British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
lucifer sam

Scunny - Richard Hollingsworth Steps Down As Team Manager

HOLLINGSWORTH STEPS DOWN

SCUNTHORPE Speedway Promoter Rob Godfrey has announced that Richard Hollingsworth has stepped down from team managing duties for the Scunthorpe Scorpions.

Godfrey said: “Quite simply Richard was doing too much and he decided something had to give. I fully understand his decision because he does so much for this club. Nothing else will change and he will continue to organise the Saints’ team, the practices and the amateur meetings, along with a multitude of other jobs that go unseen.

“Of course we now have the job of finding a replacement, but the important thing is that Richard will remain involved with the club.”

After making the announcement Hollingsworth confirmed: “It is with a heavy heart that I am stepping down.

“It has been a tremendous honour and a privilege to manage my hometown club and I have been very lucky to be at the helm when it all came together for the Premier League title last year.

“If team manager was my only role at the club, I wouldn’t be making this decision, but I feel losing this aspect of my duties makes the most sense for both the club and me.

“I am still extremely passionate about the club and, in particular, the opportunities we offer to riders. I will be able to focus my energies on that, whilst I’m sure the Scorpions are still set for a good season whoever becomes team manager.

“I have enjoyed working with the riders and, I believe, the current set is a tremendously talented bunch that will be there or thereabouts when the trophies are dished out at the end of the season.”

The Henderson Insurance Scunthorpe Scorpions may not have to wait that long for silverware, as on Friday night (7.30pm start) at the Eddie Wright Raceway, they face the Newcastle Diamonds in the first leg of the Premier Shield.

Just to add a few words of my own.

Richard is 100% Scunthorpe Speedway through-and-through, as is his wife Anne.

I know this can't be a decision that he's taken lightly. But at the end of the day, there's only a certain number of hours in a day.

Anyone who has seen one of the amateur meetings at Scunny (and the scale of them) can appreciate the amount of work that goes into such a meeting, with sometimes 50+ riders in a meeting.

And that's only one of the many jobs that Richard does for Scunny.

He'll always have the satisfaction of team managing his hometown club to the 2012 Premier League championship - he was beaming like a Cheshire Cat that night!

Scunthorpe Speedway (and British Speedway for that matter, few people do as much for young riders as Richard) is lucky to have such a passionate and committed person as Richard Hollingsworth at the club.

All the best

Rob Peasley

• Like 5

Just to add a few words of my own.

Richard is 100% Scunthorpe Speedway through-and-through, as is his wife Anne.

I know this can't be a decision that he's taken lightly. But at the end of the day, there's only a certain number of hours in a day.

Anyone who has seen one of the amateur meetings at Scunny (and the scale of them) can appreciate the amount of work that goes into such a meeting, with sometimes 50+ riders in a meeting.

And that's only one of the many jobs that Richard does for Scunny.

He'll always have the satisfaction of team managing his hometown club to the 2012 Premier League championship - he was beaming like a Cheshire Cat that night!

Scunthorpe Speedway (and British Speedway for that matter, few people do as much for young riders as Richard) is lucky to have such a passionate and committed person as Richard Hollingsworth at the club.

All the best

Rob Peasley

Rob,

That was a very nice follow up to the press release. I am suprised that Richard has been able to do what he has done so far and with the amateur meetings getting bigger, and all the other work which he does for Scunthorpe, as well as having a full time job there has to be a limit on what one man can achieve, I am sure that Scunthorpe will find a suitable replacement for the Team Managers role and Richard will then be able to focus a little more on doing what he has done well since Scunthorpe opened.

Martin Widman .

• Like 2

May I just add a humble word of thanks for everything that Richard has done for Scunthorpe Speedway. Long may he continue to have the appetite to keep up his brilliant work with the Amateur meetings et al.

• Like 2