British Speedway Forum
wandersome

Somerset Vs Leicester Pl 3/5/2013

I read that Gary May could change the riding order for this match. For me Jason, Josh and Alex are our heat leaders, with Nick not as good as those three at the Oak Tree, a track he said he does not like. It does not make sense to have two heat leaders, Alex and Jason in heat 1, Alex has scored 11+2, 11+2 and 12+1 in his three Oak tree outings, so as our second top scorer lets put him at number 5 and Kyle at number two with an inside gate in heat 1. With Nick taking Kyles place at number 4, it will make us stronger in heat 14 where we are weak in a close match.

This post must have been used as an incentive.

Good speedway match all credit to the Lion's, 2 heat leaders down but still fought hard to make a match of it, the score do not reflect the racing but the Rebels on this form on a well prepared track would have beaten any team

Good speedway match all credit to the Lion's, 2 heat leaders down but still fought hard to make a match of it, the score do not reflect the racing but the Rebels on this form on a well prepared track would have beaten any team

We got an absolutely spanking but really , really enjoyed the racing. No lie to say more entertainment in one night at the oak tree than a season at BP. Good to see all our promoters were there to see what proper speedway racing on a proper speedway track actually should look like.

Edited by volty

What happened to two of Lions heat leaders? What was the score? What happened to the posters on this thread from the Rebels and Lions supporters? Did Robert Branford impress in his first meeting for the Lions?

Hope some of you Rebels can give me some answers. Can only assume Lions posters are too busy whingeing over the state of Beaumont Park's track or what a rubbish promoter we have.

Cheers JohnD7244

Enjoy your speedway.

• Like 1

What happened to two of Lions heat leaders? What was the score? What happened to the posters on this thread from the Rebels and Lions supporters? Did Robert Branford impress in his first meeting for the Lions?

Hope some of you Rebels can give me some answers. Can only assume Lions posters are too busy whingeing over the state of Beaumont Park's track or what a rubbish promoter we have.

Cheers JohnD7244

Enjoy your speedway.

See post above and you,ll see I covered both rubbish track and promoters. We got a tonking. 62-32. Nieminen took a very nasty fall before the first bend of a rerun heat 1, appearing to land on his head and although he took his place in the 3rd rerun of the heat, retired and was then withdrawn by the doctor with mild concussion. Bjerre withdrew so he could psyche himself up for the u-21s meeting in the comfort of his own home or something like that. Branford looked ok, he was probably a little unlucky to score only 1 and looks a better rider to me than Lewis Blackbird.

Lasse Bjerre couldn't get a flight in and then out again tomorrow so R/R for him. Kauko mild concussion in the 2nd re-run of heat 1 so he withdrew. All the Lions gave it a go but got well tonked 62-32 with Nick, Jason and Josh unbeaten by an opponent. Branford 1 point from 5 rides but got better as the meeting went on.

Plenty of passing but at two and a quarter hours on a cold night - a lengthy and drawn out meeting !

Lasse Bjerre couldn't get a flight in and then out again tomorrow so R/R for him. Kauko mild concussion in the 2nd re-run of heat 1 so he withdrew. All the Lions gave it a go but got well tonked 62-32 with Nick, Jason and Josh unbeaten by an opponent. Branford 1 point from 5 rides but got better as the meeting went on.

Plenty of passing but at two and a quarter hours on a cold night - a lengthy and drawn out meeting !

Mainly due to Leicester riders needing extra time after falls so unfair complaints I feel.

• Like 1

A thoroughully enjoyable meeting with passing inside, outside, crashes and even controversial decisions. Still failing to see how Newman got excluded when Graversen fell on his own in heat 8, but at the same time he was lucky to stay in heat 1 when he came through and whipped Graversen out cleanly on the inside. That said the referee made the right call when Nielsen came past Karlsson who literally just chucked the bike down on the track.

EDIT: http://ihitchcock.zenfolio.com/somerset_v_leicester_p_l/h5e020882

IDHs superb pictures prove my point on the Newman front. From that position how on earth can he be excluded when Graversen is jus laying the bike down when Newman is clearly way in front?

For the Rebels the top four were immense, with only Alex dropping points in one ride. Not bad going when you think they had 18 rides between them. Kyle looked much more on the pace and looked to be alot more attacking. Impressed again Nielsen, scoring points in every heat in the tricky no6 role. Perry only beat Branford from memory all night, and was lucky when stone dead last that the collision between Nielsen and Branford allowed him to get into 2nd. To me he's looking so underpowered and a concern for the Rebels.

Leicester tried but was never going to be in it after losing Kauko who is normally pretty good value at the OTA. This added to Bjerre's absense who was washing his hair and cutting his toe nails in preparation for a meeting tonight - one that I was led to believe Leicesters very own Simon Nielsen is riding in.. Hmmmm. Nielsen looked half decent early on and faded, Branford looked poor, Karlssson never interested until he made a good gate and was soon picked off.

Top notch racing, more of the same next time... And we had some half decent music last night too!!

Did Robert Branford impress in his first meeting for the Lions?

No, not really, lived upto the hype I gave him on the opening page of this thread.

spoke to kakke just after he was withdrawn and he couldnt even remember going out for the 3rd staging of heat 1. to be fair i think the concussion he was suffering was amazing considering how hard his head hit the shale i was about 20 ft away it was a thuddering bang and i was sure that his collar bone would of at least be broken if not worse. really does show how hard these boys are

I bet he was thinking he was completely seeing things when a 10ft rooster came over and asked how he was feeling :D

Edited by Najjer

Good meeting and good start for the Rebels last night. once the early race gremlins were out of the way. Jason Doyle is obviously your benchmark, but you have riders in the side this year who are going to push Jason for that No 1 position, so he will need to stay on his toes. But its not about an individual, its a TEAM game, and all the Rebels riders are open to improvement, and when they all get dialled in and proper back into the swing of things not only will you be very hard to be beat at home, but will take a good side to be the Rebels away, but they must take nothing for granted and im sure that Garry will make sure no complacency creeps in. One Piece this season should be enough....... Amen..

The new shale provided brilliant racing, the usually good Oak Tree track stepped up a notch last night to awsome. Full marks to Leicester for battling away after losing Nieminen and only 2 points from R/R, as often happens the score did not reflect the quality of the racing. An on holiday, Brummies supporter standing next to me said "God I could watch this every week." As already mentioned the new shale provided passing inside, outside and in places where no man had passed before, there are now more lines than on Mrs OT's face.

The way I saw heat 1 was that Kyle Newman just clipped Graversen who went down, in the re run Gravesen tried to get his own back on Kyle and took out Nieminen instead, and that was not just my opinion. The ref got two decisions wrong (what's new) in heat 7 Magnus Karlsson was excluded but it was Stefan Nielsen who knocked him off and in heat 8 Kyle was excluded but it was obvious to anyone, other than the blind, that Graversen should have been excluded.

Nick deserved to get rider of the night the best I have seen him ride at the Oak Tree. Tom still finding it hard work and it needs someone to point him in the right direction, Stefan looked more than useful now that the velcro sewn to his seat is keeping him on the bike. Also the music seemed louder, well done!

Edited by oldtimer

I was was stood on bend 2 facing Karlsson and Nielsen head on and Stefan Nielsen definately took Karlsson's line. He ran straight into him. Agree both Graversen incidents could have been called differently. Also surprised Stefan Nielsen wasn't excluded in heat 2 when he got out of shape and Branford ran into him. Looked close to crossing the white line to me at worst.

Edited by volty