'm sure he wont mind me saying that as it's nothing he isn't asking himself at the mo I believe.

I seem to have lost the facility to* edit* posts and why is the forum now spell checking? I was going to say ;

Onwards and upwards

and Hall and Stead were worth the trip alone :-)

I'm looking forward to our trip there on Thurs, should be a good one, would be happy to come away with a point

Ah, of course. Mr Barrie visits Argentina, so he'll know the scene. He was at Owlerton for the Birmingham match, with Facundo in the pits.

yes in all moment Dick Barrie trust in Facundo, he help and open the door for go and practice in Berwick

Is one of the principal person to work for Facu go to UK, and David too. he gave a chance when Berwick down.-

The best team won on the night. As Sheffeild is one of the best racing tracks in the UK I saw only 5 passes all night. All by Leicester riders.

A good meeting but not a great result for us.

Yeah, actually Bjerre and Doolan racing each other was one of the highlights of the meeting. :rolleyes:

Sheffield really do have such a massive home advantage, I think they have only lost at home something like 8 times in 15 years. Which says it all really? Unless you ride the track week in week out its very difficult to get your set up etc right.

Give over, riders like Kauko Nieminen are experienced enough and have rode the track enough to get it right. Stop looking for excuses.

Fantastic result to get through to the semi final, certainly wouldn't have predicted that, this team is looking really promising so far.

Edited by tigerblues

Richard Hall get some flack from a few Sheff folk but he really seems to have the bit between his teeth this year

I think you will find that there was two reason why people complained about.

(1) Him riding at number 4 especially at home(not the lads fault he don't pick the side)

(2) His away form (Has improved, but the meetings he has done are Leicester and Scunthorpe two of his former tracks).

But back to last night.

Sterling performance from the Tigers and who would have thought that we would have topped the group, even without Adam Roynon you would have not tipped us do what we have done.

But unlike last season this team looks and feels more like a team, and although I don't think that we will make the Play Offs I think this team will spring a few surprises along the way this season, but next season I think we will see this team reap the benefits and maybe challenge for honours.

As for the meeting I would say after 4 heats I knew that we had the measure of Leicester and we were going to win by 7 or more,even when Leicester pulled it back to a 4 point deficit, never doubted it at all.

Team Performance

Sheffield

Simon Stead; Proving to be the proper number 1 and leader that we craved last season, and for me the best since Sean Wilson.

Facu Albin; Proving to be a big crowd pleaser and I only see him getting better.

Joe Haines; Looked down on power most of the night, but pop up in heat 12 and gave a Bjerre a decent ride. He will have better nights.

Richard Hall; Superb, and looks as though he could be finally producing what he has been promising the Sheffield speedway public for a fair few seasons.

Damien Koppe;Still trying to find his feet, and may need a bit more time to find it, but I think he will.

Jake Knight; Man of the Match for Jake The Snake for me, his race with Doolan in heat 14 nearly sealed the deal.

Leicester

Basically if they showed as much passion as their supporters maybe they may have made the Semi- Finals.

Mission Accomplished for the Tigers and we move on to next weeks visit of The Comets.

As Glynn said there were 5 passes in 60 hts

i must have missed the last 45 heats, what time did it finish?

• Like 2

That's the point they weren't' popping out' of the gate last night. As Glynn said there were 5 passes in 60 hts and I think 3 of those were Lion passing Lion.

Sorry Tina, but this wasn't the point i was making at all. Probably the fault lies in my explaination but there you go. My point being irrespective of how they actually rode or ride, the BP track affords a rider the ability to get away with poor preparation due to the fact that wherever you find yourself once you've 'popped' out the gate it's easier to defend your position than at most tracks that actually have lines to overtake on.

I fear we've moved on a little since yesterday now though :cry: , but i did want to make my point clear.