British Speedway Forum
Shaleshifter

Belle Vue Aces Vs Poole Pirates 29/4/2013

Another twist in the tail from World Champion Chris Holder from the local, Daily Echo!?

Pirates: Captain Holder wants the four points from Belle Vue call-off

7:00am Friday 3rd May 2013 in Pirates News 1326930.jpg By Ian Wadley

CAPTAIN Chris Holder is urging the speedway authorities to hand Pirates four points in the wake of the postponement at Belle Vue.

The world champion claimed Poole should be awarded a victory after the Aces had controversially called off Monday’s Elite League clash.

Belle Vue, who issued an apology on Wednesday, previously reported that a burst water pipe had caused flooding at Kirkmanshulme Lane.

They had already confirmed that Artur Mroczka had withdrawn from the meeting due to injury and Holder alleged, via social networking website Twitter, that two other Aces stars, rumoured to be Matej Zagar and Magnus Zetterstrom, had missed their flights to the UK from Poland on Monday.

The heated fall-out and claims led the Speedway Control Bureau to announce a “full investigation” into the matter.

And after the Aces had said sorry, Holder insisted Pirates should not have to make another trip to Belle Vue. Asked if he felt Poole should be given the points, the Australian told the Daily Echo: “For sure. We shouldn’t have to go back up there because of a mistake by them. But if they don’t want to do that, reimburse us for our flights and travel, or give us the four points.”

Article Continues....... http://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/sport/speedway/piratesnews/10397300.Pirates__Captain_Holder_wants_the_four_points_from_Belle_Vue_call_off/

Edited by internetman

I can't comment as it is the subject of an inquiry.

You can't have an opinion?

Are you an official of the Belle Vue club and involved in the investigation?

Poole will get the 4 pouts but won't get the flight money back

Edited by Phil The Ace

I WAS simply asking for people's opinions on a hypothetical situation similar to that which occurred with BV on Monday but made it clear (or so I thought) that it was not specifically about what happened there and was in no way condoning it.

Both with riders missing through not fault of their own and teams unable to strengthen by fractions within the points limit I was (and still am) trying to ascertain views of the paying public.

Some people very quickly get their knickers in a twist.

Philip, I think we should go back to having all riders graded rather than their individual averages, as this might give a bit more flexibility and avoid the need for any average manipulation.

Philip, I think we should go back to having all riders graded rather than their individual averages, as this might give a bit more flexibility and avoid the need for any average manipulation.

Grade are just averages of averages. It makes no difference, if you only have room for a grade 4 rider but the rider available is a grade 5 it still won't fit any better than if you have 8.5 and the replacement is 8.51.

Grade are just averages of averages. It makes no difference, if you only have room for a grade 4 rider but the rider available is a grade 5 it still won't fit any better than if you have 8.5 and the replacement is 8.51.

You are entitled to your opinion.

, reimburse us for our flights and travel, or give us the four points.”

What a load of crap, as I posted on Monday the only people I feel sorry for are the Poole fans who travelled up and they should be refunded travelling costs & hotel to those that stayed.

It is Poole that pay for riders flights not Holder and what difference did it make, he had to be over here for Wednesday anyway as Sweden not started yet so he got to spend an extra evening with his partner & kid.

• Like 1

What a load of crap, as I posted on Monday the only people I feel sorry for are the Poole fans who travelled up and they should be refunded travelling costs & hotel to those that stayed.

It is Poole that pay for riders flights not Holder and what difference did it make, he had to be over here for Wednesday anyway as Sweden not started yet so he got to spend an extra evening with his partner & kid.

He was in Sweden Tuesday for P&P. he drow straight to stanstead from near manchester

Edited by Phil The Ace

If I could be Devil's Advocate for a second and avoid the slurry of mud being thrown the Aces way from all directions - doesn't this episode suggest that we need to put measures in place to prevent this kind of situation happening again?

1/ The oft suggested squad system would seem a good solution. If you have riders missing, simply replace them with riders from your existing squad?

2/ If a team is missing riders due to missed flights etc, isn't it better to postpone the meeting (with both team's consent) and race the meeting at a later date, rather than have a one sided thrashing watched by one man and his dog! Because it would be financial suicide for any club to put out half a team in a home meeting! They would be damned for telling the fans (as nobody would turn up!) and damned if they didn't (because people would be annoyed to turn up and find half a team missing!). And does it really help the sport when a National League rider is pitched into an Elite League fixture as a heat leader?

Speedway has enough integrity issues as it is, without further adding to it by putting out weakened teams and charging the paying fans full admission to see this!

Another problem speedway has is establishing clear facts and transparency - whatever happened on Monday is at this time open to pure supposition - what we need is a clear, efficient enquiry and a swift result - to stop the endless bickering, and maybe start moving the sport forward so that we can prevent this happening again, or at the very least, put measures in place to help clubs deal with the situation without causing all this controversy!

Or is that all too sensible?

The real victims here were any Poole fans who made the journey in advance and incurred costs - they should be reimbursed in full as a good will measure.

• Like 2

So was there a burst water main that the Aces management thought here's a chance to postpone as haven't got any riders, or was it we haven't got any riders so lets manufacture a burst water main. One is a lot more serious than the other (neither are trivial).

1/ The oft suggested squad system would seem a good solution. If you have riders missing, simply replace them with riders from your existing squad?

So it's 3pm, your riders have missed their flight, you contact your squad rider, lets call him Joonas Kylmakorpi. But Joonas is at home in Sweden/Finland and the last flight has left, then what? Also, where do you suggest these squad riders come from? you'd need 20-30 extra riders, they dont exist or dont want to ride over here.

2/ If a team is missing riders due to missed flights etc, isn't it better to postpone the meeting (with both team's consent) and race the meeting at a later date, rather than have a one sided thrashing watched by one man and his dog! Because it would be financial suicide for any club to put out half a team in a home meeting! They would be damned for telling the fans (as nobody would turn up!) and damned if they didn't (because people would be annoyed to turn up and find half a team missing!). And does it really help the sport when a National League rider is pitched into an Elite League fixture as a heat leader?

Speedway has enough integrity issues as it is, without further adding to it by putting out weakened teams and charging the paying fans full admission to see this!

I've already posted the solution, BV use a couple of guests, the fans go home happy having seen a meeting and "good racing", the result is then retrospectively amended to remove the illegal guests points.

How would the squad system have helped on Monday if the rest of Belle Vue's squad were also marooned due to the airline problems? If they were any good, that is!

AND the guests would have been?

I'm sure there were a couple of 6.5 EL riders hanging around or back in the country. What was Eddie Kennett up to? He doesnt ride in Poland AFAIK.