British Speedway Forum
Shadders

Rye House V Sheffield (koc 1st Leg)... 11th May @ 8pm

All we know of the situation is here:

http://speedwaygb.co/news.php?extend.20252

Blame can be given to all parties in some part, but it would be ridiculous to put the blame completely on those in charge at Rye House with so many unanswered questions.

The promotion were told Nelson couldn't travel to the Ukraine, were they told that this meant he could ride in the Cup meeting at Rye? Only they know the answer to that.

Teams are supposed to be declared for meetings days in advance. We should surely have declared a guest for Nelson already as he was supposed to be in the Ukraine on Saturday and where was said guest on Saturday in case something like this happened?

As for the Ukraine situation, this is an international meeting, Rye House should not be responsible for Nelson getting to the meeting or into the country. That is down to the rider himself and the Australian Speedway governing bodies. What is their take on this?

We are also quick to say we had to put up with 3 races with 3 riders only, the Ukrainian fans had to endure three rider races due to the incident too I'm sure.

Why was the ban only made known to the rider and promotion twenty minutes before tapes up at Rye House?

Why was there no replacement rider in the Ukraine, had they been told Nelson wasn't going to be in the meeting?

There's plenty more question marks but it's impossible for anyone to give an informed opinion as there is such a cloud of mystery surrounding what happened and I honestly doubt we will ever find out the true story.

Why is it ridiculous? As soon as he was selected to ride abroad he was instantly unavailble for Rye no matter what the reason.

It was later that season Tyson Nelson turned up in the Rye House-orbit when he completed the season in the Lakeside-Rye House National League team racing as Hackney. Why did Sheffield race him under the name Tyson Barber?

He was never included in any Sheffield line-up because they couldn't get a work permit for him for the 2010 season under the name Tyson Barber.

But then in 2011, the same rider did get a work permit for Rye House, appearing in their line-up as Tyson Nelson, so he was riding for Rye House in that meeting I mentioned at Sheffield on 28-July-2011

I'm sure Rye House wrote "number-7 Tyson Nelson" when they confirmed their team to Sheffield a few days before that meeting (maybe just "Nelson" because they'd started using that single name for him in their home programmes).

But Sheffield wanted their fans to know it was the same rider they weren't able to sign the previous year so they told the racecard printer that Rye House's number-7 was Tyson Barber.

There have been loads of examples in plenty of different sports where a player is registered with one name but is better known by the fans and media with a nickname or different name - any football teams using a Latin American player with a one-word name have to write his full name on the teamsheet they hand into the match officials because that full name is the one registered with the FA or UEFA.

In speedway (and other motor sport), it's happened a few times that riders have used only part of their name (especially in the early stages of their career) because they haven't wanted their family to know they're doing something so dangerous.

I don't know the full story about Tyson Barber/Nelson but (as others have said already in this thread) not much seems to be normal about him !!

He was never included in any Sheffield line-up because they couldn't get a work permit for him for the 2010 season under the name Tyson Barber.

But then in 2011, the same rider did get a work permit for Rye House, appearing in their line-up as Tyson Nelson, so he was riding for Rye House in that meeting I mentioned at Sheffield on 28-July-2011

I'm sure Rye House wrote "number-7 Tyson Nelson" when they confirmed their team to Sheffield a few days before that meeting (maybe just "Nelson" because they'd started using that single name for him in their home programmes).

But Sheffield wanted their fans to know it was the same rider they weren't able to sign the previous year so they told the racecard printer that Rye House's number-7 was Tyson Barber.

There have been loads of examples in plenty of different sports where a player is registered with one name but is better known by the fans and media with a nickname or different name - any football teams using a Latin American player with a one-word name have to write his full name on the teamsheet they hand into the match officials because that full name is the one registered with the FA or UEFA.

In speedway (and other motor sport), it's happened a few times that riders have used only part of their name (especially in the early stages of their career) because they haven't wanted their family to know they're doing something so dangerous.

I don't know the full story about Tyson Barber/Nelson but (as others have said already in this thread) not much seems to be normal about him !!

all sounds rather odd, its informative never the less though....

