British Speedway Forum
lucifer sam

Scunthorpe V Newcastle - Friday, April 12th (premier Shield - First Leg) (7.30pm)

SCORPIONS CHASE PREMIER SHIELD

HENDERSON INSURANCE Scunthorpe Scorpions will be looking to pick up their opening piece of silverware of the season this weekend.

The Scorpions are involved in the Premier Shield, speedway’s equivalent to football’s Community Shield, featuring the league champions (Scunthorpe) against the current cup holders (Newcastle Diamonds).

The first leg takes place at the Eddie Wright Raceway on Friday evening (7.30pm), with the return at Newcastle’s Brough Park on Sunday (6.30pm).

Scunthorpe promoter Rob Godfrey said: “It is a chance to win some silverware. This is a proper Premier League competition. It’s not just a Mickey Mouse home-and-away challenge match; it’s a genuine official competition between the top two sides from last year.

“But unless we find some form, it is going to be a battle. We’re not quite performing at our top level so far this season.

“At the moment, we’re not riding like league champions. Newcastle have started the season like potential champions, so it’s going to be a tough night on Friday.

“But everything could click back into place. I’m sure it will be a good meeting with terrific racing. I hope we fire on all cylinders and get a comprehensive win, because we’ll need to take a good lead to Brough Park to stand a chance of the aggregate win.”

Godfrey admits several of his riders have yet to show their top form.

He said: “Ash (Birks) and Thomas (Jørgensen) are doing very well and they are our best two riders at the moment, rather than Josh (Auty) and David (Howe).

“Of course, Josh & David realise that, and know they’re not quite on the pace yet. Josh is good at home, but not quite there away. We saw that last year with Josh; he’s a slow starter to the season, but once he gets going, he’s well and truly away.

“Meanwhile, David has had almost a year off with injuries. He had a day practicing the other day, and he will get back to his best.

“As I keep saying, it’s not where you start, it’s where you finish.”

One change in Scunthorpe’s riding order sees Howe and Jørgensen swapping places – with Howe moving to No 2 and Jørgensen to No 5.

“David loves being out in the first race”, explained Godfrey. “Looking at Thomas’s scoring for our opening two home meetings, he’s finished last in Heat 1, but then only dropped a point in his remaining rides.

“We’re hoping the change in riding order will help fire the team up.”

Godfrey has paid tribute to outgoing team manager Richard Hollingsworth.

Hollingsworth will continue to stay heavily involved with the club, especially in regard to youth development at the Eddie Wright Raceway.

He took over the team manager’s reigns from the late Kenny Smith in 2009.

“It’s not a complete bolt out of the blue”, admitted Godfrey.

“Richard has done a terrific job in the last four years as team manager. He’s has been here as long as I have – he helped me build the place.

“He’s taken the kids under his wing, with the Amateur Meetings, the Saints team, and so on. That’s his big passion, and that’s now what he will be concentrating on.”

Godfrey also revealed the stress caused by the injury crisis that the club faced throughout much of the 2012 season (making it even more remarkable that the club ended the year as league champions).

“Last year, it was Guest City. It was really strenuous. When everyone else was tucked up in bed, Richard and myself would be up until around 1-2am in the morning, trying to book guests.

“The pressure was relentless. We had both Josh Auty & Nick Morris injured the night before a play-off match at Edinburgh. I think Richard was up all night securing guests.

“It’s not a job where you turn up and go home, it’s full on most days of the week, and when you need one, two, even three guests for some meetings, it’s so hard. With that and the weather, it took its toll on both Richard and myself last season.

“I think it was trying to secure a guest for Josh Bates at Leicester on Saturday that reminded Richard of all that again.

“I totally understand his decision to stand down as team manager. He has been doing so much for the club; he hardly ever had any spare time.

“Richard is still a big part of this club, and I thank him for all he’s done so far for Scunthorpe Speedway.”

Former Hull boss and ex-SCB referee Dave Peet will take over as team manager for Scorpions’ home meetings, while Godfrey will cover the job for away meetings.

This weekend sees Josh Bates return to action for the Scorpions. Bates picked up an ankle injury during last Friday’s Scunthorpe v Sheffield meeting, but a visit to hospital revealed no breaks.

Teams for Friday (English unless stated):

Henderson Insurance Scunthorpe Scorpions: 1. Josh Auty, 2. David Howe 3. Michael Palm Toft (Denmark), 4. Ashley Birks, 5. Thomas Jørgensen (Denmark), 6. Josh Bates, 7. Ryan Douglas (Australia).

Newcastle Diamonds (probable): 1. Stuart Robson, 2. R/R for Andrew Tully (Scotland), 3. Christian Henry (Australia), 4. Ludvig Lindgren (Sweden), 5. Richie Worrall, 6. Lewis Kerr, 7. Steve Worrall.

Admission Prices for Friday:

Adult: £14.00

Student/OAP: £12.00

Child (10 - 16): £5.00

Child (0 - 9) Free (accompanied by paying adult)

Family Ticket £33 (2 adults, 2 Children 10-16)

Match Programme: £1.00

Scorpions Info

Ashley Birks has now scored over 700 points for the club (726 to date).

