Beat the Bookie GP prize competition 2024 Read more... ×
British Speedway Forum
Shaleshifter

Belle Vue Aces Vs Poole Pirates 29/4/2013

I do feel for BV as they would have been caught in between a rock and a hard place but to lie about it all has just made them seem sneaky and win at all costs etc. Be honest, tell the fans , offer a reduction ( won't be paying big bucks out to the two missing riders) and go from there. The problem with Hans was not dealt with properly as it affected kings Lynn's gate. IMO Hans should have been banned for a home meeting with Swindon allowed a facility.

Is it fair to the other teams in the league if Poole are awarded points for a match they didn't ride? By awarding points to Poole you are disadvantaging every other team. You can't award points on the basis of what might have been the result....

It's perfectly fair. I believe it's how it works in football. BV couldn't stage the meeting, it should be deemed 75-0. How fair would it be for Poole to have to go back next month against a full BV team only for Holder and/or Ward to get injured in Poland the day before? Surely the ONLY fair thing to do is run the meeting without Zorro, Zagar and Mrockza.

It's perfectly fair. I believe it's how it works in football. BV couldn't stage the meeting, it should be deemed 75-0. How fair would it be for Poole to have to go back next month against a full BV team only for Holder and/or Ward to get injured in Poland the day before? Surely the ONLY fair thing to do is run the meeting without Zorro, Zagar and Mrockza.

I can't ever recall a football match being awarded. Even matches that are abandoned are replayed. If Poole qualify for the playoffs based on points awarded for a match that was never raced, that would be a bigger joke.

Punish Belle Vue by all means, but to gift points is wrong.

Asking for Belle Vue to race without half the team wouldn't be doing the sport any favours either. It's an unfortunate event, but Poole haven't actually lost anything.

• Like 1

Belle Vue have removed the apology from the official site... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

That's interesting. Both the original statement and the apology seems to have been taken down . Very strange. Is this because of legal advice? It's usually when lawyers get involved that people are told not to make any statements prior to an inquiry of some kind.

Asking for Belle Vue to race without half the team wouldn't be doing the sport any favours either. It's an unfortunate event, but Poole haven't actually lost anything.

But BV have never claimed that the match was postponed because half the team wouldn't be riding. That is the whole point. It is the fact that they gave what now seems to be a false reason for postponing the match and that is what makes it a serious matter.

Edited by E I Addio

Can't see the logic or point in taking statement and apology down - they existed and no doubt can be retrieved from cyberspace.

I can't ever recall a football match being awarded. Even matches that are abandoned are replayed. If Poole qualify for the playoffs based on points awarded for a match that was never raced, that would be a bigger joke.

Punish Belle Vue by all means, but to gift points is wrong.

In football, if one team is willing and able to play and the other team is not willing and able then the match is awarded as a win to the willing and able team.

That's interesting. Both the original statement and the apology seems to have been taken down . Very strange. Is this because of legal advice? It's usually when lawyers get involved that people are told not to make any statements prior to an inquiry of some kind.

It is still on the site, but not the front page

But BV have never claimed that the match was postponed because half the team wouldn't be riding. That is the whole point. It is the fact that they gave what now seems to be a false reason for postponing the match and that is what makes it a serious matter.

I know, they have admitted calling off in haste, no more. I wasn't suggesting they ride the rearrangement without the riders that were likely to be missing. Quite the opposite.

In football, if one team is willing and able to play and the other team is not willing and able then the match is awarded as a win to the willing and able team.

As I stated, not ever seen this applied. Maybe at amateur level, but we are talking of professional sport, allegedly.

I continually wonder why numerous contributors to speedway websites in general persistently compare the sport to football

Surely this is not valid comparison; about as valid as comparing the domestic cat to a lion!

Football is a worldwide sport with even the smallest nations having local teams and often natiional ones. Speedway, let's be honest, is a minor sport. Even in Britain there are many towns that do not have a club. How many speedway teams are are there in London now? Our national capital was once a hotbed of the sport.

Let's not delude ourselves. Speedway is a very minor sport and, sadly, in the prevailing economic era I cannot see it being anything more than that. Perhaps our sport could be fairly compared to ice hockey.

I continually wonder why numerous contributors to speedway websites in general persistently compare the sport to football

Surely this is not valid comparison; about as valid as comparing the domestic cat to a lion!

Football is a worldwide sport with even the smallest nations having local teams and often natiional ones. Speedway, let's be honest, is a minor sport. Even in Britain there are many towns that do not have a club. How many speedway teams are are there in London now? Our national capital was once a hotbed of the sport.

Let's not delude ourselves. Speedway is a very minor sport and, sadly, in the prevailing economic era I cannot see it being anything more than that. Perhaps our sport could be fairly compared to ice hockey.

I have to disagree with you. Comparing speedway to football is like comparing a MOUSE to a Lion! Its completely different.

Seriously, I have to agree with you. You cannot compare a minority motorcycle sport to Football.

Whether its a 'minority' sport, or the biggest 'sport' in the world is irrelevant in this context.

All that matters is it is a sport that follows rules. Belle Vue through their actions effectively forfeited the meeting.

• Like 3

Give Poole a 75-0, I'm bored of this now. I know Holder gets a nose bleed coming north of Birmingham anyway the whinging git.

Edited by jimmy jimmy
  • Like 1

Give Poole a 75-0, I'm bored of this now. I know Holder gets a nose bleed coming north of Birmingham anyway the whinging git.

That's whingeing World Champion git :wink:

That's whingeing World Champion git :wink:

Yes that's him

Whether its a 'minority' sport, or the biggest 'sport' in the world is irrelevant in this context.

All that matters is it is a sport that follows rules. Belle Vue through their actions effectively forfeited the meeting.

Yes we did, so give it to Poole.

I imagine that if the points were given to Poole without a wheel turned in anger, the other teams in the EL would be rather upset :party: