British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
colinc1968

Ron James

Can anyone give me any info on a rider called Ron James I've looked on the net but no luck he lived in are village and I've seen pics of him racing but that's all don't no what clubs etc any help would be great

Thank you

Can anyone give me any info on a rider called Ron James I've looked on the net but no luck he lived in are village and I've seen pics of him racing but that's all don't no what clubs etc any help would be great

Thank you

It would possibly help if you named the village and county when Ron James lived then research could be in regard to local tracks where he may have appeared. It would also, of course, be of assistance in regard to the year(s) when the photos you mention were taken? Are there any of him with a race jacket showing an emblem. You are sure he was a speedway rider and not a grass track rider?

All I know is he was a speedway rider in the 50s well that is what he told me I did see the pics but I never asked what team he raced for sorry he moved to are village in the late 80s but never knew from where.......sorry I'm not much help

The only riders I can recall with that surname were the brothers Ticker and Ken James who were at Poole in the late 1940s.

The name of Ron James remains very much a mystery - at the moment. The name of Ron James does not register as a team rider in the 1950s - he may have been just a trainee somewhere. A location of somewhere would be a good line - where is your village?

The James' brothers at Poole were Dennis 'Ticker' James and Ken James.

Ron James was a former Rye House junior. He made four appearances for Ipswich in the Southern League in 1952, Hope that helps.

Thank you for that, so was that where it ended for him or did he carry on .

Ron James was a former Rye House junior. He made four appearances for Ipswich in the Southern League in 1952, Hope that helps.

Thank you for that, so was that where it ended for him or did he carry on .

I thnk what tiger owl has posted covers the full extent of the speedway career of Ron James.

I thnk what tiger owl has posted covers the full extent of the speedway career of Ron James.

Ron James rode for Ipswich at Southampton (0 from 2 rides), at Rayleigh (0 from 1 ride) and at home to Wolverhampton (1 from 2 rides) and Swindon (0 from 2 rides). He also rode for Ipswich at Norwich in a charity match (4 from 2 rides).

Hi Ron James was my dad, he rode for Ipswich witches in the 50’s.  You said he lived in your village, where was that as you seem to have known him.  Sadly he’s no longer with us but he was fantastic.  I know he used to take his bike on the train from London to Ipswich!  Hope that helps.

• Like 2