Im still curious as hell - I never knew he used to be Tyson Barber, dont know how that one missed me by. I used to watch out for results from Aus for the youngsters as well and dont remember seeing a 'Barber' then either :blink:

Sheffield do have a bit of a history of being a bit naughty with their race cards though when they dont get their own way - I remember their listing for Eric Carillo (who? lol)

I believe Tyson Barber is his real name. Interesting that hew couldn't get a work permit as Tyson Barber and he then wanted to be known as Nelson (not even his real surname) so why all the secrecy?

As for riders riding under fake names, Sam Ermolenko is actually Guy Allen Ermolenko and Mark Burrows is actually Dermot Burrows.

Why is it ridiculous? As soon as he was selected to ride abroad he was instantly unavailble for Rye no matter what the reason.

Of course it is. There are two sides to every story at least. There appears to be more to this one but we have heard only one side, no-one except those involved can know what happened exactly and where the blame lies. Who knows, maybe it was just crossed wires.

Always seems to be troubles where this boys concerned.

The bspa stood their ground and should be applauded in this instance.

Just to clarify something -- long before he turned up at Sheffield, Rye House or anywhere else, he was riding as Tyson Nelson in Australia.

In January 2010, their "Down Under" column in "Speedway Star" had Dick Barrie talent-spotting a 16-year-old Ty Nelson running in their U-21 Championship under guidance from Mitch Shirra, and doing well enough to qualify for the World U-21 rounds.

So he was Nelson even then.

Of course it is. There are two sides to every story at least. There appears to be more to this one but we have heard only one side, no-one except those involved can know what happened exactly and where the blame lies. Who knows, maybe it was just crossed wires.

The key to Tyson Nelson's Ukraine "visa refusal" is this;

(1) when did he know of his election for the WU21 meeting and (

2) why was he sorting out his visa on Friday May 20 just 24 hours before the meeting?

Perhaps the FIM were unhappy about the circumstances in which the Ukranians refused Tyson Nelson a visa to enter their country. After all, going to their office in London on the day before the meeting to finalise a visa does seem rather odd. Most people sort these things out a long while before travel.

Nelson would have had by virtue of his entry to the meeting a Chevnograd a bona-fide invitation to travel there and this documentation is usually recognised by those who issue visas. IF Nelson knew he had been refused permission to travel to the Ukraine he should have sought his release from that event by the FIM and would then have most likely been granted permission to ride for Rye House against Sheffield.

It does appear to have been a unilateral decision of Nelson's being refused a visa to ride in the Ukraine so he'll line-up against Sheffield - with no sanction for this to happen being sought. On that basis the FIM ban was justified.

Of more interest - and I doubt we'll never get the answer - why did the Ukrainian visa office in London refuse him a visa? Could it have been anything to do with the problems that saw him being refuse a visa to enter the UK from Australia for the 2012 season - that dispute dragged on it seems for months and months.

As regards last year it wasn't just him that couldn't get a Visa, wasn't Travis McGowan refused permission as well and this year we have Sam Masters and Mason Campton also not being given permission to race here so perhaps it's the Aussie authorities that are at fault?

As regards last year it wasn't just him that couldn't get a Visa, wasn't Travis McGowan refused permission as well and this year we have Sam Masters and Mason Campton also not being given permission to race here so perhaps it's the Aussie authorities that are at fault?

I think that in the cases of Masters and Campton it is the British, not Australian authorities who have created the situation.

In any case, their permissions being denied have nothing to do with Tyson Nelson going to the Ukraine or not.

it would be difficult to proportion blame to one authority or another without knowing the full facts of each individual. However it does seem that the common denominator here is that they are all Australian which does look rather suspicious!!

I think that in the cases of Masters and Campton it is the British, not Australian authorities who have created the situation.

In any case, their permissions being denied have nothing to do with Tyson Nelson going to the Ukraine or not.

The British authorities not letting a foreigner in???? Don't make me laugh we let anybody in. Mind you Masters does have a job lined up and somewhere to live and speaks the language. Blimey no wonder they don't want him here! :wink:

• Like 1

Fairly sure that the Aussie visa problems originate at their end of things, not the British end