Beat the Bookie GP prize competition 2024 Read more... ×
British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Mimmo

Tweet Tweet

I've had quite a few people say to me recently that they are finding it more and more difficult to obtain certain bits of speedway news, especially regarding some of the junior meetings, now that we live in a world of Twitter and Facebook.

Not everybody has the ability, especially some of the older people, to understand how to operate those particular facilities, and rely purely on clubs websites or the BSF for their news.

Although I pick up bits 'n pieces from the aforementioned services, I must agree that the in depth service isn't as good as posting the easier to read details on the BSF or club website, although I always do manage to locate any information that I might want, he even though it can be very time consuming in doing so.

My own club for instance, are in the Midland Development League, and receive excellent advertising on Facebook, but sadly for those that can't use that service, miss out, as publicity isn't given in the other outlets. Other than Twitters or Facebook users, I wonder how many people know that there is a KOC match taking place this evening between King's Lynn and Milton Keynes.

Without Twitter, how many people knew that Luke Ruddick was injured at Northside on Sunday. Okay, I know some bright spark will say "Who really cares", but equally so, there will be those that do care, and like to be kept abreast of what's happening on our junior scene.

My reason for making this particular post, is because my ears are hearing more and more comments about the situation, and I just wondered if it's something that bothers people in a far larger area rather than just my small domain.

It would be good to hear other peoples views, even if you don't agree. All I would ask is that you don't insult the intellect of some of the more senior members who are bound to read this posting, just because they don't really understand how to use Twitter and or Facebook.

• Like 1

Yes Mike we did not know this match was on tonight.

We are neither Twitter nor Facebook users.

There is a lot to be said about moving with the times and clubs have to embrace twitter and facebook and any other developing form of media. The problem is that it now seems to be at the expense of other forms of communication and not as well as :cry:

• Like 2

Sadly the trend these days, and it has been raised elsewhere, is that sites like facebook, twitter, etc are gaining popularity at the expense of the traditional forums like the BSF and others.

A site that was once well established has not had a post made on it since May 2012, while another I visit regularly has been debating the lower message flow over the past couple of years.

Indeed, sites like facebook and twitter have their own discussion forums on speedway subjects, and one can also post photos on them. For my part, I did have a facebook membership for a time. In the end I hated it for its general appearance and the rambling factor of the topics running into each other so I ended my facebook link.

Of course, as with all forums, one gets 'weird' comments on major speedway events but in the end where saner counsels prevail you can find the basis of some excellent debate. As time stands at the moment, the British Speedway Forum holds sway by a very large margin as the premier source for objective comment on speedway subjects. At least I think so. In fact, yesterday I read in a national newspaper that facebook had lost a considerable number of posters over the past year so hopefully the novelty of these communication links may be coming to an end.

Edited by Guest

I agree with all comments, especially Lioness.

We have to move with the times (i.e. Twitter & Facebook), but we must also stop and consider older people, who don't understand that sort of communication.

It's a proven fact that the older you get, the less your brain can learn and remember, and when is all said and done, there is still one hell of a lot of aging people out there, supporting their respective clubs, as they have been doing for the past thirty, forty or fifty years or more. I've been a non-stop attender EVERY WEEK (holidays apart) for the past 55-years now, and whilst I do follow things to an extent on Facebook, I can't really get my head round Twitter.

My hobbies mainly involve statistics (yes I guess those sort too ;) ) so my brain is very active, yet I struggle at times with as I said Facebook and definitely Twitter, and if an active brain such as mine struggles, what chance have those that don't involve themselves in such things.

At the moment it feels like Facebook & Twitter are for those that go to work, who demand to be kept informed, whilst things like Forums are for the old folk in Residential/Rest Homes, who get forgotten about.

So come on promoters, press officers or whoever, don't just think of the younger generation supporting your clubs at this moment, think also of those people that have supported and kept you in business throughout the years, keep them informed too..........PLEASE.

If you are not getting your club news in the local media - newspapers and radio in particular - then your club's PR person needs a kick up their proverbial!! The BSPA website is as good as any other for listing fixtures and the latest news and is (usually) updated daily - but even that relies on individual club PROs to send the info in!!

We're in an unfortunate situation where most promoters and clubs need to bring in a younger age group, and the only way to do this is to appeal to them via the means of technology and accessibility - the downside to this is that 95% of promoters and clubs don't have the man power to have a dedicated team devoted to marketing, and thusly older means of communication have to suffer.

I agree there is a fine line here where we don't want to alienate our older fan base but at the same time not to come across to younger folks by baffling them with old means of promotion and communication. We don't want them to come across as archaic at all otherwise that will mud the message.

I'd like to think I have a viable solution but all I can say is that promoters need to bear in mind both target audiences when communicating news and finding that perfect line where its accessible to youngsters but also appealing to our older members too.