British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
powderhall

Scottish Open Oldest In World?

Is the Scottish Open the oldest Speedway competition in the world? If it is why don't the Edinburgh promotion make a big deal of this? It started in 1928 I cant think of any others from that year that are still going.

London Riders never started until 1930.

It is certainly one of the oldest. l can only think of the Australian title that goes back a couple of years further (1926), and some of their State championships (Victoria 1926/27 season), Western Australia and Queensland (1927/28 season).

I agree, the Edinburgh promotion should make much more of a big deal of this fact and promote the Scottish Open Championship as THE speedway event of the year in Scotland.

To be fair to Edinburgh they have always tried to put their best foot forward when it comes to the Open. I'm not sure you'd get a lot of mileage out of billing it as Britain's Oldest/Longest Running speedway event but it certainly warrants a mention I'd say.

This year will be it's 85th birthday, there's a nice round number to stick on the publicity...

It is certainly one of the oldest. l can only think of the Australian title that goes back a couple of years further (1926), and some of their State championships (Victoria 1926/27 season), Western Australia and Queensland (1927/28 season).

I agree, the Edinburgh promotion should make much more of a big deal of this fact and promote the Scottish Open Championship as THE speedway event of the year in Scotland.

No the event of the year in world speedway is when the Glasgow Kittens get hammered by Royalty. The Open can come second.

Of all the places that held Speedway in 1928 there cant be many with direct links to a current club. Edinburgh, Glasgow, Wimbeldon and Belle Vue spring to mind.