British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
screm

Berwick V Redcar Koc 13 Apr @ 7pm

i admire mr dudek, he reminds me of a young Victor Meldrum the way he rides for Zielona Gora

i admire mr dudek, he reminds me of a young Victor Meldrum the way he rides for Zielona Gora

• Like 1

Which concerns Berwick v Redcar how?

There's an International thread for your Dudek Appreciation Society.

Here we are experiencing - once again - the major problem with speedway.

I will get thumped for this, but I believe it to be true.

The fans.

They moan about the presentation.

It is improved.

They moan about the cost.

Admission is slashed.

They moan about the track.

It is improved.

They moan about team selections.

We get most of who people wanted (does any team get all 7 that everyone wants?)

They moan about not having a number 1.

We get one.

We moan about not winning anything.

We win the fours.

Then it is the close season.

Then the season starts.

They moan about, presentation, track, team selection, team management: probably not number 1, but heat leaders this year, losing a home meeting. If we're no way near the top of the league after a few meetings - which doesn't start until for 2 weeks yet - there will be greeting about it.

The fans make the sport feel like a miserable waste of time. They really do.

With rugby, fans talk - generally - enthusiastically about their teams. Of course there are grumbles, but they are not incessant, and utterly predictable in their nature.

That wasn't a very good meeting at all last night, but it is the first one that has been bad enough for me to be vocal about in probably the best part of a year.

The sport really isn't that bad.

The fans are atrocious and are killing the sport.

For that reason it is being strangled to death in the UK.

We'll soon be saying RIP British Speedway, unless we start turning up and supporting it properly.

I'll get pelters for this, but I'll stand by what I say, and I'm big enough to take it.

Said it before and will probably say it again but in my opinion and based upon my (extensive) travels around the country watching the sport no promotion has upped their game in attempting to attract more supporters in the last couple of seasons as much as Berwick.

• Like 6

Said it before and will probably say it again but in my opinion and based upon my (extensive) travels around the country watching the sport no promotion has upped their game in attempting to attract more supporters in the last couple of seasons as much as Berwick.

Totally agree with that. On the meeting, still in shock at the result! Certainly didn't see that coming!

The promotion are working hard at promoting Berwick,but if they aren't producing a good product, ie speedway RACING, then support will drop off. The track at Redcar for the first match, was very slick and bumpy, for the next match it was better but still slick. Too many race reports on the updates of many matches, ftg, spaced out, features to often. On Saturday many heats were spaced out producing little excitement. I think there was only two or three over takes all night, if there's no passing close racing can raise excitement which is what speedway fans want, not spaced out processional races. This problem seems to occur at many tracks and unless something is done then more supporters will stop going to the speedway. Speedway It isn't a cheap night out for a family, and if people aren't getting their monies worth they will spend their money elsewhere.

• Like 2

A few people (with local agendas?) will disagree, but the majority of British speedway followers will wholeheartedly agree with you.

Including the Sky crew, who are taking their cameras to Shielfield Park next month to cover Berwick v Newcastle -- another feather in the cap for the Berwick track, high presentation standards and promotion. Well done, Berwick!

• Like 3

GP Challenge last season, BenFund Bonanza in March, World U-21 Final in August -- and now Sky bringing cameras to Berwick next month!

Build a foam-fence and they will come!

Fabulous news for the north, and a "stick it right up you" for the two or three promotion-haters on here!

• Like 6

Well deserved, another honour for the Berwick promotion.

I'd be amazed if they don't now come up with some off-the-wall ideas to pack the place that night.