British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
cityrebel

Kent Kings V Iow 13/5/13

Updating my own query: I have seen an estimate elsewhere that it was a possible 1,000 (near enough!) attendance for the Kent Kings v IoW match.

If so that's a marvellous attendance at any level.

Updating my own query: I have seen an estimate elsewhere that it was a possible 1,000 (near enough!) attendance for the Kent Kings v IoW match.

If so that's a marvellous attendance at any level.

It is indeed a possible excellent attendance but is only a forum member's estimate. But if correct is certainly encouraging for the new venue.

It was a very good turn out last night shads, before the rain spoiled it. The meeting was run at a fast pace with the riders at the tapes for heat 1 dead on 6.30. The kings side does need strengthening though, to help maintain crowd levels.

It was a very good turn out last night shads, before the rain spoiled it. The meeting was run at a fast pace with the riders at the tapes for heat 1 dead on 6.30. The kings side does need strengthening though, to help maintain crowd levels.

That's my main worry c-r. Have the PA issues been addressed? That was the main gripe on BH Moday for those who weren't in the main stand. I should think that would be the stadium owners responsibility, but someting that definitely needs seeing to.

Went last night and despite the score really enjoyed it.Lets just get this into perspective - New Venture - New Team - New Track - Finding our feet.We all know that the IOW team is strong for this League - yes?Only the second meeting on the track (thought it rode a lot better last night,but still a way to go ).For the Kent riders it is still like riding a away track,but things will improve in time.Boxall class rider,but having little luck with ONLY bike.Morley looks really good,a real battler.Mason,good enough to win races,but at his age he knows his limits on track.Kirby improving all the time (a real battling 2nd in Heat 7).Woods,really hard at moment being in main body of team - his Heats = Boxall/Perry-Boxall/Young/Ellis - Boxall/Hopwood.Kingston,great gater- just needs to see his races out (hope he is OK after last night).Coles,yes he is struggling with pace and again very hard in main body.Crowd last night we thought was around 1,000,so not bad at all.Also have to say listening to fans they seem to know it will take time for the team to get going. :D

As has been said by many the team needs strengthening ,,easier said than done Our top man Steve Boxall is on a huge average 11.38 leaving little to play with i dont know of any 3 to 4 pointers out there that would do any better, to be fair i have seen all these young riders ride considerably better at Rye House where the track is much smoother ..jack Kingston is a good gater and has pace but needs to calm down a little to make more controlled improvement..Adam Kirby had one excellent ride to show what he can do,,needs to bring that ride to the fore on a regular basis. Connor Coles showed great potential last season but is on very old equipment and it shows ,,same can be said for Sam Woods who is desperate for some faster bikes......At the moment, and he may need a little time to get dialed in David Mason is not looking like the 7.32 ave heat leader he should be.i feel he just needs the track to improve more than anything else ,he has good equipment and i know he will be working hard to improve,,Ben morley will do a good job for the team as second heat leader and will be looking to up his game and improve his 7.82 average this season..Steve Boxall is a superb rider has only one bike though, which could prove problematical on occasions. . his.engine blew on monday very exspensive !..An 11.38 ave is a tall order for any rider to live up too ,but if any one can do it Steve can...Time for the riders and the track to improve is whats needed,, it is to be hoped the fans will be patient.....

• Like 2

Well done to everyone, Yes IOW are a strong Team of that there is NO doubts.

A message to Kent, you have to realise, and realise VERY quick, this is a Stand alone Team, and as such you Stand or fall on your results, YES you could put out a Team like this as a nursery Team, but as a Team on there own you cannot Track a Team thats going to struggle to get a result at home, and wont win an meeting away. Now i dont know if Kent intend to only do 1 season in the NL, but what i do know, is they need to strengthen up, you cannot go into Meetings with Coles, Woods, Kirby, and Kingston, they are all more or less all 3 point riders, Mason is past his best, but its understandable to have an experienced rider as your captain. I dont know what the average situation is, and having an 11.38 av rider, and a 7.32 av rider who is on the way down, doesnt leave much room for manouvre, but for there own good, this Team needs strengthening. I dont mean to criticise, i want to see Kent competitive, because the novelty of being a new Team/Track wont last forever.

Edited by greyhoundp
  • Like 1

That's my main worry c-r. Have the PA issues been addressed? That was the main gripe on BH Moday for those who weren't in the main stand. I should think that would be the stadium owners responsibility, but someting that definitely needs seeing to.

the pa seemed fine in the main stand where i was sitting shads. there were a few people on bends 1 & 2 but bends 3 & 4 were closed, so i don't know if it was working in those areas.

the pa seemed fine in the main stand where i was sitting shads. there were a few people on bends 1 & 2 but bends 3 & 4 were closed, so i don't know if it was working in those areas.

Had no trouble hearing it in the main stand on BH Monday, but we moved out to sit in the sun on the 1st bend grass where we couldn't hear it. There were speakers in the area, but not working.

luckily the p.a. was able to drown the perishing high-pitched whistles being blown by a few in the main stand....

not heard the like before any where else that I can recall...

as annoying as them pesky vuvezela thingy's

Edited by Mike.Butler

luckily the p.a. was able to drown the perishing high-pitched whistles being blown by a few in the main stand....

not heard the like before any where else that I can recall...

as annoying as them pesky vuvezela thingy's

it's better than the sombre atmosphere at arlington mike! :wink:

[som-bre] Show IPA

adjective

gloomily dark; shadowy; dimly lighted:

dark and dull, as color, or as things in respect to color: .

gloomy, depressing, or dismal:

extremely serious; grave:

any meaning in particular Tony? 1. the referees box, 2. the car park ticket, 3. the arlington micro-climate, 4. the away form ?

Edited by Mike.Butler

Excellent facilities at Central Park and apart from the tedious "opening ceremony" both meetings have been run been well run in my opinion. The much maligned curfew has meant that the meetings are run at a decent pace and on both days the crowd has been enthusiastic. To maintain the interest of new supporters and therefore protect the business itself the club needs to (1) find a hero (either a rider who is going to dominate home meetings or one who gets in and fights above his weight), (2) somehow stop it being a Kent rider who is last to cross the finish line in every race (in some cases half a lap behind) which will hopefully lead to (3) matches being closer, and eventually won. Let's hope that IOW really is the top team it's cracked up to be and that other visitors provide easier pickings!

Had no trouble hearing it in the main stand on BH Monday, but we moved out to sit in the sun on the 1st bend grass where we couldn't hear it. There were speakers in the area, but not working.

Says in tbe article on Kents opening in last weeks Star tbat the PA on the bends has to be turned off to prevent potential complaints from some local homeowners.

Excellent facilities at Central Park and apart from the tedious "opening ceremony" both meetings have been run been well run in my opinion. The much maligned curfew has meant that the meetings are run at a decent pace and on both days the crowd has been enthusiastic. To maintain the interest of new supporters and therefore protect the business itself the club needs to

(1) find a hero (either a rider who is going to dominate home meetings or one who gets in and fights above his weight),

(2) somehow stop it being a Kent rider who is last to cross the finish line in every race (in some cases half a lap behind) which will hopefully lead to (3) matches being closer, and eventually won. Let's hope that IOW really is the top team it's cracked up to be and that other visitors provide easier pickings!

Well we know that won't be David Mason after the activities of the past two days!!!

Says in tbe article on Kents opening in last weeks Star tbat the PA on the bends has to be turned off to prevent potential complaints from some local homeowners.

And I guess those same local homeowners will be keenly watching the finish time curfew is adhered to?