David Howe has now made over 150 appearances for the club (151 to date).

Newcastle Diamonds at EWR

Ave Ave Best

Name Lge M R Pts BP (no BP) (w BP) Performance

Christian Henry PL 5 23 23 3 4.00 4.52 6 from 4 rides (2012)

Lewis Kerr PL 1 3 0 0 0.00 0.00

Ludvig Lindgren PL 3 14 31 1 8.86 9.14 14 from 5 rides (inc 4 pts T/R (2009))

Stuart Robson PL 4 20 42 3 8.40 9.00 11 + 2 from 5 rides (2012)

Richie Worrall PL 5 23 38 4 6.61 7.30 13 from 5 rides (2012 (for Scorpions))

Steve Worrall PL 26 109 103 24 3.78 4.66 10 + 2 from 5 rides (2011 (for Scorpions))

Other Notes

Christian Henry

Member of Glasgow's Premier League Championship Winners in 2011.

Member of Newcastle's Premier League KO Cup Winning Team in 2012.

Lewis Kerr

Rode as a Guest rider for Somerset in their 2012 League Cup Winning Team for the injured Tom Perry.

Captain of King's Lynn's 2013 National League side.

Ludvig Lindgren

Member of Wolverhampton's Elite Shield Winning Teams in 2010 and 2011.

Agreed a short-term deal to replace Sam Masters in a 'doubling-up' role with Wolverhampton in the Elite League.

Stuart Robson

Member of Coventry's Craven Shield Winning Team in 2000.

Member of Rye House's Premier League and Premier Trophy Winning Teams in 2005.

Member of Lakeside's Elite League KO Cup Winning Team in 2009.

Member of Newcastle's Premier Shield Winning Team in 2011.

Richie Worrall

Former Scunthorpe Saint.

Member of the Saints' National League Winning Team in 2011.

Member of Newcastle's Premier Shield Winning Team in 2011.

Qualified for the World Under-21 Finals in 2012, before injury prevented him taking part.

Steve Worrall

Former Scunthorpe Scorpion and Saint.

Member of the Saints' National League Winning Team in 2011.

Newcastle's Results at EWR:

04 April 2008 PT L Scunthorpe 55 Newcastle 38

16 May 2008 PL L Scunthorpe 56 Newcastle 36

08 May 2009 KOC (1) L Scunthorpe 65 Newcastle 25

07 August 2009 PL L Scunthorpe 51 Newcastle 45

14 May 2010 KOC (1) L Scunthorpe 49 Newcastle 41

23 July 2010 PL L Scunthorpe 52 Newcastle 39

01 April 2011 PL L Scunthorpe 47 Newcastle 42

30 March 2012 LC L Scunthorpe 46 Newcastle 44

13 July 2012 PL L Scunthorpe 48 Newcastle 42

Newcastle Diamonds' 2013 Results

30 March 2013 ITS A L Newcastle 42 Workington 51

31 March 2013 ITS H W Newcastle 54 Workington 40 (On agg:- W 96 - 91)

04 April 2013 TTT A W Newcastle 57 Redcar 38

07 April 2013 TTT H W Newcastle 58 Redcar 36 (On agg:- W 115 - 74)

(stats courtesy of John Eyre)

Depends if David Howe is back "on it" although a lot could depend on Birks he had a nightmare the last time he was on Tyneside....it will be close but I think the diamonds will clinch it over the 2 meetings. :approve:

Think this will be close home win on Friday(just) then comfortable home win on Sunday for the Diamonds

Hope I'm wrong and we can nick the silverware but I like the look of this Diamonds team,especially at home

Any weather updates from our Scunny friends would be greatly appreciated, especially for those traveling.

Hope to be there tonight.

I think much will depend on David Howe. He can be virtually unbeatable around Brough but he's only just come back from injury so much will depend on his form over the two legs.

Fancy Scunthorpe to win by 8-10 points tonight but the Diamonds by at least a dozen at home where Auty and Birks don't go so well, but Howe could change all that if he shows his normal Brough form.

Interesting to see if Ludvig can keep his form going on a bigger track against the likes of Auty, Howe and Jorgensen.

• Like 1

I must say that considering the 'Diamonds' start to the Season, they have to be the favourites. :t:

Fingers crossed that the Meetings can go ahead (weather) and all Riders stay safe. :unsure::)

Looks like the showers are staying away from Normanby Road looking at the "Rain Today" radar. Just a smudge or two south of the steelworks, but the track is north of the steelworks. ;) . Can a local resident confirm ?

Two miles away, dry but overcast, 10 degrees( heat wave) and no wind- perfect for speedway.

Two miles away, dry but overcast, 10 degrees( heat wave) and no wind- perfect for speedway.

I know you're lying cos it's never been 10 degrees in Scunthorpe :-)

• Like 1

Not looking great at the moment.

One of those nights when everything goes wrong. Can only hope they all get home with no injuries.