British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Dietbowers

Somerset V Rye House 12/04/13

After Somerset dropped points at Ipswich on Thursday, we really had to get something out of this and it is R/R and reserve scoring which has let us down.

As I've said before, we've got a team geared to score solidly from 1-7, whilst on some meetings, especially away, we have to support Kasper which is where having an experienced reserve like Lambert comes in. As much as it is good to give Ben these much needed meetings for his development, not getting an established guest, especially away from home is going to cost us. We've had 5 meetings this season, it's too early to write it off because of injuries.

After Somerset dropped points at Ipswich on Thursday, we really had to get something out of this and it is R/R and reserve scoring which has let us down.

As I've said before, we've got a team geared to score solidly from 1-7, whilst on some meetings, especially away, we have to support Kasper which is where having an experienced reserve like Lambert comes in. As much as it is good to give Ben these much needed meetings for his development, not getting an established guest, especially away from home is going to cost us. We've had 5 meetings this season, it's too early to write it off because of injuries.

It does seem ridiculous to throw Ben in at the deep end with 4.41 to play with for a guest.

Boring i know but all last season we wasted time with RR, didn't work then doesn't work now, ok we will get lucky at places like Plymouth but at top clubs we will be found out. Ben wasn't ready last year so what is different given that he has been thrown in without turning a wheel. Until he finishes a NL season with an average around 8 he shouldn't be used as we are wrecking any confidence he has. I liked the makeup of the side for this year as it has so much potential but why do we make the same mistakes year after year when injuries strike. Ok so the league has yet to start but there are too many ifs and buts regarding the return of injured riders just to plough on with rr and Ben. I suppose we will win comfortably against Plymouth and those in charge will be happy, but even they can't miss the fact that we are papering over the cracks.

Even if the league hasn't started the League Cup is up for grabs still, if it's a competition we aren't racing in to win and we're only interested in the league then why bother? If we progress from our group in the league cup we could go on to win it in my opinion.

Shows up the folly of Silver plodding along again. The guy has no ambition.

Changes need to be made ASAP as that team at the moment is way too weak. Unfortunate that two guys sustained serious injury but you can't wait for someone. Doubt either of them know when they'll be fit either.

Morley is clearly not ready and any idiot would get Garrity to reserve with Lykke.

It's my personal feeling. Spoilt from years of having a proper sized league. All these filler competitions do nothing for me. Ask someone in a year what the competition we won in 2012 was and no one will remember. League Cup is nothing more than a filler in a season that is worryingly thin. Only the K O Cup is worth going for outside of the league. As far as winning the League cup is concerned, we have an exciting team when we have seven riders but there are several teams that we would not get anywhere near on aggregate mainly due to what is now a weakness at home.

Good posts by WHB and Ben. I agree with most if not all that's been said.

Good result for the Rebels, I was a bit worried when Alex was deemed unfit, but Tom, Kyle and especially Josh stepped up to the plate to see the Rebs home.Nice to see Stefan among the points aswell which will do his confidence a lot of good. Don`t agree with the above about the League Cup being worthless, it involves all the clubs, and because in the early stages it is on a league status you can get away with a bad match and still maybe get through.By running it at the start of the season it allows the teams to bed in.Who is definitely going through from this group at the moment ? exactly , anyone of three.Ask any true sportsman and they will tell you it is all about winning trophies, and I for one hope the Rebels can make it into the next round.

Very True, unless you are a professional Footballer, then your priorities are slightly different....

I wouldn't say the League Cup was meaningless, but your No 1 priority this season surely is the League Title.

Good to see JG scoring well, Kyle also. Kyle still wants rides in the EL, but to do that he has to convince EL promotions that he is capable of doing a job, and by keep scoring well in the PL he will eventually get a chance. Tom Perry is starting to show he's still open to improvement.

I just hope for your sakes that Alex isn't to bad, because he will play a big part in your side this season..

Edited by Starman2006